Author Topic: Getting Double Nines with Fochlucan Lyrist  (Read 8049 times)

Epimetheus

• Bi-Curious George
Re: Getting Double Nines with Fochlucan Lyrist
« Reply #20 on: November 29, 2010, 05:58:01 AM »
I don't know if Chameleon is legal, but if always choosing Arcane Focus as your Aptitude Focus counts as having 3rd lvl arcane spells (for SC) then this seems like a very powerful build:

For a human (with high wisdom and charisma. Moderate intelligence needed, maybe.)

Rogue 2 [evasion and skills]
Druid 1 [druidic. +2 fort save. Perhaps even use the variant that gives Wis mod to AC, when unarmored. Ur priest might not violate the druid code, so all you'd lose is spellcasting.]
Bard 2 [bardic knowledge and skills. The music is nice too.]
Chameleon 3 [3rd lvl arcane spells, and the last +1 to the fort save]
Ur Priest 2 [more than 1st lvl divine spells and super fast divine progression]
Sublime Chord 2 [quicker arcane progression]
Fochlucan Lyrist 8 [onwards to double 9s]

1: Iron Will
1h: Able Learner
3: Malign Spell Focus (or Spell Focus (evil) depending on which version of Ur priest)
6: Extend Spell
8c: Free floating feat... Super useful.
9: Persistent Spell
12: Divine Metamagic (Persist)
15: Extra Turning
18: Extra Turning or (Alternative Source Spell, which theoretically might allow you to persist an arcane spell you know instead)

(For example, persisting something fun like Sirine's Grace could boost your AC and perform up quite a bit.)
(The feats from 6 onwards are up to you though.)

This gets double 9's, and a decent number of lvl 9 spell slots.
Persist Divine Power for BAB, if you really care about that. You have 14 otherwise, which is probably fine. With all your spell slots, you'd probably be casting spells the whole time.
You can also have fun with Inspire Courage too.
And your free-floating feat could be used to craft items.

Caelic

• Hong Kong
« Reply #21 on: November 29, 2010, 11:54:49 PM »
I don't know if Chameleon is legal, but if always choosing Arcane Focus as your Aptitude Focus counts as having 3rd lvl arcane spells (for SC) then this seems like a very powerful build:

'Fraid not.  Chameleon spellcasting explicitly can't be used to qualify for prestige classes.

Rebel7284

• Grape ape
« Reply #22 on: November 30, 2010, 12:08:35 AM »
Factotum 8/Savage Bard 1/Ur Priest 1/Sublime Chord 1/Fochlucan Lyrist 9

Ring of Evasion for Evasion
Roleplay (or hell, pay for a wish) for Druidic
Precocious Apprentice+Illumian Race for 3rd level spells
Negative level on a chicken would make it a wight the next day.  Chicken the other wight meat. -borg286

kalaskaagathas

• Bi-Curious George
  • "Seek Perfection of Character" - Gichin Funakoshi
« Reply #23 on: December 04, 2010, 03:43:54 AM »
Ok, so an update on this.  I'm intending to play this character for a Forgotten Realms game, and the DM likes the idea of me making a caster with double nines.  For house rules, he's given Fochlucan Lyrist full Druidic ability advancement (Wildshape, Animal Companion, and such) in addition to Bardic Music advancement.  He's also willing to lower the skill and spellcasting requirements on Sublime Chord, and to make it fully advance Bardic Music (rather than advancing it by one per two levels).  All books are open (including Dragon 311, for Green Whisperer), save setting specific material (except Forgotten Realms Material).  I'm not sure what race to go with, I was thinking Human, but with the Unseelie Fey, Divine Minion, and Shadow Creature templates tacked on (for free).

Can I get a build out of this that gets 9th level Sorc/Wiz casting (from Sublime Chord) and 9th level Druid casting?

A wizard variant (Filidh) also has Bardic Knowledge, but it does give up a ton of class features, so it may not be worth it at all.

Where is this from?  I find it intriguing.

Epimetheus

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #24 on: December 04, 2010, 04:07:24 AM »
The base classes index from Crystal Keep, but that was taken down. They may be available elsewhere...

The index says that Filidh is found on DR324 pg 90

Change a few skills and weapon proficiencies.
Lose Scribe Scroll, Familiar, and ability to specialize for Bardic Knowledge
Lose Bonus feats every 5 levels for Greater Divining +N (which boosts your CL by N for divine spells)

Overall, a lot weaker than wizard, but I suppose some people might be okay with it.

kalaskaagathas

• Bi-Curious George
  • "Seek Perfection of Character" - Gichin Funakoshi
« Reply #25 on: December 04, 2010, 04:09:48 AM »
Yeah, that is much weaker.  Too bad, I've wanted to build a pseudo bard out of the wizard, and never could find a way to do it.  That would work, if it weren't for everything it gives up.