Author Topic: Magic Versus Mundanes - The Double Standard  (Read 51228 times)

Endarire

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
Re: Magic Versus Mundanes - The Double Standard
« Reply #81 on: December 01, 2010, 01:01:59 AM »
What do you mean by 4E?
Hood - My first answer to all your build questions; past, present, and future.

Speaking of which:
Don't even need TO for this.  Any decent Hood build, especially one with Celerity, one-rounds [Azathoth, the most powerful greater deity from d20 Cthulu].
Does it bug anyone else that we've reached the point where characters who can obliterate a greater deity in one round are considered "decent?"

Ramaloke

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
    • Email
« Reply #82 on: December 01, 2010, 03:26:20 AM »
It's depressingly common to see a situation where the response to "my DM's rules don't allow for (suggested build/exploit)" is "your DM is wrong and you should convince him to change it".
Well, yes, but KV's dms are getting better.

I'm not even talking about lunatic DMs - even "my DM doesn't use this book" is often enough met with "well, you should tell your DM to let you use it". Maybe it seems disproportionately to be the case because of how frustrating it is to me when that happens.

I think allot of that has more to do with the commonly known (at least amongst the folks on this board) and held as truth statement "Core itself isn't balanced, and so the idea that certain sourcebooks should not be allowed to maintain balance is retarded."
Favorite Songs
Passing Afternoon Like A Stone Wish You Where Here
~\-----------------/~

Bauglir

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • TriOptimum
« Reply #83 on: December 01, 2010, 03:31:17 AM »
Indeed, banning "Races of Eberron" because Warforged, Shifters, and Changelings don't exist in your campaign and you don't want to flesh out the impact they'd have on the world is a legit reason. Banning it because you think it's broken doesn't seem terribly reasonable, unless I'm forgetting something.
So you end up stuck in an endless loop, unable to act, forever.

In retrospect, much like Keanu Reeves.

Lycanthromancer

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #84 on: December 01, 2010, 03:35:42 AM »
Indeed, banning "Races of Eberron" because Warforged, Shifters, and Changelings don't exist in your campaign and you don't want to flesh out the impact they'd have on the world is a legit reason. Banning it because you think it's broken doesn't seem terribly reasonable, unless I'm forgetting something.
Thing is, they don't need to have an impact on the world beyond what a standard-issue PC would already have (though that impact may be different than with a member of a more 'normal' race). Warforged are merely intelligent golems, while shifters aren't much different than lycanthropes, and changelings are hardly more noticeable than doppelgangers.

And who's to say that these oddball races aren't around, but hiding, or rare, or that you're not the only one of your kind in existence, whether as a remnant of an otherwise extinct race, a visitor from another world, or the experiment of a mad archmage?

D&D is filled with weird races. Denying someone something like this because it's odd is like Daddy forbidding Junior from ordering chocolate ice cream on his cone because Daddy doesn't like it.

However, there could be other legit reasons, such as WANTING extra-weird races for, say, a Planescape game where everyone's character is a newly-spawned petitioner or something.
[spoiler]Masculine men like masculine things. Masculine men are masculine. Therefore, liking masculine men is masculine.

I dare anyone to find a hole in that logic.
[spoiler]
+1 Lycanthromancer
Which book is Lycanthromancer in?
Lyca ... is in the book. Yes he is.
 :D
shit.. concerning psionics optimization, lycan IS the book
[/spoiler]

AndyJames

• Organ Grinder
  • Meep?
« Reply #85 on: December 01, 2010, 03:45:42 AM »
Thing is, they don't need to have an impact on the world beyond what a standard-issue PC would already have (though that impact may be different than with a member of a more 'normal' race). Warforged are merely intelligent golems, while shifters aren't much different than lycanthropes, and changelings are hardly more noticeable than doppelgangers.

And who's to say that these oddball races aren't around, but hiding, or rare, or that you're not the only one of your kind in existence, whether as a remnant of an otherwise extinct race, a visitor from another world, or the experiment of a mad archmage?

D&D is filled with weird races. Denying someone something like this because it's odd is like Daddy forbidding Junior from ordering chocolate ice cream on his cone because Daddy doesn't like it.

However, there could be other legit reasons, such as WANTING extra-weird races for, say, a Planescape game where everyone's character is a newly-spawned petitioner or something.
I totally disagree. If the DM has a homebrew that has a set of specific PLAYABLE races, that is his perogative. If you don't like it, then bow out. Just because something exists in a DnD book somewhere is not a good enough reason to force a DM to accept it as a playable race.

The DM has crafted a world for you to play in. Respect his restrictions on what the world has. It IS his world, after all.

Bozwevial

• Organ Grinder
  • Developing a relaxed attitude to danger.
« Reply #86 on: December 01, 2010, 03:48:58 AM »
On the other hand, if a PC comes to you wanting to play a warforged in your campaign of sentient grasshopper-men, the correct response isn't to smack him with a rolled-up newspaper and demand that he thank you for the privilege of playing. It's to say, "Well, I'm not entirely sure if that fits with the campaign I had in mind. What about the warforged appeals to you? Maybe we can reflavor something to make everybody happy."

AndyJames

• Organ Grinder
  • Meep?
« Reply #87 on: December 01, 2010, 03:52:24 AM »
...smack him with a rolled-up newspaper and demand that he thank you for the privilege of playing...
State where I said this.

