Author Topic: Introductions Thread! Who are you?  (Read 257441 times)

Shigunaru

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
  • I am your "friend"
    • Email
Re: Quasi-official Introductions Thread
« Reply #20 on: May 16, 2008, 05:15:55 PM »
Hi there! I'm Shigunaru, a CO-er immigrant without permission. Ops! shouldn't say that aloud...
Posting guidelines. Read 'em. Use 'em. Love 'em.

BoSheck

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: May 16, 2008, 05:25:26 PM »
BoSheck in pretty much all my usual haunts on the 'web.  I came over from CO recently to follow the community and general good humored mechanical optimization.  My wife and I game 'out' 3-5 nights a week (2 DnD games, old World of Darkness [meh], d20 supplementals (BESM, Slayers, Modern), board games).  I usually do monster/npc/encounter optimization in my spare time for the game I run, and practice practical optimizing in the ones I play in.  RPGs, Strategy, and Puzzle/Action are where its at on the computer gaming side.

Tshern

• Clown Prince of Crime
  • Organ Grinder
  • Aistii valoa auttavasti
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: May 16, 2008, 09:43:39 PM »
My real life name is Sgt. William Schumann. I like the night life. I like to boogie.
Like the Pulitzer prize winner? Or is this just a joke I am not getting?

Anyway, I don't usually like Sergeants, bad experiences about them, but with you I can make an exception.

Handy Links

DetectiveJabsco

• Bi-Curious George
  • Here's To Life
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: May 16, 2008, 09:51:52 PM »
I'm me, Detective Jabsco here and there.
I like Ska music, coffee, and DnD
I'm a guy...i hope.
And, Americas #1 rule is Capitalism will prevail. i think we forgot it though

Nox_Noctis

• Hong Kong
  • A Simple Exchange
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: May 17, 2008, 12:17:50 AM »
I'm Nox_Noctis from the Gleemax boards (Wizards boards). I most frequently posted on Gleemax (the role-play by that name, not the much larger forums as a whole) but then left after it became quite unenjoyable due to aggravating circumstances that I would rather not discuss. After that, I became primarily active in Character Optimization, hence my presence here. I used to play Magic: the Gathering but no longer find it as enjoyable (and also have few, if any, friends to play with regularly). So I play D&D 3.5, primarily via play-by-post. I'm Dark-Penance on Myth-Weavers.

On a more personal note, I am 18 years old, male, and permanently reside in Orange, California in the United States, though I dorm at the University of California, Irvine, in Irvine, where I am majoring in English, considering a major in Latin, intending to take an Emphasis in Creative Writing (fiction), and have been active in various student governments and somehow managed a 3.508 and a 3.841 GPA my first two quarters. I should be getting a 3.841 this quarter as well, making me rather satisfied with myself.

Next year I will be taking English 100 (historical theory and criticism), Latin 37A (early Rome), Statistics 7 (basic statistics), Latin 101A (prose), and a natural science yet to be decided (but likely nutrition science). Statistics is tenative, however, as I enroll in 2 weeks, it may reach maximum enrollment earlier, and I need to verify that it fulfills my breadth requirement for Mathematics (as the third course required of three).

I need to write out a more complete list of all my major and emphasis requirements to ensure that I can take all of the classes comfortably in four years but I think I ought to be fine (though I may need to take 20 units, the maximum without a petition, for a few quarters).

After that I hope to either go to UCI again for English (as the school has the best graduate English program in the nation) or go to Law school. My long-term career goals are leaning towards publishing fiction novels. My consideration of Law is a side-interest that I may decide to pursue more fully (but I believe I will likely resolve to stay with English).

I've written dozens of poems and a few short fiction pieces (including a flash-fiction piece of less than 400 words, which earned me a place among the top 5 flash-fiction submissions to New Forum literary magazine). I have been published (5 poems) in El Modena High School's Winter 2006-2007 issue of the literary magazine, Imprint. I hope to continue to submit pieces to New Forum (submitting four pieces this quarter - the flash-fiction last quarter was not submitted to be published but as part of a contest) and perhaps take a staff position with the magazine in the future.

I am considering applying for the New U (the campus newspaper), but have yet to fully decide.

