Author Topic: Introductions Thread! Who are you?  (Read 257484 times)

igotsmeakabob!!

• Monkey bussiness
  • I'm on fire!
    • Email
Re: Quasi-official Introductions Thread- Now With Poll-Freshness!
« Reply #140 on: July 18, 2008, 04:23:09 AM »
Hey there. Was referred here by a friend, a rebel. I'm a dual citizen currently, heh.

I'm a student of philosophy, and have been gaming for about eleven years... since I was ten, if I recall correctly.
2nd edition was my first RPG, but I've played plenty of systems since then. The GM I started playing with became a close friend and he loves trying new systems.
I play tabletop miniatures games, most notably Warhammer 40k.
Lets see.. I love video games, mostly PC even though I have a 360 and a Wii.
The only thing I do as much as game is read... I'm a huge fan of fantasy, fiction and science fiction.
Terry Pratchett, Neil Gaiman, George R. R. Martin and Christopher Moore are my favorite authors.

My online names range from igotsmeakabob, to igotsmeakabob11, to igotsmeakabob!!.

I think thats about it...
Good to be here. :D
-Civilization is like a herd of pigs. The herd brings many benefits, but no-one should wonder at all the sh*t.
-Don't put your trust in revolutions. They always come around again. That's why they're called revolutions. People die, and nothing changes.
-Question with boldness even the existence of God; because, if there is one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded faith.
-Warding, warning, breeding, keeping, making, healing, storm and shade. Striding, scribing, always guarding, all as dark an end they made!
-How do they rise up?

lotofsnow

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
« Reply #141 on: July 29, 2008, 01:42:30 AM »
Hm.. I haven't posted in this thread yet.

I'm Lot of Snow. I've been "of" many places, so "Lot" is fine. However, I do like it when folks call me "Snow." Though "of" might be more accurate than either, but a bit too ambiguous.

Let's see here... I've played DnD over the last few years on and off with the same flighty group. I tried DMing once, but I was such an ass and rule-monger, that things kind of fell apart. I prefer to play PCs anyway. I'm not much of an optimizer myself, but I enjoy reading other's optimizations and adding things here and there and grabbing ideas for my own characters. I used to play WoW, now I play very little of anything since I just bought a new house. Well, anything other than D&D, which I play roughly every other week (Shadar-Kai Artful Dodger Rogue named Lot-us).

I have a wife and 11 month old daughter who make up the fixed foot of my compass. I really enjoy watching the local NHL team, the Buffalo Sabres. I like craft beer, hence the homebrew/beer snob thread in the Unplugged Forums.  I have a blog about beer and food that hasn't been updated in months. I enjoy reading stuff. I'm currently about 3/4 of the way through Shadowmarch by Tad Williams and also just finished Wil Weaton's most recent book. Next in line is a book called City on the Edge: Buffalo, New York by Mark Goldman. Not to be confused with the Star Trek episode "City on the Edge of Forever," which is the one where McCoy goes back in time and... well, I'll let you see it.

I've been on the official D&D forums for just over a year, I think, posting on and off. Mostly in the Char Op forum where I am now lot_ofsnow because Gleemax fucked up my lotofsnow account.

So, yeah, disjointed enough?

If you like good beer, go here: http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=859.0

Thanks.

-Lot of Snow
« Last Edit: July 29, 2008, 01:44:11 AM by lotofsnow »

CountArioch

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • I <3 termites
« Reply #142 on: August 02, 2008, 03:28:41 AM »
I'm Count Arioch.  I'm a pisces, and I'll be here all night.

I enjoy Karaoke, and getting piss drunk, and viking metal.  Can't convince the karaoke guy to get viking metal on his playlist though.

I also DM a weekly game, can't find a DM that I don't want to strangle within 3 sessions.

I'm a confirmed bachelor, I am at a point in my life where I don't need anyone to be happy.  Which is cool.

