Author Topic: Introductions Thread! Who are you?  (Read 257451 times)

ShaggyShaggs

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
  • He's just this guy, you know?
Re: Quasi-official Introductions Thread
« Reply #40 on: May 17, 2008, 06:15:23 PM »
Hah, sadly no.  Trying to make sense of the grapple rules certainly helped the hours pass, though.
"Your STFU N00b roll fails!"
"Crap. Can I make a saving LOL?"

"I think either we have unlimited rights, or we have no rights at all. Personally, I lean toward unlimited rights. I feel, for instance, I have the right to do anything I please; but, if I do something you don't like, I think you have the right to kill me. So where you gonna find a fairer fucking deal than that?" - George Carlin

DarkSun2012

• Monkey bussiness
    • Email
« Reply #41 on: May 17, 2008, 06:19:42 PM »

Ubernoob

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Happy Panda
    • Email
« Reply #42 on: May 17, 2008, 06:24:44 PM »
I believe we were in a PbP game on wizards together. I've also seen you around Myth-Weavers I think.
Indeed.  I do post those places too.  Haven't done much posting at the new dicefreaks, but I lurk there.
Ubernoob is a happy panda.

Nox_Noctis

• Hong Kong
  • A Simple Exchange
    • Email
« Reply #43 on: May 17, 2008, 06:35:16 PM »
Hah, sadly no.  Trying to make sense of the grapple rules certainly helped the hours pass, though.

I love the avatar. "Quarters! A million allowances worth of quarters!"
[spoiler]
[/spoiler]

ShaggyShaggs

« Reply #44 on: May 17, 2008, 06:39:43 PM »
Gotta love Futurama.  My cell message tone is actually Bender protesting "Of course they're unheeded, how am I supposed to hear prayers coming out of my ass?!"

"I think either we have unlimited rights, or we have no rights at all. Personally, I lean toward unlimited rights. I feel, for instance, I have the right to do anything I please; but, if I do something you don't like, I think you have the right to kill me. So where you gonna find a fairer fucking deal than that?" - George Carlin

Nox_Noctis

• Hong Kong
  • A Simple Exchange
    • Email
« Reply #45 on: May 17, 2008, 06:41:22 PM »
Gotta love Futurama.  My cell message tone is actually Bender protesting "Of course they're unheeded, how am I supposed to hear prayers coming out of my ass?!"

Haha, nice. :)
[spoiler]
[/spoiler]

Josh

• Brilliant Gameologist
  • Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #46 on: May 17, 2008, 07:08:26 PM »

Haha, nice. :)

My ringtone is Bender singing "Bender Cracked Corn"
Ennies Nominees - Best Podcast 2009

ShaggyShaggs

« Reply #47 on: May 17, 2008, 07:09:27 PM »
Sweet.  So, who all has tried to stat him out as a warforged?

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #48 on: May 17, 2008, 07:11:03 PM »
Warshaper levels, or use an effigy choker instead. All hail El Zilcho!
My work
The tier system in a nutshell:
[spoiler]Tier 6: A cartographer.
Tier 5: An expert cartographer or a decent marksman.
Tier 4: An expert marksman.
Tier 3: An expert marksman, cartographer and chef who can tie strong knots and is trained in hostage negotiation or a marksman so good he can shoot down every bullet fired by a minigun while armed with a rusted single-shot pistol that veers to the left.
Tier 2: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything, or the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.
Tier 1: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything and the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.[/spoiler]

Josh

• Brilliant Gameologist
  • Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #49 on: May 17, 2008, 07:33:30 PM »
In a campaign that fell apart before it started I made Bender and Meg made Fry.  Unfortunately it was doomed.

Here is how it went down:

Zeke: OK so I will run a DnD game for you guys
Josh: Can it be Eberron?
Meg: Can we have a flying ship?
Zeke: Yes and Yes
Josh: Can we start out as a team?
Meg: Can we all work for the same company?
Zeke: Yes Yes
Josh: Can we be a group based on Planet express?
Meg: Yeah and we are a deliver service for a dragonmarked house
Zeke: Well...
Meg: I'll be Fry.  Like Fry, Like Fry. 
Josh: I'll make Bender.  Hey there meatbag.
Zeke: I...
Josh: Can we have a chull named dr Zoidberg?
Meg: What would Nibbler be?
Zeke:...

Ennies Nominees - Best Podcast 2009

the_taken

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
  • Fear of Monkeys!
    • davidpetrie.info
    • Email
« Reply #50 on: May 17, 2008, 07:56:36 PM »
Helo! and Oops: Where is the "Hi! I'm new here!" area? Is this it.

Just wannabe sure...

----------------------

Hello! I am the_taken. I stumbled into the crap storm happening in the WotC area. Luckily I brought an umbrella.

Since my opinion of 4E's design staff is negative, I have developed an unappreciation for some of WotC's policies. I joined this board to stick it to the man. I'll be lurking mostly, generally around the buffet table.

