Author Topic: Good lvl 1 adventure for a solo game  (Read 1132 times)

LordBlades

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
Good lvl 1 adventure for a solo game
« on: November 27, 2010, 10:08:38 AM »
My GF has recently expressed interest in seeing how D&D is like.

Since I can't bring her to my gaming group(because we play at a pretty high optimization level and she also has a few personal issues with a couple of guys) I want to run a solo adventure for her (maybe with 1 npc by her side or such).

Anyone can recommend a nice and simple adventure for lvl 1 chars?

Havok4

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • It can only be attributable to human error.
Re: Good lvl 1 adventure for a solo game
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2010, 12:59:43 PM »
Do you want ideas or modules? I can give you a few ideas but you will really have to figure out what she wants to play first and then build the campaign around that, unless she plays a very generalist class like the factotum or binder. You should probably have a few social skill and roleplaying challenges to start out. Then a few instances of combat, then infiltration or dungeon crawling and finally resolution and treasure. This sounds like trying to deal with a local group of thugs in a medium to small village, you learn about them bothering the townsfolk and a small group of them ambush you, you defeat them and then go to their base which is a large house on the edge of town and you find a way to get rid of them.

I would recommend trying to get her to play a class that is fairly self sufficient and easy to run like the ToB classes, factotum, dragonfire adept or warlock.

Vynar

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2010, 03:05:26 PM »
I would first try to find out what type of character concept she likes or finds interesting then tailor something to whatever level of complexity the two of you want.

Phrennzy

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2010, 07:32:23 PM »
Definitely start with some roleplay and move into combat, keeping it low powered.  Much better if a new player walks all over the competition than gets killed on their first outing.

During combat, I would emphasize the action using as much description as possible, the point being to increase the immersion.

Soda

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2010, 07:49:56 PM »
Check out Oakspar's Lessons from DMing with my GF.