I'm in college.  The goal is to get my PhD in either biochemistry or biotechnology, I can't decide.  Right now, I'm in a shitty community college so I can transfer somewhere a bit better, my grades in high school were ass.
She hasn't come to crush your bones, nor tear your flesh
She has come to steal your sanity with just one glance

Sacrapos - At First Glance, Eluveitie

BobismyRhino

• Hong Kong
  • *baby Bob kiss* MUAH!
    • Email
« Reply #143 on: August 02, 2008, 04:52:06 AM »

I enjoy viking metal.  Can't convince the karaoke guy to get viking metal on his playlist though.

FUCK YEAH!!!

You are instantly cool.

People usually think that I've lost my mind. I haven't lost it, I know exactly where it is: the gutter.

My body is a temple. That is why I make chocolate sacrifices in it every day.

CountArioch

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • I <3 termites
« Reply #144 on: August 02, 2008, 01:57:09 PM »

I enjoy viking metal.  Can't convince the karaoke guy to get viking metal on his playlist though.

FUCK YEAH!!!

You are instantly cool.

Cool.  Who do you like?
She hasn't come to crush your bones, nor tear your flesh
She has come to steal your sanity with just one glance

Sacrapos - At First Glance, Eluveitie

Meg

• Message Board Extraordinaire
  • Brilliant Gameologist
  • Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Are you rapier than me?
    • Brilliant Gameologists
    • Email
« Reply #145 on: August 02, 2008, 06:57:18 PM »

I enjoy Karaoke, and getting piss drunk, and viking metal.  Can't convince the karaoke guy to get viking metal on his playlist though.

I also DM a weekly game, can't find a DM that I don't want to strangle within 3 sessions.

I'm a confirmed bachelor, I am at a point in my life where I don't need anyone to be happy.  Which is cool.

I'm in college.  The goal is to get my PhD in either biochemistry or biotechnology, I can't decide.  Right now, I'm in a shitty community college so I can transfer somewhere a bit better, my grades in high school were ass.

I've been waiting for you to introduce yourself :)  Thanks for popping over.  You didn't mention the most important part of your background though- that you've met me.   :P

Oh, and because I have to, there is a thread about metal already-- talk to your heart's content over there.  Or start a new thread just for viking  (???) metal.  I'm intrigued...
All of my updates are on twitter! 

This is my angry voice.  Text written in red, by me, is  an official moderator "suggestion"

Want to meet me or the other Gameologists?  Check out where we'll be on the Conventions, Meetups and Events board!

Marco

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #146 on: August 04, 2008, 10:58:06 PM »
I have introduced myself a few times on this list and finally found the place where I was supposed to do so.  :blush I am 41 yrs old and my wife is 42 and yes she is my Life, the universe and everything. When I met her she was my supervisor and loved board games but she could never convince her friends to try role playing because they thought it had some negative stigma. She and I play MMO's together, in tabletop games we play characters that don't get along with each other in the groups we play in. We love the SCA and whatever the board game that is interesting at the moment. Because of gaming and the SCA I have many friends from a wide variety of ages; older, younger or the same. She is currently at Pennsic and I am home. I needed a year off from Pennsic after 5 in a row. When conversations about video games come up I like to tell the story of the first time I saw a video game. It was amazing! TV and a game all in one my two favorite things. The kids were lined up all over the rec room waiting for their chance to play Pong. It was a table with a tv screen in the middle you looked down at and the only controls were the 2 enormous knobs. I generally get the wide eyed stare and the question "Holy shit, how the hell old are you???". :)
  I started playing D&D after school in the library using the red and blue box rules. The group had a DM and 11 or 12 players. We rarely ever got anything settled it was just a screaming match to be heard over the other kids. It was a disaster and the GM and everyone but 4 or 5 of us left. Those of us who stayed played together till after high school. In the late 80's 2nd ed came out and I was one of those anti-change crazies yelling what is this crap? TSR stole Gary Gygax's baby and shat all over his game. What is the FR crap? I hate this I'm not spending another dime on this game. I then wandered off into Palladium, GURPS, VtM, Paranoia, and some poorly run, poorly designed homemade systems. I discovered the SCA and my wife and eventually my RPG hours grew less and less. In 1994 I got married and we left NY and moved to the DC area where we bought our first home. For many reasons I dropped out of the SCA and all my RPG friends lived in NY and all the gamers in my local area were more interested in MtG then tabletop games and that never held my interest. We spent 6 months to a year with no friends, no social life and no real gaming. Between work and TV we were turning into "normal people" and I was hating it. Then I discovered LARP. I became addicted to a vampire game for years and made a great many friends. Many of those people are very dear to my wife and I. In the middle of that 3.0 came out and I got back into DnD and my wife and I started playing some tabletop games again. The LARP thing finally got boring and we dove head first back into the SCA. We have been in the same monthly FR game for about 5 years. As 4e has been coming out I had read the Richard Byers books and enjoyed them very much and decided that this time I wasn't going to be a prick and hate the new game without reading the books. Then my friends asked me to run a campaign and I decided to use FR because that is what I have become accustomed to in the past few years. I began searching the internet for 4e content and found the gleemax site. But that felt to me the way that I behaved when 2nd ed came out. It was a bunch of people hating something hard. It didn't give me much help looking for ideas and help when there was nothing but negativity. I also checked out the boards on WotC but I couldn't find anything useful there either. Frankly they were boring and hard to navigate. Then one day I googled warlock pacts and somehow linked over to BG. I saw the episode of the podcast "Love and Sex" played it, laughed my ass off and was hooked. The mahogany buggary bar was frikin' brilliant! I have agreed with so much that you guys say, learned much and laugh openly.  My next puzzle is what do I buy first, Burning Wheel, Savage Worlds or Spirit of the Century.

