Author Topic: Jaunter Prestige Class. What are your opinions on it?  (Read 7665 times)

Dusk Eclipse

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
    • Email
Jaunter Prestige Class. What are your opinions on it?
« on: November 27, 2010, 01:12:42 AM »
Jaunter is a nifty and interesting prestige class found in the Expedition to the Demon web pits, it really appeals to me as it can help me fulfilling one of my favourite character concepts. A mobility-based character, specifically a teleport by-attack.

The class is only 4 level long, but give nice abilities powerful abilities.

Over the course of the class one gets
Benign Transportation, Baleful Transportation, Teleport, Plane Shift as Su abilities; usage per day depends on your jaunter level, dex modifier and the ability itself (for example Teleport uses two "charges" while Bening transportation just one).
Fast movement
Freedom of movement up to 8 rounds a day
Dimension Door like ability. Actually more similar to Shadow jump, you can as a move action teleport as if using Dimension Door up to 30 feet per class level per day (so 120 maximum); but you can ration the distance teleported.

in a 3/4 BAB, good reflex save, decent HD and decent skill list chassis.

All in all a nice class right? but the deal breaker is the adaptation section that mentions that this class can become a full casting advancement class, by changing the SLA to add to the spell list (nice for sorcerers and Favoured souls).

I am considering using this class in a gish build in the near future, but I want to hear what you thing about it first.

Vynar

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
    • Email
Re: Jaunter Prestige Class. What are your opinions on it?
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2010, 02:14:38 AM »
I fully expect you to yell "BAMF" after ever jaunt and dress like Nightcrawler. Sadly I am not familiar with the class but I immediately thought of shadow pounce.

CantripN

• Hong Kong
  • Constantly talking isn't necessarily communicating
    • Cantrip, Gestalt Gish
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2010, 06:06:12 AM »
I like it a lot, but IIRC, it only adds the spells to your Spell-list, not Spells Known. Means you still need to pick them the usual way, unless you're a Beguiler/Warmage/Dread Necromancer.
Read, every day, something no one else is reading. Think, every day, something no one else is thinking. Do, every day, something no one else would be silly enough to do. It is bad for the mind to be always part of unanimity.

gorfnad

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2010, 06:31:36 AM »
I fully expect you to yell "BAMF" after ever jaunt and dress like Nightcrawler. Sadly I am not familiar with the class but I immediately thought of shadow pounce.
Well, it is a way to enter the Telfammar Shadowlord prestige class. Not the most efficient way, but it is one that works.

Waazraath

« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2010, 09:16:12 AM »
I think it can work great with the adaption variant. Human wizard 1 (martial variant) can give you all the prereqs to enter the jaunter prestige class (save maybe one, see below). Wizars 1 / jaunter 4 has full casting progression and +3 bab, and all the prereqs to enter swiftblade. Add (for a very simple build) swiftblade 10 and abjurant champion 5, and you'll end up with 18 BaB and 16th level casting, replace last level swiftblade for 1 level spellsword to get 18 BaB 17th level casting.

InnaBinder

• Grape ape
  • OnnaTable
    • Okay - - Your Turn: Monte Cook's Message Board
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2010, 10:58:03 AM »
I like it a lot, but IIRC, it only adds the spells to your Spell-list, not Spells Known. Means you still need to pick them the usual way, unless you're a Beguiler/Warmage/Dread Necromancer.
The fact that it's 4 levels long means that it synergizes especially well with the list casters, too.  If you've taken one of the above caster classes to 6th in order to get 3rd level spells and qualify for [insert 10 level PrC], Jaunter neatly finishes out your build.  This is especially handy for those DMs who don't take the 'classes are a metagame construct' point of view and expect a character to finish out any prestige classes entered - and posters dealing with that particular houserule are fairly common on the forums.
Winning an argument on the internet is like winning in the Special Olympics.  You won, but you're still retarded.

I made a Handbook!?

sir_argenon

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2010, 11:38:24 AM »
I think it can work great with the adaption variant. Human wizard 1 (martial variant) can give you all the prereqs to enter the jaunter prestige class (save maybe one, see below). Wizars 1 / jaunter 4 has full casting progression and +3 bab, and all the prereqs to enter swiftblade. Add (for a very simple build) swiftblade 10 and abjurant champion 5, and you'll end up with 18 BaB and 16th level casting, replace last level swiftblade for 1 level spellsword to get 18 BaB 17th level casting.

no, spring attack is a requirement for jaunter, and you need a bab of +4 to get that.

Waazraath

« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2010, 01:55:17 PM »

no, spring attack is a requirement for jaunter, and you need a bab of +4 to get that.

I stand corrected... damn, it seemed too good to be true  :(

Tshern

• Clown Prince of Crime
  • Organ Grinder
  • Aistii valoa auttavasti
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2010, 05:39:28 PM »
It doesn't actually advance casting either, does it?

Edit: The adaptation!

