Author Topic: Introductions Thread! Who are you?  (Read 257397 times)

Meg

• Message Board Extraordinaire
  • Brilliant Gameologist
  • Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Are you rapier than me?
    • Brilliant Gameologists
    • Email
Re: Quasi-official Introductions Thread- Now With Poll-Freshness!
« Reply #180 on: October 13, 2008, 04:18:37 PM »
Hi all,

I found BG via the podgecast, when listening to the episode discussing min/maxing with Meg.

I'm a "married with kids" software engineer by day... and pretty much the same by night.

But! I go to Gencon yearly and run D&D games, do some play-by-email, and dnd.meetup.com.

And I'm addicted to podcasts, especially Brilliant Gameologists.

MilwaukeeJoe

Welcome!  Glad my appearance on the Podgecast had some benefit  :D
All of my updates are on twitter! 

This is my angry voice.  Text written in red, by me, is  an official moderator "suggestion"

Want to meet me or the other Gameologists?  Check out where we'll be on the Conventions, Meetups and Events board!

Ubernoob

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Happy Panda
    • Email
« Reply #181 on: October 13, 2008, 04:19:03 PM »
Welcome to the fold.  Check out our Min/Max forum.  It has fun discussion that is hard to find elsewhere (The gaming den is the only place I know of that rivals it, but they tend to do more game design than optimization).
Ubernoob is a happy panda.

MilwaukeeJoe

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
    • Rappan Athuk Play-By-Email
« Reply #182 on: October 13, 2008, 04:35:16 PM »

Now, when are you going to reciprocate and have some podgecast guys on the show? Come on, get Luke Myer on your show - you know it will be a good one!

SixthDeclension

• King Kong
  • "Wit is educated insolence."
    • Email
« Reply #183 on: October 13, 2008, 04:47:13 PM »

Now, when are you going to reciprocate and have some podgecast guys on the show? Come on, get Luke Myer on your show - you know it will be a good one!

Cuz he's a Real Doctor?
My choice place for buying Magic: the Gathering Singles: adventuresOn.com

Currently DMing a Solo PbP, Check it out here

Like the leaves of the forest when Summer is green,
That host with their banners at sunset were seen:
Like the leaves of the forest when Autumn hath blown,
That host on the morrow lay withered and strown.

MilwaukeeJoe

« Reply #184 on: October 14, 2008, 11:12:47 AM »

Cuz he's a Real Doctor?
[/quote]

I always found that a bit funny on FtB when they'd make fun of him for that.

But really, I think his personality would mesh well with the BG crew.

Meg

• Brilliant Gameologist
  • Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Brilliant Gameologists
    • Email
« Reply #185 on: October 14, 2008, 04:43:16 PM »
It does mesh well- we invited him to sit on our panels at GenCon because we knew he complimented us well.  But this is a thread for introductions, so unless he comes and introduces himself, let's take the discussion of Luke elsewhere!

Like here!
http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=2289.0
« Last Edit: October 15, 2008, 04:01:50 PM by Meg »

This is my angry voice.  Text written in red, by me, is  an official moderator "suggestion"

Want to meet me or the other Gameologists?  Check out where we'll be on the Conventions, Meetups and Events board!

DustDevil

• Monkey bussiness
    • Email
« Reply #186 on: October 16, 2008, 08:37:33 PM »
Hi all,

My name is Glenn, hailing from the crappy weather and chicken wing capital of the US, Buffalo NY  (although the crappy weather bit is debatable, probably). I just started listening this past week, mostly due to the controversy that episode 23 generated and further encouraged by plugs/appearances on Podge Cast. 

I've been a tabletop roleplayer for over 15 years a while now.  I'm a cubicle farmer for corporate America by day.

I play weekly, usually, currently Warhammer Fantasy (though I've played lots of other games as well).  I've also recently been converted to a Savage Worlds addict (if I could only get my group to play....).