Bozwevial

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #88 on: December 01, 2010, 03:53:54 AM »
...smack him with a rolled-up newspaper and demand that he thank you for the privilege of playing...
State where I said this.
I'm trying to find a middle ground between demanding that you be permitted to play whatever you want and bowing out of a game because you can't play precisely what you want.

AndyJames

• Organ Grinder
  • Meep?
« Reply #89 on: December 01, 2010, 03:56:59 AM »
I'm trying to find a middle ground between demanding that you be permitted to play whatever you want and bowing out of a game because you can't play precisely what you want.
Your framing of the situation belies this.

The DM did not do anything. You can discuss it with him, but if he says no, then either bow out or play by his rules instead of throwing a temper tantrum. At no time did I advocate you kiss his feet for the privilege of playing in his game. That slanderously implies arrogance on my part.

Bozwevial

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #90 on: December 01, 2010, 03:58:06 AM »
Your framing of the situation belies this.

The DM did not do anything. You can discuss it with him, but if he says no, then either bow out or play by his rules instead of throwing a temper tantrum. At no time did I advocate you kiss his feet for the privilege of playing in his game. That slanderously implies arrogance on my part.
And at no time did I say you advocated that, did I?

AndyJames

• Organ Grinder
  • Meep?
« Reply #91 on: December 01, 2010, 04:04:55 AM »

I will let the above sequence of original posts speak for themselves.

Bozwevial

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #92 on: December 01, 2010, 04:08:10 AM »

I will let the above sequence of original posts speak for themselves.
If by that you mean you'll let them show that I neither mentioned you nor quoted you or your position in my original post, then yes, they do speak for themselves.

Solo

• Organ Grinder
  • Solo the Sorcelator, at your service
« Reply #93 on: December 01, 2010, 04:20:12 AM »
I am in awe.

"I am the Black Mage! I cast the spells that makes the peoples fall down!"

The Legend RPG, which I worked on and encourage you to read.

Bozwevial

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #94 on: December 01, 2010, 04:52:49 AM »
Allow me to clarify, AndyJames: My post was not written to you, quoting you, assigning viewpoints to you, or indeed with you in mind at all. It was merely a statement of my opinion.

Lycanthromancer

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #95 on: December 01, 2010, 04:58:34 AM »
Allow me to clarify, AndyJames: My post was not written to you, quoting you, assigning viewpoints to you, or indeed with you in mind at all. It was merely a statement of my opinion.
That's what s/he said.
[spoiler]Masculine men like masculine things. Masculine men are masculine. Therefore, liking masculine men is masculine.

[spoiler]
+1 Lycanthromancer
[/spoiler]

Bozwevial

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #96 on: December 01, 2010, 05:02:29 AM »
That's what s/he said.
Then I'm afraid I don't quite see the argument.

Lycanthromancer

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #97 on: December 01, 2010, 05:07:21 AM »
That's what s/he said.
Then I'm afraid I don't quite see the argument.
That was a joke, son. [/Foghorn]

[spoiler]
+1 Lycanthromancer
[/spoiler]

Bozwevial

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #98 on: December 01, 2010, 05:09:00 AM »
That was a joke, son. [/Foghorn]
That'll teach me to read at 3 in the morning.

Sunic_Flames

• Organ Grinder
  • The Crusader of Logic.
« Reply #99 on: December 01, 2010, 10:38:32 AM »
It's funny when on this board EVERYONE immediately jumps when the first hint of GM fiat approaches, whereas on other boards I am frequenting at the moment, GM fiat is just the done thing, and people even think it's good and right...

Andy: Teleport and the likes make GMing quite hard. IF you wish to keep PCs on a track. If you are content with just letting things happen, then I think it will be far less of a problem. The way to approach GMing in that case is more of a "stuff happens", what do you do about it?", than "you walk into a room with a puzzle". Basically I just make stuff, and don't think too much about how the PCs will solve the problem. You can assume a PC of level 9+ to be resourceful. Right now I think I would have more trouble if the group could not teleport. Oh wait, I have just such a group... hmmm.
Of course, PCs must also expect their enemies to teleport around. If you're assaulting the stronghold of a powerful wizard he would be stupid to not just hop away and return with a gang of additional defenders. At that point knowing what the spells can do is pretty important, and especially at the table some leeway must be given to inaccuracies, on either sides.

Mostly because good boards hate it when fiat is your only fallback, and bad boards love it, because they're too incompetent to have a better alternative.

For example, railroading bullshit. The good DM has already taken into consideration such things as Teleport, and isn't engaging in railroading bullshit. The bad DM will get pissed off when the group says "Hey, screw this." and fucks off to do something else.
Smiting Imbeciles since 1985.

If you hear this music, run.

And don't forget:

There is no greater contribution than Hi Welcome.

Huge amounts of people are fuckwits. That doesn't mean that fuckwit is a valid lifestyle.

IP proofing and avoiding being CAPed OR - how to make characters relevant in the long term.

Friends don't let friends be Short Bus Hobos.

[spoiler]
Sunic may be more abrasive than sandpaper coated in chainsaws (not that its a bad thing, he really does know what he's talking about), but just posting in this thread without warning and telling him he's an asshole which, if you knew his past experiences on WotC and Paizo is flat-out uncalled for. Never mind the insults (which are clearly 4Chan-level childish). You say people like Sunic are the bane of the internet? Try looking at your own post and telling me you are better than him.

Here's a fun fact: You aren't. By a few leagues.
[/spoiler]