Fox Lee

• Domesticated Capuchin Monkey
  • Me Grimfox KING!
    • Fox Lee Studios
    • Email
« Reply #51 on: May 17, 2008, 10:53:06 PM »
Ello... just sticking my head in here after the shitstorm that happened at the Gleemax-nee-WotC boards. You may remember me, if at all, as the partner of Talen Lee (whom you may remember, if at all, by Starfall). I'm a longtime nerd from Australia who loves heavily-houseruled D&D - in fact, who got Talen into it in the first place (you may thank or curse me at this interval as you feel appropriate) - anime, and, well, smut.

I'm not exactly fond of this "one site to rule them all" flavour anyway, so I found myself thinking about alternative boards even before that. I figure here is as good as any, since experience has demonstrated that Autumn is a reliable mod. They seriously decided to combine the CharOp and CharDev boards, huh? I just laughed and laughed when I heard about it...

Listened to the most recent podcast last night, over a few City of Heroes missions - still stewing over what I liked and didn't like. My problem with podcasts is always that there are so many places I want to interject, by the time it's over I can barely keep track of them all XP And I have a lot of views on the topic - since I usually play in games run by or alongside my husband, and I pretty much get off on RP romances, but I know a couple of people in our group really don't want to know. I might post on that forum later.

I know this post is kind of going nowhere. It was just an introduction, really ^^; I feel like I'm being sneaky if I join a new board without announcing. Any recommended reading for newcomers?

Banor

• Curious George

yellerSumner

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
« Reply #53 on: May 18, 2008, 01:00:57 AM »
Hi, I have boobies.

I was first introduced to the mechanical aspect of D&D through the computer adaptations of Pool of Radiance and Curse of the Azure Bonds.  I was young and it frustrated me to no end and I had to stumble my way around another RPG or two before how to play without dying before being able to rest started clicking.

I was introduced to the social aspect of role-playing in 2001 spending a ton of time on a Digimon site where the fan fiction board housed spontaneous free-form role-playing.

My first D&D book was the Player's Handbook 3e which I got around that time.  I didn't get to play in a group until my Junior year (02-03) and when I did, it was a disaster.  The DM didn't have the sense to say "No, as this is your first time playing, I will not allow you to play a half-fiend."  All the characters ended up with some crazy power/race/level-inappropriate equipment.  After two weeks of playing which was a short hour after school often uninterrupted by lousy jokes and conversation, the DM said he quit and if we were going to keep playing I'd have to do it.

I unfortunately said yes.... It wasn't fun.

Haven't found a group since that.  Tried filling it with PbP, but that didn't end up too well either.... Problems with power-gaming and the whole setting we were trying to create and stuff.  I eventually just ran out of steam for that.

I don't have too much experience with non-d20 systems.  Lack of cash, though I'm certainly interested in learning what I should pick up when I've got the money.  I'd like to own more non-collectible card games since I feel like I've got a better chance of getting my non-gamer friends buying into a quick game of some sort than finding other gamers to play with.  That and you only have to pay for them once.

I unapologetically love <3 Pokemon <3.
It came out when I was starting middle school, so I was totally trying to not like it, but with the guy I was crushing on liking it and ending up near the bottom of the social ladder again, there wasn't a reason not to give in to the temptation.

I wasn't into the TCG back then since I was already into Magic (I started in 6th grade and stopped playing after I stopped finding casual players to play with) and knew my parent's weren't going to appreciate multiple habits like that.  My friend who used to dominate at her League back in the day bought me half a dozen boosters and a trainer kit last time I visited and is now trying to piece a deck together for me (she works at a card shop and gets paid in packs sometimes  :D).

Surreal

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #54 on: May 18, 2008, 04:03:43 AM »
I am willing to bet I could out-nerd just about anyone here regarding pokemon. I don`t really follow it anymore, but back in RBY and GS I was extremely active in the online community, compiled data and breeding charts, decoded the time reset password, and I`m pretty sure I still have credits in some of the online pokedexes.
---
"The late, sedate, and no to great." ~Surreal

Some Handy Links for CO Work (WotC 339 version) - a compilation of links for base/prestige class handbooks, tactics, spellcasting, character builds, D&D databases, etc.
Archived version of the above with working links

The Mango Index - a giant index for all things D&D and where to find them
The Mango List Reborn! - rehosted by KellKheraptis

Lists of Stuff - listing of class features etc and how to get them, etc. sort of like above but a little more specific and sorted by category
Polymorph, Wildshape and Shapechange, oh my! (comparison charts) - side-by-side comparison of all the various form altering abilities
Alternative Class Features
alternative ways to get class skills