I enjoy rock music (Bad Company, Foghat, Jimi Hendrix, The Who, Aerosmith, AC//DC, DragonForce, Disturbed, and many, many others), as well as select songs and artists from other genres (including a wide array of JPop and JRock, which a friend of mine introduced me to a few years ago). I'm fairly open to listening to new types of music and, while I certainly prefer specific artists and genres, there are few, if any, types of music as a whole that I entirely reject.

I'm fairly open and straight-forward when responding to inquiries about myself, so if anyone actually has an questions, feel free to ask or contact me via AOL Instant Messenger or MSN Messenger.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2008, 02:55:21 AM by Nox_Noctis »
[spoiler]
[/spoiler]

pfooti

• Bi-Curious George
  • Pants are for Suckers
    • /castrandom - even we don't know what it's about
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: May 17, 2008, 01:04:29 AM »
I'm pfooti. The P is silent. A part of my body IRL is named Pfooti: my right foot. The left is named Ted. And that's all you need to know about that.

I'm post-30 gamer geek with the usual hobbies (computer programming, board games, science fiction, etc). I'm currently withdrawing from all sorts of addictive gaming behaviors: I don't play MtG anymore, and to date myself, I used to have dual lands and I played a game called Jyhad. I also am no longer playing World of Warcraft, although I had a level 70 warlock and druid on a great roleplay server. Getting the characters to level 70 is why I don't play WoW anymore: I need to spend more time AFK.

I'm trying really hard to write a blog-ized novel. It's taking forever, mainly because I'm lazy. Also because I end up spending all my creative time on RPGs and such, and not enough working on the story. But anyway, it's here, which clever people will use to deduce my real name and therefore my gender.

Other than that, I'm looking forward to a fun time here! Whee!

Rymosrac

• Curious George
  • You were expecting?
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: May 17, 2008, 03:05:49 AM »
I go by Rymosrac just about everywhere.

Male, live in Idaho, college student, massive nerd, PC gamer, pseudo-cowboy, CO addict.

Non gaming hobbies. . . Mostly fencing, in which I've been competing nationally for about 5 years. Stabbing people rocks.
Shh. My common sense is tingling. . .

Nebo

• Monkey bussiness
    • Elysium
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: May 17, 2008, 04:41:00 AM »
'lo

I'm Nebo. I post a fair bit on GitP and semi-regularly on the Char-Op boards. I live on the Gold Coast, Australia and I'm currently most of the way through a Multimedia degree. Been playing D&D for about four years and I've just gotten into wargaming with Warmachine.

Viktor_Von_Doom

• Monkey bussiness
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: May 17, 2008, 05:20:10 AM »
Yo what is and what it do, this Viktor_Von_Doom (Though you know that all ready), use this handle on most everywhere, all so use Haketh, Vic_Sage, and foolycoolyman12345, all so Ho_Seth on Newsarmama.

Male from Spanaway Lake, Washington, going through secondary school (Pay attention in school kids).

Gamer, card player, RPG'er, big music fan, comic book geek.

AfterCrescent

• Honorary Moderator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Here After
« Reply #29 on: May 17, 2008, 06:43:47 AM »
Guess I should post here too...

AfterCrescent. Most people refer to me as after on forums, which actually used to confuse me, because I always thought the crescent part stood out more >.>

Oh well. I'm a D&D player and optimizer, although nowhere near what others that have already migrated here are capable of :)

College student. Male. Fan of the cleric.
The cake is a lie.
Need to play table top? Get your game on at:
Brilliant Gameologists' PbP Forum. Do it, you know you want to.
The 3.5 Cleric Handbook
The 13th Guard - An alternate history campaign idea.
Clerics just wake up one morning and decide they need to kick ass, and it needs to be kicked NOW. ~veekie

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #30 on: May 17, 2008, 02:07:25 PM »
You know, it's normally confusing when people change their names on another forum, but with the number of new members, I think more of us need to put a line in our sigs. (Not me, I even managed to keep the same avatar :P)
My work
The tier system in a nutshell:
[spoiler]Tier 6: A cartographer.
Tier 5: An expert cartographer or a decent marksman.
Tier 4: An expert marksman.
Tier 3: An expert marksman, cartographer and chef who can tie strong knots and is trained in hostage negotiation or a marksman so good he can shoot down every bullet fired by a minigun while armed with a rusted single-shot pistol that veers to the left.
Tier 2: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything, or the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.
Tier 1: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything and the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.[/spoiler]

