Author Topic: [CO Project] Pure SRD Builds  (Read 42678 times)

Faithless tbe Wonder Boy

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
Re: [CO Project] Pure SRD Builds
« Reply #80 on: February 23, 2011, 03:12:26 PM »
For an infiltrator/scout-type, I would go with...

Wilderness Rogue 2/Ranger 3/Horizon Walker 7/Wilderness Rogue +8

Human, focusing on Int and Dex (I'd probably go 16 in each), dumping Charisma.  Wisdom or Strength would be the tertiary focus.  I'd lean toward Wisdom, personally - Listen and Spot are two of your most important skills, and bonuses to Survival and Will saves don't hurt.  YMMV.

1- (Rog1) Point Blank Shot, Precise Shot
2- (Rgr1) Track
3- (Rgr2) Rapid Shot, Open Minded
4- (Rgr3) Endurance
5- (Rog2)
6- (Horizon Walker1) Underground Terrain Mastery, Far Shot
7- (Horizon Walker2) Plains Terrain Mastery
8- (Horizon Walker3) Forest Terrain Mastery
9- (Horizon Walker4) Hills Terrain Mastery, Manyshot
10- (Horizon Walker5) Marsh Terrain Mastery
11- (Horizon Walker6) Shifting Planar Terrain Mastery
12- (Horizon Walker7) Cavernous Planar Terrain Mastery, Improved Precise Shot
13- (Rog3)
14- (Rog4)
15- (Rog5) Greater Manyshot
16- (Rog6)
17- (Rog7)
18- (Rog8) Alertness
19- (Rog9)
20- (Rog10) Skill Mastery (Hide, Spot, Listen, Move Silently, Search, Disable Device, Survival)

This is primarily a skills-focused build, so skills are worth discussing, I guess.

Big skills to max out would be the four major opposed-roll skills (Hide/MS/Listen/Spot).  Search, Disable Device, and Survival will get some healthy focus as well, and may as well be maxed out, but since they ARE dealing with fixed DCs, they can take a hit here or there.  Other skills worth having some ranks in are the agility skills (Tumble until I can consistently hit DC 25, at least 5 ranks in Balance and Jump), and Open Lock.  I'd probably toss a few extra ranks in Jump (Shifting Terrain Mastery makes jumping a bit pointless, but it's still nice to have in case I want to jump as part of a move action), and maybe a few in Climb and Use Rope (Climbing DCs are easy to hit, and bonuses via items are easy to come by, but it's nice to have the ranks at lower levels, and you'll feel really cool when you can scale a brick wall during a sleet storm with no magic).

Honestly, I'd play this SRD-only build in any game and I don't think I'd feel left behind (although in a non-SRD only game, I would probably use Able Learner, and drop the Manyshot feats and Alertness for Darkstalker and some non-core archery feats).  +17 BAB, ridiculous skills, solid archery, tremorsense, darkvision, and Dimension Door every 1d4 rounds.

Faithless tbe Wonder Boy

« Reply #81 on: February 24, 2011, 03:17:15 PM »
Also, it's so basic it is barely worth mentioning, but the Transmutable Memory alternate class feature for wizards makes for a pretty solid scry-and-die style character:

Transmuter 10/Loremaster 10

Primary focus on spells would be three-fold: buffing spells (Abjuration and Transmutation primarily), Scrying spells, and teleportation spells.  Pretty simple, really.  Scry and do research on where you're going, apply the appropriate buffs, and teleport in.  The important class abilities in this case would be Spell Versatility and Transmutable Memory, especially the latter.  Transmutable Memory means that you can prepare some basic buffs, but also shift your spell list around after scrying, to make sure you've got the appropriate spells.

This is about as basic as it gets.  Prestige Bard could give +2 CL to Enchantment/Div/Illusion spells and the ability to cast in light armor, but since it costs a caster level to do so, I don't think it's really worth it.  A level of Archmage might not go amiss just for Arcane Reach, although most of the other High Arcana aren't the most useful - and a level in Archmage means missing out on either an extra spell from Spell Versatility or on the Loremaster's capstone True Lore ability.

For feats, Skill Focus (Knowledge) is required, and any buff-focused build pretty much NEEDS Extend Spell and Quicken Spell.  I'd also take Enlarge Spell; it makes things like Detect Thoughts, Clairaudience/Clairvoyance, and Locate Object/Creature a lot more useful.  I would ban Evocation and Necromancy - you can pick up key spells like Forcecage or some of the Necromancy gems off of Spell Versatility anyhow.