Handy Links

Waazraath

« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2010, 06:12:41 PM »
Yeah, the adapted version does

symisin

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2010, 12:06:40 AM »
where is the adaptation located?

awaken DM golem

• Organ Grinder
  • PAO'd my Avatar
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2010, 10:12:44 PM »
And what's the wording on it?

but the deal breaker is the adaptation section that mentions that this class can become a full casting advancement class

Niice find.

Carnivore has a Jaunter build or two. Always a good start.

Dusk Eclipse

• Email
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2010, 10:15:29 PM »
I don't have the book at hand; but IIRC the adaptation only changed the spell like abilities to adding the spells as spell known, other than basically the same.(might have reduced the HD but I am not sure.)

Phoenix00

« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2010, 02:44:39 AM »
I don't have the book at hand; but IIRC the adaptation only changed the spell like abilities to adding the spells as spell known, other than basically the same.(might have reduced the HD but I am not sure.)
Also changed the BAB to the type that the entering class uses thus .5 for wizards.  Personally I find this to be BS for you have to spend 3 crap feats to get in, it requires 4 BAB to enter, and all it gains you is a freedom of movement effect and some spells known big whoop.

carnivore

• Grape ape
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2010, 08:27:05 AM »
it is a Great Class  ......especially for Dex based Martial characters

it is easy to get into ..... early entry is a Breeze

Fighter 4
Swashbuckler 3/ Fighter 1
Sawshbuckler 1/ Barbarian 2/ Fighter 1
Ranger 2/ Fighter 2
etc....

you will have awesome Travel abilities very early ...... ECL 8 +good Dex = WIN

if the Full Spellcasting Adaptation is allowed ...... it would be great for any Gish build

:D

RobbyPants

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2010, 11:24:11 AM »
So you don't need casting to get into the original version?  Nice! :D
My balancing 3.5 compendium
Elemental mage test game

Quotes
[spoiler]
Quote from: Cafiend
It is a shame stupidity isn't painful.
Quote from: StormKnight
Totally true.  Historians believe that most past civilizations would have endured for centuries longer if they had successfully determined Batman's alignment.
Quote from: Grand Theft Otto
Why are so many posts on the board the equivalent of " Dear Dr. Crotch, I keep punching myself in the crotch, and my groin hurts... what should I do? How can I make my groin stop hurting?"
Quote from: CryoSilver
I suggest carving "Don't be a dick" into him with a knife.  A dull, rusty knife.  A dull, rusty, bent, flaming knife.
Quote from: Seerow
Fluffy: It's over Steve! I've got the high ground!
Steve: You underestimate my power!
Fluffy: Don't try it, Steve!
Steve: *charges*
Fluffy: *three critical strikes*
Steve: ****
Quote from: claypigeons
I don't even stat out commoners. Commoner = corpse that just isn't a zombie. Yet.
Quote from: CryoSilver
When I think "Old Testament Boots of Peace" I think of a paladin curb-stomping an orc and screaming "Your death brings peace to this land!"
Quote from: Orville_Oaksong
Buy a small country. Or Pelor. Both are good investments.
[/spoiler]

awaken DM golem

• Organ Grinder
  • PAO'd my Avatar
« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2010, 10:29:12 PM »
hmm ... so the adaptation "sounds" different.

X 2 or 3 / Ardent 2 or 3
get some Psiotheurgist (teleport)/psychoportation action
qualify for Nar Demonbinder ... I'm a little foggy on this
then go Cerebremancer for a while.
If you don't come to me, I'll go get you.

skydragonknight

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2010, 10:55:20 PM »
It would be an amazing PrC in Gestalt with it and Shadowlord on one side and the casting class on the other.

You want to challenge gestalt characters? A group of Duskblade 13//Fighter 4/Jaunter 4/Swordsage 1/Teflammar Shadowlord 4s is scary, Arcane Strike Full Arcane Chanelling every time they use or are effected by Dimension Hop(Swift), Benign Transposition(Standard) or my favorite, Regroup(Standard).

Edit: Feat Rogues work better than Fighter. Why not regular rogue for sneak attack? I just can't spend non-bonus feats on the spring attack line without feeling physical pain, that's why.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2010, 11:08:50 PM by skydragonknight »
It always seems like the barrels around here have something in them.

Mixster

• Grape ape
« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2010, 04:06:03 PM »
Feat Rogues work better than Fighter. Why not regular rogue for sneak attack? I just can't spend non-bonus feats on the spring attack line without feeling physical pain, that's why.

Two Sneak Attack Fighter 3/Swashbuckler 10//Feat Rogue 4/Jaunter 4/Swordsage 1/Teflammar Shadowlord 4 ; With Daring Outlaw. Could work very very well. Goofing around and constantly switching positions, with dimension doors and stuff they would be tremendously useful.
One of them teleports into close combat, or moves there, then benign transpositions the other into that combat, so the other guy can full attack come his turn. Then they teleport to flank, and do loads of funny things.
Monks are pretty much the best designed class ever.

JaronK

Meep Meep - Mixster out