Agita

• Organ Grinder
  • SFT is mai waifu.
« Reply #31 on: May 17, 2008, 02:26:49 PM »
Agita here, also known from the Wizards/Gleemax boards as Just_my_2_cents, Just_my_2nd_sig, The_Anticipation, Invisible_Mode, and about 23 other names (accounts), not all of them known. I'm 16, live in Wien/Vienna in Austria (That little spot in the middle of europe, just between Germany and Italy), and have given up on smacking people who get my gender wrong over the head, so refer to me however you'd like.
As for personal interests, I'm a huge fan of The Simpsons, Elfen Lied, The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya, Bokusatsu Tenshi Dokuro-chan, and Death Note. Musically speaking, I enjoy Metal, Rock, and NDH, but also Country. My favorite band has to be Rammstein, followed by Bruce Springsteen & the E-Street Band and DragonForce (Thanks to Nox). I play MtG sporadically, mostly at Prereleases and releases, and D&D 3.5 almost exclusively Play-by-Post. I further enjoy strategy and simulation computer games, notably The Sims, Command and Conquer, and Dragonshard. I frequently engage in purely mental optimization exercices with Nox_Noctis over MSN, the results of which quite often end up so broken it isn't funny. (Bull rush the nine hells into the abyss at level 6 anyone? Or maybe you'd rather deal ~10^57d6 damage by shoving heavy objects out of a flying basket? Credit for these two goes mostly to Nox, but I helped.)
Random Stuff: I speak German (duh) and Spanish fluently, and I like to think I'm good at english, though I've never actually talked with a native speaker. I'm doing my best to learn fench, though I keep mixing up spanish and french words, and I'm considering attending Japanese classes. I'm a fanatic atheist, anti-smoker, and non-alcoholic. I've gone so far as to get my mom to stop smoking just so her cigarette packs stop mysteriously turning up in the wastebin.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2008, 03:40:53 PM by Agita »
It's all about vision and making reality conform to your vision. By dropping a fucking house on it.

Agita's Awesome Poster Compilation
Lycanthromancer's Awesome Poster Compilation

ShaggyShaggs

• He's just this guy, you know?
« Reply #32 on: May 17, 2008, 03:34:30 PM »
Hi folks.  Shaggy_Shaggs here, though in my hurry to leave I seem to have torn off my underscore, not that I ever wanted it anyway.  In meatspace I'm Jonathan, which I hate, or Jon which I tolerate, but I really prefer variants on my handle.  I'm male, mid 20s, and am located in Oregon in the US.  In addition to RP/CRP/tactical games, especially D&D 3.5, I like caffeine and nicotine far more than is healthy, aggressive energetic music played at volumes that are gradually making me go deaf, reading fantasy and sci-fi, certain cartoons (both animated and static), and movies (especially parody, horror, and hackfest).  There's more but that seems enough for an intro post.

Mostly when I've spent time around CO it's been reading rather than speaking up.  I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.  But, I need somewhere to read and talk about gaming, and I've lost my confidence in the gleemax forums as a place I can safely voice my preferences, interests, or concerns, or receive much real information.  I hope I can settle in comfortably here with you folks.

Regretably I don't actually get to play D&D anymore.  I've not found any local TT groups, find the pacing of PBP games too awkward to work with, and lack hardware for certain online live games that've interested me (no mic for skype/ventrillo is a frequent prob).  I think the lack of opportunity to experiment with ideas and builds is stunting the advancement of my understanding of the game.  If a game opportunity comes up around here that I could realistically participate in I'd love to, but depending on the optimization level I may well come off as the clueless newbie.

Anyway, just thought I'd better check in here, first.  May the schwartz be with you.
"Your STFU N00b roll fails!"
"Crap. Can I make a saving LOL?"

"I think either we have unlimited rights, or we have no rights at all. Personally, I lean toward unlimited rights. I feel, for instance, I have the right to do anything I please; but, if I do something you don't like, I think you have the right to kill me. So where you gonna find a fairer fucking deal than that?" - George Carlin

Ubernoob

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Happy Panda
    • Email
« Reply #33 on: May 17, 2008, 03:54:23 PM »
Agita here, also known from the Wizards/Gleemax boards as Just_my_2_cents
We have similar TV and music tastes.

BTW, archerpwr if I forgot to state.  Ubernoob is my gamer handle usually.
Ubernoob is a happy panda.