And... yeah!  I think that about covers it.
DustDevil
XBL Gamertag & Zune Social ID: DustDevil75

Geek: Rebooted
A blog of sorts

Meg

• Brilliant Gameologist
  • Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Brilliant Gameologists
    • Email
« Reply #187 on: October 16, 2008, 08:54:06 PM »
Welcome DustDevil!  Welcome to the Dark Good side!

I love Buffalo.  Like, strangely so.  Got wings at Duffs when I was there and still dream about them!

InnaBinder

• Grape ape
  • OnnaTable
    • Okay - - Your Turn: Monte Cook's Message Board
« Reply #188 on: October 22, 2008, 03:57:03 PM »
Hi!
I'm InnaBinder, or Binder, if you prefer.  In one form or another I've been lurking or posting at WotC for the better part of 6 years; I came over here after a brief hiatus from the interwebs due to CRT explosion when I found, on my return, that the former Autumn had been stripped of her duties at WotC.  I still lurk and post over there, though.  I'm much more into the practical aspects of Optimization/Min-Max than the googleplex actions in one round, I win aspects of theoretical optimization.  I enjoy coffee, gishes and triple-threat characters, coffee, spicy food, and coffee.  Did I mention coffee?  *twitch*
In the interest of full disclosure, I'll mention I'm in my mid/late 30s and have been playing D&D in some form or other since the Red Box Set.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2008, 05:44:33 PM by InnaBinder »
Winning an argument on the internet is like winning in the Special Olympics.  You won, but you're still retarded.

I made a Handbook!?

AngelBlade

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #189 on: October 22, 2008, 07:20:47 PM »
Welcome Binder.  : )

AngelBlade

MilwaukeeJoe

« Reply #190 on: October 22, 2008, 07:33:35 PM »
coffee, gishes and triple-threat characters, coffee, spicy food, and coffee.  Did I mention coffee?  *twitch*
In the interest of full disclosure, I'll mention I'm in my mid/late 30s and have been playing D&D in some form or other since the Red Box Set.

Welcome, Binder! There's a lot of good discussion and ideas here, I think you'll like it.

Judging Eagle

• Domesticated Capuchin Monkey
« Reply #191 on: October 24, 2008, 04:07:56 AM »
I've been playing RPG's for 20 odd years. I like DnD, D20 Modern and Exalted. I've also played WarMachine, I liked the game, and hated painting mini's.

ooh, I've played warmachine as well, love the game, too nervous to paint my minis.  Welcome to BG  :D

They're metal minis? Paint them over and over; use brake fluid to strip the paint jobs you don't like.

========
I guess I should do this thing.

Used to be on WoTC (long ago), stopped when I got bored of the useless shit there, hung out on the Gaming Den for the last... 2 years now? Joined here months ago, and posted here more than once a day a few days ago. I remade my WoTC account as well, mostly for shits and giggles.

I've been "gaming" since grade 4, so much more than 1/2 of my life I've known about D&D and rpgs.

I hate most computer rpgs (except fallout, and fallout 2); since they tend to be CCoGs (Combat Control only Games), which tends to bore me.

I've spoiled CCoGs that I've never seen before, simply because they're not only so limiting in player choice for storytelling, but because they tend to be just poorly told as stories. It's not often of course, and it's usually limited to JRPGs, a genre that I'm fine watching being played, but usually not fine playing.

The tabletop games that I run tend to have wierd things occur; like a raccon druid haggling with a Nalfeshnee mayor over the price of a task, and then eating a feast of road-kill or unskinned, uncooked animals while the gargoyle paladin cooled his heels outside in disgust.

Personally, I'm a big fan of things that work. I can usually make good fluff later or there on the spot.

I also go into tangents often, and write down wierd and crazy suggestions to other people's posts. Like suggest that one poster from one board would make an appearance as an advanced Asperii barbarian (their avatar was a my little pony) in one of my games (it will... eventually... just like the queer ogre chaintripper npc that I wrote up and never used, or the knight and his fiendish mount or the warforged paladin that uses mental weaponry and mental armour; more ideas that I have places to put them into the game in a fashion that I'd feel would do the character justice).
Name kept out of inertia. Thirteen years and counting.