Faithless tbe Wonder Boy

« Reply #82 on: February 25, 2011, 04:21:42 PM »

Jopustopin

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
« Reply #83 on: February 25, 2011, 04:51:02 PM »
Afflicted Were-Rat Kobold: Core Only Assassin

Rogue 1/Were-Rat 1/Rogue 3/Assassin 10/Elderitch Knight 1/Fighter (Thug Variant)
+2 LA

32 Point Buy:

Str: 6
Dex: 24 (28 +4 levels)
Con: 16
Int: 16
Wis: 10
Cha: 8

1: Two-Weapon Fighting
2: Iron Will, Alertness, Weapon Finesse (All Bonus Feats)
3: Combat Expertise
6: Ability Focus (Death Attack)
9: Improved Two-Weapon Fighting
12: Improved Feint
15: Urban Tracking
17: Greater Two-Weapon Fighting
18: Quick Draw

This isn't impressive but thought I'd post this guy's naked ac:
Naked AC @ 20: 24 (+1 size, +9 dex, +4 natural)  

BAB: +13

ninjarabbit

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #84 on: February 26, 2011, 11:28:28 PM »
tiefling transmuter6/eldritchknight9/archmage4
ACF: martial wizard
Barred schools: enchantment, evocation

Feats:
1-combat expertise, improved trip
3-spell focus x
5-EWP: spiked chain
6-improved familiar: earth elemental
7-power attack
9-spell focus y
12-quicken spell
15-skill focus (spellcraft)
18-improved initative

Garryl

• Hong Kong
« Reply #85 on: February 27, 2011, 01:07:22 AM »
A Guide to Free D&D - A resource of free, official D&D resources on the web.
General listing of my homebrew.
Links to things I've worked on
[spoiler]
Idiot Crusader, refreshing maneuvers for free every round.
The Opposed Checks Handbook - Under construction.
Adaptations Handbook - Under construction.
[/spoiler]

Faithless tbe Wonder Boy

« Reply #86 on: February 27, 2011, 05:11:48 PM »

How are you getting Spring attack with only +3 BaB at Psion 6?

Gah, good point.  You could add a quick dip into Ranger, which frees up a feat but drops the build to ML17, or just ditch Elocator entirely and go the classic Psion 10/Slayer 10 for BAB +15 and ML19.  (I'd personally do the latter, even if it's a bit boring - an extra attack at 20th level is nice but not game breaking.)  The real focus of this build is at early to mid-levels levels anyhow, when the Jungle Halfling's Poison Use plus Psionic Minor Creation really shine.

awaken DM golem

• Organ Grinder
  • PAO'd my Avatar
« Reply #87 on: March 02, 2011, 10:26:43 PM »
Rakshasa can't officially be in this until level 14.
I have no problem constructing a SavSpecies racial class for it.
(especially since there IS a savage species racial class for it)
Major parts are effectively Outsider 7 / Sorc 7 , and fill in the rest.
Gets weaker as the levels go higher.. Sorc +1 is a minimum.

Of course ... the 3.0 version makes more sense,
what with the 8th level spells immunity.
No easy way to get Metamorphic Transfer goodies going,
unless you like the last Polymorph errata.
But hey, a Skin Of Proteus was on your mind anyway.
Custom Item to deal with the Crossbow Bolt weakness, should be mandatory.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2011, 05:16:13 PM by awaken DM golem »

ninjarabbit

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #88 on: March 03, 2011, 09:01:22 PM »
Mr SDR Scary

Desert Half Orc Barbarian5/half orc paragon3/blackguard10/fighter2

ACFs:
Dragon Totem barbarian, whirling frenzy

Feats:
1-power attack
3-improved sunder
6-cleave
9-ability focus: frightful presense
12-divine might
HP-item familiar
15-skill focus: intimidate
18-improved critical
Fighter1-improved bullrush
Fighter2-improved overrun

Faithless tbe Wonder Boy

« Reply #89 on: March 03, 2011, 10:10:18 PM »
I like Mr. SDR-scary, but is there any real reason to take Blackguard past level 3?  Barbarian 12/HOP 3/Blackguard 3/Fighter 2 would give you +4 to the DC of your Frightful Presence, two more rages a day, Greater Whirling Frenzy, and some minor DR.  I'd trade that for a few dice of sneak attack, two smites, and a mediocre companion any day.

ninjarabbit

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #90 on: March 03, 2011, 10:53:45 PM »
You're right, I was just looking for an excuse to use the dragon totem barbarian. Plus I kinda like the fiendish servant, it's like a crappy familiar and it can use the aid another action.