Ishindri

• Noob
« Reply #147 on: August 08, 2008, 06:01:38 PM »
Hello there.  I'm Ishindri, and I am indeed a refugee from the beleaguered WotC forums.  Found a link to here in someone's signature, poked around for a bit, recognized a bunch of people from the old forums, and signed up.  So... hi.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2008, 11:32:48 PM by Ishindri »

Johannixx

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #148 on: August 13, 2008, 01:13:11 AM »
I was a longtime poster on the d20 Modern boards, mostly concentrating on fixing the firearms rules, though I spent a goodly amount of time on the 3.5 D&D combat board too.

I play 3.5, Flames of War (think Warhammer 40k with WWII stuff), and the odd board or card game.

Darth Krzysztof

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
  • Texan Metal Sith Lord
    • Cold Blood - my chat-based D&D v.3.5 Planescape campaign
« Reply #149 on: August 22, 2008, 11:33:48 AM »
Howdy, as we sometimes say. I recently discovered the show via RPGPodcasts.com, and I'm really enjoying it - enough to come stumbling into its community. I am Darth Krzysztof, Mr. Chris if you're nasty, a married thirty-something Texan fella who lives on a little farm outside of San Antonio and builds castles in his head.

You may have seen me before on Treasure Tables/You Meet in a Tavern or Obsidian Portal, if you frequent either of those sites.

I've been gaming since I received the D&D Basic box for my 10th birthday, though the last fifteen years or so were like crossing a desert. Unable to form or join a good group locally, I've now turned to chat-based gaming, and I've never been happier than I am running Cold Blood, my D&D v.3.5 Planescape campaign.

D&D's still my favorite game, especially to run, but I also dig Call of Cthulhu, GURPS, Mutants & Masterminds, Shadowrun, and Star Wars, among others.

I run a used CD/DVD store; before that, I worked at Borders for almost nine years. When not gaming, I enjoy reading, writing, drawing, movies, and PC games. My lovely wife (who's not a gamer) and I have no children, but we make up for it with a lot of animals. I am also one of the biggest Rush fans alive.

See you in the trenches!
« Last Edit: August 22, 2008, 11:36:45 AM by Darth Krzysztof »
Cold Blood - my chat-based D&D v.3.5 Planescape campaign.

Read my diatribe about chat-based gaming here.

Thrice Dead Cat

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #150 on: August 26, 2008, 01:38:37 AM »
Thrice Dead Cat here and on the WotC boards; I used to lurk around on the old CO boards, occasionally answering rules questions under the class/equipment/etc. boards.

I'm currently a freshman in college and have played mostly DND, but have also been in one Shadowrun game.