MasterVega

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
  • Master of what? Well, I'm not exactly sure...
    • Email
« Reply #192 on: October 30, 2008, 05:22:22 PM »
Greetings!

I've been gaming for only a few years now (I think I started 3~4 years back. I've never been good at remembering dates). I started with D20Modern/Future, which had me at "mechs" and "railgun", the latter of which I actually got to use in the campaign. :D

Ever since then I've been reading and writing houserules for D20Modern and, soon as I started playing it, D&D3.5. I've also played Battletech (Mechwarrior) a few times (fun, but clunky), World of Darkness, Lo5R aaand... that's about it for RPGs.
I'm also rather hooked on Mordheim, and I'm in the process of polishing a simple turn-based strategy game for my little brother and his friends.

I've run when D&D campaign the whole way through, and started a couple of D20Modern and Future games that died due to scheduling problems.

Heh, and I actually posted on the houserule board before I posted here. Oops...
I might be insane, but at least I\'m not deluded...

My Art! :D

Current PbP Games:
The Good, the Bad, and the Undead as Cedric McDouglan, ex-soldier shadow hunter.

InnaBinder

• Grape ape
  • OnnaTable
    • Okay - - Your Turn: Monte Cook's Message Board
« Reply #193 on: October 30, 2008, 08:49:29 PM »
Welcome, Judging Eagle and MasterVega.  May those responding to you understand your intent and add rather than subtract to your gaming knowledge and fun.
Winning an argument on the internet is like winning in the Special Olympics.  You won, but you're still retarded.

I made a Handbook!?

MilwaukeeJoe

« Reply #194 on: October 31, 2008, 11:05:38 AM »
Welcome MasterVega! You'll find these forums a good place for ideas and debate.

Thoth Amon

• Noob
    • Email
« Reply #195 on: November 17, 2008, 11:00:18 PM »
*poof*

Hey!

Where is the board game thread?  There is too much to sift through for us newbies.

TA

SixthDeclension

• King Kong
  • "Wit is educated insolence."
    • Email
« Reply #196 on: November 17, 2008, 11:55:33 PM »
Welcome! For board games, try the Playing With Everything board. Hope you like it here!
My choice place for buying Magic: the Gathering Singles: adventuresOn.com

Currently DMing a Solo PbP, Check it out here

Like the leaves of the forest when Summer is green,
That host with their banners at sunset were seen:
Like the leaves of the forest when Autumn hath blown,
That host on the morrow lay withered and strown.

AfterCrescent

• Honorary Moderator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Here After
« Reply #197 on: November 18, 2008, 05:05:12 PM »
There is too much to sift through for us newbies.

That's half the fun. :D Welcome. :laugh:
The cake is a lie.
Need to play table top? Get your game on at:
Brilliant Gameologists' PbP Forum. Do it, you know you want to.
The 3.5 Cleric Handbook
The 13th Guard - An alternate history campaign idea.
Clerics just wake up one morning and decide they need to kick ass, and it needs to be kicked NOW. ~veekie

Meg

• Brilliant Gameologist
  • Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Brilliant Gameologists
    • Email
« Reply #198 on: November 18, 2008, 05:38:10 PM »
*poof*

Hey!

Where is the board game thread?  There is too much to sift through for us newbies.

TA

Hello my friend!!  It's so nice to see you over here.

Board games actually go in "Tabletop Talk-- Non RPGs"
"It's not all about roleplaying games! Discuss board games, war games, miniatures, card games, and collectible games. Pikachu, I choose you! "

Go over TA- I have some recommendations for you!

flannel

• Logician
    • Email
Yeah, I'm new.
« Reply #199 on: November 26, 2008, 02:45:20 PM »
Hey ya'll,

My name is Flannel (that's my proper name, too), I'm new as can be to these boards.  A buddy of mine has been picking about here for a while, listening to the podcasts and the like, and thought I'd dig the community boards.  I'm from the Deep South, roundabouts Mississippi.

Been gaming for... I think maybe eight years or so.  Never play, but I've run just about everything.  Figured I'd say hi.

-F
. . .. ... .....
*wink*