Fox Lee

• Domesticated Capuchin Monkey
  • Me Grimfox KING!
    • Fox Lee Studios
    • Email
« Reply #56 on: May 18, 2008, 05:08:12 AM »
I am willing to bet I could out-nerd just about anyone here regarding pokemon. I don`t really follow it anymore, but back in RBY and GS I was extremely active in the online community, compiled data and breeding charts, decoded the time reset password, and I`m pretty sure I still have credits in some of the online pokedexes.
Does the name "Dynamus" or the phrase "he did what with a fucking Pidgeot?" ring a bell? Or any of this whole fiasco? :p

My partner used to be very active in the newsgroups back in the days of the Chromatic/Metallic series (I was never so active when it came to the games, but I did run a PBeM RPG). Personally, I'm very excited by the current generation because of the new attack/special attack distinction. Love that change :D

the_taken

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
  • Fear of Monkeys!
    • davidpetrie.info
    • Email
« Reply #57 on: May 18, 2008, 10:55:10 AM »
Does the name "Dynamus" or the phrase "he did what with a fucking Pidgeot?" ring a bell? Or any of this whole fiasco? :p

My partner used to be very active in the newsgroups back in the days of the Chromatic/Metallic series (I was never so active when it came to the games, but I did run a PBeM RPG). Personally, I'm very excited by the current generation because of the new attack/special attack distinction. Love that change :D
I used to play PkMn all the time, up 'till recently. Even with only FireRed on a GBA as my arsenal, the kids stopped accepting challenges 'cause I was winning too often, so I don't have any opponents. :(
So I decided to make my own game. Link's in my .sig

Treantmonklvl20

• Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #58 on: May 18, 2008, 12:33:17 PM »
Hi, I'm Treantmonk from Calgary, Canada.

I'm a CO-"lite" as I'm not really into figuring out record-breaking stuff - more just the best options that your DM will allow.  Caelic's "10 commandments of Practical Optimization" is my bible.

Wizards are my specialty, and I'm proud to say that if you've heard wizards called "God wizard" or any meleer called "The Big Stupid Fighter" - I can take credit for that.

I started with D&D in the early eighties then switched to GURPS about the beginning of 2E.  Since then I've played everthying under the sun - though mostly GURPS and VAMPIRE.

D&D became my primary RPG again after 3.0.

I'm in my mid-30's, have a 5 year old daughter and am going down the isle for the 2nd time next year.
If at first you don't succeed - maybe failure is your style.

Tshern

• Clown Prince of Crime
  • Organ Grinder
  • Aistii valoa auttavasti
    • Email
« Reply #59 on: May 18, 2008, 01:43:34 PM »
Following the examples here, I'll give a little introduction to Tshern as well. Also, nice to have you here Treantmonk, I have a lot of respect for you due to your Wizard guides, smart posts and helpful attitude. You're the kind of user all communities need.

On to my introduction then. Like I told in another thread, I am a political dissident fighting against the capitalistic engine of destruction, I love human rights, politics and economy. On top of this, I have created a true paradox of life by making a decision of never taking part into a war, even to defend my own country, because I do not consider independence to be worth more than human lives. The paradoxal part is that I have received military training (compulsory around here) as a combat engineer and I was in the officer school as well.

I started my roleplaying with freeform, but got swiftly introduced to D&D and in no time I became the Sage of our group. In a good way, not skipwilliam-ish way. I've been on a four month hiatus from D&D only participating to PbPs as I haven't found a group that stays together until the first session. Very annoying as I have a D&D itch that needs to be scratched.

English is my third language, though I graduated from an IB high school. IB programme was done entirely in English, so that helped me to attain this level of proficiency. Moreover, it is an international programme, so I met a lot of interesting people and my school actually started my deep interest in international economics.

My future is unsettled. I try to get into Turku University to study political history and sociology, but should I fail to get in due to laziness to read for the entrance exams, I will most probably move to Norway for a while. Got a place to work there and so forth. Hope that works out somehow.

In spite of my inner nerdness, I like sports and I've numerous martial arts (most notably Brazilian jiu-jitsu), floorball, soccer and pretty much anything you can play with your friends without too much investment. Unfortunately my 7 year era of competitive swimming ended due to knee problems. Nowadays my neck is waiting for a surgery, my knees are busted, I've broken pretty much all bones in my body, my ankles have to be operated if I snap my ligaments one more time and all that. I suppose that's what you get for being a stupid daredevil as a kid. Well, I still am.

Another passion of mine is music. I listen to all sorts of music, apart from overly capitalistic gansta rap, teenage pop and whatnot. There are exceptions for everything and I, for example, find Aqua's Aquarium to be one of the best pop records in existence due to the amazing lyrics. I've tried to see as many of my favourite bands live as possible. David Bowie, Black Sabbath, Alice Cooper, Nine Inch Nails, Flogging Molly, Ministry, Rammstein, Rage Against the Machine, you name it.

I appreciate the chance of being here and feel free to contact me. I use my Messenger actively and I try to answer PMs as swiftly as possible. I'd like to get known with you peeps better.

Handy Links