Agita

• Organ Grinder
  • SFT is mai waifu.
« Reply #34 on: May 17, 2008, 04:01:47 PM »
Agita here, also known from the Wizards/Gleemax boards as Just_my_2_cents
We have similar TV and music tastes.

BTW, archerpwr if I forgot to state.  Ubernoob is my gamer handle usually.
I believe we were in a PbP game on wizards together. I've also seen you around Myth-Weavers I think.
It's all about vision and making reality conform to your vision. By dropping a fucking house on it.

Agita's Awesome Poster Compilation
Lycanthromancer's Awesome Poster Compilation

Stratovarius

• Hong Kong
  • Player Resource Consortium
    • Player Resource Consortium
    • Email
« Reply #35 on: May 17, 2008, 04:32:35 PM »
I'll stop by as well, just for a quick introduction. I'm known pretty much everywhere I've been as Stratovarius (it's my name on the WotC and EnWorld boards, among other locales), and I'm over in Penn, USA at the moment, but I'm of English extraction.

I'm a fairly long time player of CRPGs, and that was how I was originally introduced to DnD, although unfortunately, I get to play it far less often than I would like. As seems to be the case with many of my fellow boardmembers here, I'm a fan of hard rock/heavy metal, of which I have an extensive collection, as well as fantasy and science fiction stories. I'm also a part time computer programmer who has worked on Neverwinter Nights, as well as being a part-time writer. My day job is rather less interesting, but pays the bills with a good deal more aplomb.

I'm generally mostly a lurker, except for the few things that interest me enough to post, so I'll likely disappear back into the wilderness again.
Arhosa Campaign World - Always Recruiting
Past, Present, and Future
Osteomancy - Rune Magic - Astral Magic
Class and Rule Collection
Player Resource Consortium
That is not dead which can eternal lie
And with strange aeons even death may die

Banor

• Curious George
« Reply #36 on: May 17, 2008, 05:46:30 PM »

Meaningless Epiphony

« Reply #37 on: May 17, 2008, 05:56:58 PM »
Well first of all I live in Kentucky....and yes we do wear shoes.  You would really be surprised how many people think we all live in the mountains and marry our sisters.

I am 33 and a truck driver by profession.  Yeah I know truck drivers dont seem like the RPG type, but I went to Eastern Kentucky University for 2 years for Mechanical Engineering.  I dropped out due to family issues and never managed to go back.  I really hated writing thesis papers anyways so I guess its for the best.  I am married and have two stepchildren (one 13 and the other 15...BOTH GIRLS.  So yes I have massive skill ranks in intimidate young horny boys  :nonono)

I currently DM Earthdawn for a group of 6 guys.  I can't wait to get it over with.  Earthdawn is the absolute clunkiest system to DM that I have ever run.  We play 3.5 most of the other times and the guys could care less about optimizing, so usually my characters outshine theirs.  Our games rarely last past 5th or 6th level though, which sucks, and has been labeled the 5th level curse.  So, obviously, I never get to use any of the knowledge that the great CO'ers come up with or the opportunity to gain higher level character knowledge myself.

I really appreciate what Meg did for all of us in the past and am so glad that the community has shown such a tremendous show of support.  Despite my lurker status, I would like to establish a relationship with a group of people that can be such friends to each other despite the intention of the board being CO.

ShaggyShaggs

• He's just this guy, you know?
« Reply #38 on: May 17, 2008, 06:06:03 PM »
I am 33 and a truck driver by profession.  Yeah I know truck drivers dont seem like the RPG type, but I went to Eastern Kentucky University for 2 years for Mechanical Engineering.
You're not the only oddity.  I actually received my 3.5 core rules boxed set by mail while I was in jail awaiting trial for a felony strike charge, and it wasn't the first time I was in a cell for letting my barbarian dip get the best of me.
"Your STFU N00b roll fails!"
"Crap. Can I make a saving LOL?"

"I think either we have unlimited rights, or we have no rights at all. Personally, I lean toward unlimited rights. I feel, for instance, I have the right to do anything I please; but, if I do something you don't like, I think you have the right to kill me. So where you gonna find a fairer fucking deal than that?" - George Carlin

Meaningless Epiphony

« Reply #39 on: May 17, 2008, 06:10:16 PM »
Did the PHB have a metal file sized cutout in the middle?  :)