How about barbarian5/HOP3/Blackguard5/barbarian7 as a reasonable compromise, improved bullrush and improved overrun were throwaway feats anyways.

Faithless tbe Wonder Boy

« Reply #91 on: March 04, 2011, 05:14:14 PM »
Actually, now I want to make a Planar Binding/Magic Jar-focused SRD-only Sorcerer.  Three levels of Paladin of Tyranny (or Blackguard - Blackguard has no alignment restrictions, Intimidate as a class skill, and is slightly more front-loaded, but that three feat pre-req hurts) plus Battle Sorcerer, Improved Familiar for an Imp familiar (good to cart around your Magic Jar gem, can use your Intimidate skill to help with the save debuffing).  Focuses on save debuffing and combat buffs.  Binds outsiders, debuffs saves, and does typical body swapping nastiness for a less typical gish.

RelentlessImp

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #92 on: March 04, 2011, 08:22:12 PM »
Actually, now I want to make a Planar Binding/Magic Jar-focused SRD-only Sorcerer.  Three levels of Paladin of Tyranny (or Blackguard - Blackguard has no alignment restrictions, Intimidate as a class skill, and is slightly more front-loaded, but that three feat pre-req hurts) plus Battle Sorcerer, Improved Familiar for an Imp familiar (good to cart around your Magic Jar gem, can use your Intimidate skill to help with the save debuffing).  Focuses on save debuffing and combat buffs.  Binds outsiders, debuffs saves, and does typical body swapping nastiness for a less typical gish.

It's not SRD, but have you eyeballed the Tomes PRC Stranger with the Burning Eyes? If you get a chance to play with the material, I recommend it.

Sorry, I have no SRD builds to contribute.
Solo on Essentials
I prepared irresistible phantasmal killer today... as a 4th level spell.
"He hit me with a flaming garbage can...and then the god damn hobo next to it!"

ninjarabbit

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #93 on: March 04, 2011, 09:28:46 PM »
human ranger1/ex-paladin1/blackguard10/assassin8

Feats:
1-power attack, EWP: spiked chain
3-improved sunder
6-divine might
9-cleave
12-item familiar
15-ability focus: death attack
18-improved initative

18 BAB, 7d6 sneak attack with HiPS, 4th level blackguard and assassin spells

Faithless tbe Wonder Boy

« Reply #94 on: March 05, 2011, 03:55:26 PM »
Jazee

"I got 99 problems but a DM ain't one..."

Human, Bardic Sage 20

1- Improved Initiative, Skill Focus (Diplomacy)
3- Item Familiar
6- Ability Focus (Suggestion)
9- Leadership
12- Disguise Spell
15- Enlarge Spell
18- Ability Focus (Mass Suggestion)

SPELLS KNOWN:
0- Detect Magic, Ghost Sound, Light, Prestidigitation, Mage Hand, Read Magic, Lullaby
1- Detect Evil, Grease, Silent Image, Cause Fear (retrain to Identify), Charm Person, Disguise Self
2- Detect Thoughts, Glitterdust, Tongues, Silence, Locate Object, Calm Emotions, Shatter
3- Arcane Sight, Haste, Fear, Scrying, Glibness, Major Image
4- Analyze Dweomer, Locate Creature, Shadow Conjuration, Dimension Door, Sending, Freedom of Movement
5- Contact Other Plane, Greater Scrying, Greater Dispel Magic, Shadow Evocation, Summon Monster V, Mislead
6- True Seeing, Otto's Irresistable Dance, Geas/Quest, Summon Monster VI, Sympathetic Vibration

Charisma should be maxed at every opportunity.  Intelligence needs to be at least 16, but boosting it just helps with skills, bardic knowledge, etc.  At low levels, just focus on singing and general utility.  Start using Detect Evil/Detect Thoughts/Locate Object/Arcane Sight to make the Search skill useless, and Fear/Fascinate effects to help soften up saving throws for the rest of the party.  Around level 13 or 14 it really does become a DM's nightmare - Contact Other Plane or Greater Scrying, absolutely ridiculous Bluff/Diplomacy/UMD, and bardic knowledge in the 20s.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2011, 04:29:16 PM by Faithless tbe Wonder Boy »

Faithless tbe Wonder Boy

« Reply #95 on: March 08, 2011, 10:52:24 AM »
For another 20-level build...