Ubernoob

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Happy Panda
    • Email
« Reply #151 on: August 26, 2008, 01:41:36 AM »
Thrice Dead Cat here and on the WotC boards; I used to lurk around on the old CO boards, occasionally answering rules questions under the class/equipment/etc. boards.

I'm currently a freshman in college and have played mostly DND, but have also been in one Shadowrun game.
Cool!  I'm a freshman (sort of) too!  I'd noticed you over at WotC.
Ubernoob is a happy panda.

Shewolf

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
« Reply #152 on: August 26, 2008, 03:28:00 AM »
Hey, guys, I'm fairly new here..

Found out about the site through AfterCrescent, a great (very patient) DM...hes not out to get me, but his dice surely are (stupid greataxes...)
Bobismyrhino is also a friend of mine, a great gal, who i know way too much about, the two of them are very fun people, who likely know way too much about me!

I work at a comic and game shop in south florida, and its lots of fun, meeting all types of gamers and their ilk.
I really like what the boards here have to offer, and it seems like a really fun, friendly environment, which is great, cuse I am very internet shy  :-[

Anyhow, its great reading, getting to know different game systems, and seeing how people are making homebrew systems and the like...and what with where i work, i get asked questions all the time about this system or that system, and truth be told, i just dont have the time or oppertunity to learn them all!

Thrice Dead Cat

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #153 on: August 27, 2008, 01:10:50 AM »

I take it you've got some weird amount of credit hours or something to make you a sophomore, technically speaking?

Anyhow, I'm glad to finally getting around to posting; now I can finally contribute to some (small amount) of the wonder that is CO.

Ubernoob

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Happy Panda
    • Email
« Reply #154 on: August 27, 2008, 03:40:34 AM »

I take it you've got some weird amount of credit hours or something to make you a sophomore, technically speaking?

Anyhow, I'm glad to finally getting around to posting; now I can finally contribute to some (small amount) of the wonder that is CO.
26 credit hours, but I'm taking 17 each semester probably.  So, I'm just short of sophmore really.
Ubernoob is a happy panda.

PhoenixInferno

• Hong Kong
« Reply #155 on: August 27, 2008, 03:43:00 AM »
AfterCrescent is great and Bobismyrhino...well...she's kinda trouble, but in a good way. :) Welcome!

AfterCrescent

• Honorary Moderator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Here After
« Reply #156 on: August 27, 2008, 03:52:07 AM »
Thanks, PI. :blush

And yeah, I should probably welcome you as well, Shewolf. :P
The cake is a lie.
Need to play table top? Get your game on at:
Brilliant Gameologists' PbP Forum. Do it, you know you want to.
The 3.5 Cleric Handbook
The 13th Guard - An alternate history campaign idea.
Clerics just wake up one morning and decide they need to kick ass, and it needs to be kicked NOW. ~veekie

BobismyRhino

• Hong Kong
  • *baby Bob kiss* MUAH!
    • Email
« Reply #157 on: August 30, 2008, 03:52:06 AM »
Whoo! Shewolf!

AfterCrescent is great and Bobismyrhino...well...she's kinda trouble, but in a good way. :) Welcome!

I'm GREATER.

People usually think that I've lost my mind. I haven't lost it, I know exactly where it is: the gutter.

My body is a temple. That is why I make chocolate sacrifices in it every day.

j0lt

• Hong Kong
  • Browncoat
« Reply #158 on: August 30, 2008, 05:18:26 AM »
Hey, I'm j0lt.

I'm a Canadian living in Japan, and a refugee from the Gleemax/WotC/Gamer0 fiasco.
I run Star Wars Saga (Dawn of Defiance) and d20 Modern, and on occasion play D&D, though I tend to build campaigns a lot more than I actually end up running them.

You'll probably see me start an incredibly epic project only to end up over my head and burn out every so often.  It's what I do best.
PbP Games
The Artifact (prologue) as Dr. Henry Loder, Mayan archaeologist

Phil

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #159 on: September 01, 2008, 11:08:52 PM »
Sup all, I,m Phil i frequent the FtB forums and am also on the Spookyouthouse forums too.