Human, Psychic Warrior 20

FEATS: Psicrystal Affinity, Psionic Body, Power Attack, Psionic Meditation, Psionic Weapon, Mounted Combat, Ride-By Attack, Deep Impact, Spirited Charge, Expanded Knowledge (Metamorphosis), Trample, Expanded Knowledge (Schism), Greater Psionic Weapon, Extend Power, Reckless Offense, Iron Will

POWERS
1- Expansion, Metaphysical Weapon, Vigor
2- Hustle, Psionic Lion's Charge, Energy Adaptation, Specified
3- Dimension Slide, Vampiric Blade, Empathic Transfer, Hostile
4- Metamorphosis (EK), Schism (EK), Steadfast Perception, Psionic Dimension Door, Psionic Freedom of Movement
5- Oak Body, Adapt Body, Psychofeedback
6- ALL OF THEM! (Grab Dispelling Buffer and Personal Mind Blank first.)

Uses a lance, rides his psicrystal (shared Metamorphosis), and uses Power Attack + Spirited Charge + two-handed lance + buffs + Deep Impact to deliver lots of really nasty charges as touch attacks.

ninjarabbit

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #96 on: March 08, 2011, 01:12:39 PM »
human cloistered cleric8/prestige paladin3/thaumaturgist5/cloistered cleric4

Feats:
1-mounted combat, ride-by attack
3-spirited charge
6-power attack
9-spell focus: conjuration
12-quicken spell
15-divine might
18-improved initative

Yeah this is what a regular paladin wishes he was.

Mixster

• Grape ape
« Reply #97 on: March 08, 2011, 01:47:52 PM »

I really like the usefulness of this build.
You are both a powerful Manifester, and a useful debuffer with your poisons. Creating tons of black lotus extract and firing it at enemies is a fun way to be useful early in the game.
You can still stay useful with astral construct at mid levels when your BAB might not be high enough to warrant hitting things with your poisons, unless you somehow get wraithstrike.
Monks are pretty much the best designed class ever.

JaronK

Meep Meep - Mixster out

Faithless tbe Wonder Boy

« Reply #98 on: March 14, 2011, 07:43:23 PM »
Rogue 20 potion thrower, but you probably know about this one already.  (Ok, there probably exists a rogue/assassin build that's better, but that would require work).  TWF tree, rapid fire, sleight of hand 1 rank (to draw potions as free actions without using a feat on quickdraw).  Simple, effective, won't feel embarassed to play with the Druid 20, Cleric 20, and Wizard 20 party.

Eh, why not.

POTION THROWER 1-
Human, Rogue 5/Assassin 10/Rogue +1/Barbarian (Whirling Frenzy Variant) 4

FEATS: Point Blank Shot, Precise Shot, Quick Draw, Rapid Shot, Improved Initiative, Skill Focus (Craft (Alchemy)), Improved Precise Shot, Brew Potion

(You could replace the Barbarian with Fighter to get the feats to take the TWF feat tree, but Whirling Frenzy will also net you an extra attack plus some AC boosts, and has better skills and I just plain like it better... anyhow, can't start crafting alchemical items to throw until level 6, but plays as a solid rogue, gets full Assassin casting, and can throw six potions a round by the end, as ranged touch attacks, pulling in +8d6 sneak on each.)

POTION THROWER 2-
Human, Rogue 1/Cloistered Cleric 1/Rogue +18

DOMAINS: Knowledge, Luck, Travel

FEATS: Basically the same, but no Brew Potion, sadly.

(Needs a spellcaster dip in order to be able to craft alchemical items, so I took a dip into Cloistered Cleric instead of Assassin, which gives a daily re-roll, one round of Freedom of Movement, and access to some Cleric spell-trigger items.)

POTION THROWER 3-
Human, Rogue 1/Diviner 1/Rogue +18

ACFs: Fighter Feat Wizard variant, "Prescience" in place of bonus spells

FEATS: The same, but it gets an extra one in there at second level.

(Gets one extra feat and a familiar compared to the Cleric version - and familiars are awesome for skill-focused builds.  Also, Wizards have better stealth spells for spell trigger devices.  It doesn't get the Luck domain re-roll, but Prescience is pretty nice, getting to add +Int to an attack roll, save, or skill check once a day.)

ninjarabbit

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #99 on: March 14, 2011, 08:39:45 PM »
Nature's Assassin

Human rogue1/wildshape ranger7/passive way monk2/assassin10

Feats:

1-improved initative, combat reflexes
3-item familiar
6-natural spell
monk1-combat expertise