Author Topic: Introductions Thread! Who are you?  (Read 257393 times)

chrisfixedkitty

• Monkey bussiness
  • childfree=intentional nonparent
    • The Adult Space Child Free Podcast
Re: Introductions Thread! Who are you?
« Reply #320 on: April 23, 2009, 05:09:22 AM »
Hi, Chris the Fixed Kitty of the Adult Space Child Free Podcast here. Ding!  I heard a bumper on another podcast and eventually wound up here. :twitch  I'm also a geek of the following flavors: steampunk, scifi, photog, anime/manga, HK/action, knit/bead/sew/costumery, garden, and cook/foodie.  I also have boobs and Chronic Fatigue Syndrome.  I have cut up bodies with specialized power tools in rural Indiana.  I am currently a professional convalescent with aspirations to return to Quality Assurance in biotech/pharm/devices.

I came back to gaming after a looooong hiatus for a little geeky nostalgia and a little needing to meet new people in the East/South Bay corner of San Francisco/San Jose.  I started on D&D 2nd ed, several homebrews, and a few years of diceless homebrew.  I'm now in a 3.5 and 4e game, and I greatly prefer 3.5 for skillmonkeying and individualizable aspects that 4e does not currently have the source material/mechanics to support.  When the 4e game ends in summer, the husbean and I will find another 3.5 game or start a Spirit of the Century game if we can scrounge local players.  We also board/cardgame, but not in any addictive, mad-scientist-themed way that threatens to overwhelm the very boundaries of this plane of reality... really!   ;)

I'm attending my first gaming con (Kublacon) next month. 

Hello, all!
CF
Chris the Fixed Kitty of The Adult Space Child Free Podcast, signing out.

InnaBinder

• Grape ape
  • OnnaTable
    • Okay - - Your Turn: Monte Cook's Message Board
« Reply #321 on: April 23, 2009, 10:01:04 AM »
Well met and welcome, CFK.  What flavor do you prefer for your steampunk?
Winning an argument on the internet is like winning in the Special Olympics.  You won, but you're still retarded.

I made a Handbook!?

chrisfixedkitty

• Monkey bussiness
  • childfree=intentional nonparent
    • The Adult Space Child Free Podcast
« Reply #322 on: April 23, 2009, 04:22:28 PM »
What an interesting question!  Philosophically, I'm more steam than punk with an emphasis on the excitement of the developing sciences, what some term "NeoVictorian".  I prefer the late 1880s for fashion.  I've most recently been indulging in some of the comics/remakes, like Gotham by Gaslight and The Five Fists of Science, but I also really like the American West steam.  I just picked up the first trade of Atomic Robo.  I must confess, my non-illustrated reading has remained primarily pre-neoVictorian (ie, actually Victorian and Edwardian day pulp, like Doyle, Wells, Verne, Lovecraft, Lord Dunsany), but that will be changing once I delve deeper into my awaiting bookshelf.  I also love more recent pulp, and want to dabble in steam noir.
Chris the Fixed Kitty of The Adult Space Child Free Podcast, signing out.

Slaughterhouserock

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
  • Hail to the king, baby.
    • Horror Movie Fans
    • Email
« Reply #323 on: April 23, 2009, 06:54:52 PM »
I suppose I could introduce myself now that I've already posted a couple times.

My name's Bill, but I'm known as Slaughterhouserock(or Slaughter) wherever I may go on the internet.  I've been playing D&D since I was 13, so around 15 years.  I took a long break completely bypassing 3.0 and jumped back in with 3.5.  I've been through several gaming groups over the past 5 years or so and am currently stuck playing online with people who have never played before.  It's fun, but I miss the tabletop comradery of years gone by.

Some non-D&D related stuff.  I'm a huge horror buff and metalhead.  I enjoy reading, playing video games(though nothing new), camping, and hiking.  I collect knives, swords, and other non-ranged weaponry.  I used to collect comic books, but stopped about 10 years ago because I'm too damn picky.  I was in a band for about 8 years, but rarely ever pick up my bass these days.  I live in florida and I'm currently working in a furniture warehouse.  That about covers everything.
The DM giveth and the rogue taketh away.
I have a 5 in Charisma and Diplomacy is a cross-class skill.  Hopefully I don't piss off too many people.

Irthos Levethix

• Donkey Kong
  • We're all a little mad here
    • Email
« Reply #324 on: April 23, 2009, 07:37:11 PM »
Welcome to the boards!

Out of curiousity, what do you use to play D&D online?
Run, my pretty little chunks of XP!! - Belkar Bitterleaf

92% Tactician 83% Method Actor 75% Min/Maxer         Thats 250% of Gamer, bitches!

InnaBinder

• Grape ape
  • OnnaTable
« Reply #325 on: April 23, 2009, 07:58:18 PM »
Welcome, Slaughter.  Bowen will no doubt be glad to have another metalhead on board, and there are a few around here with interests in the collection of offensive (or defensive) cutlery, not to mention tentacles horror.
Winning an argument on the internet is like winning in the Special Olympics.  You won, but you're still retarded.

I made a Handbook!?

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #326 on: April 24, 2009, 06:26:47 AM »
Welcome, Slaughter.  Bowen will no doubt be glad to have another metalhead on board, and there are a few around here with interests in the collection of offensive (or defensive) cutlery, not to mention tentacles horror.
Hey! Just because I have an illithid avatar, posted a video of a weird squid, and found a link to Tentacle Grape does not mean that I have a tentacle fetish. :mad
My work
The tier system in a nutshell:
[spoiler]Tier 6: A cartographer.
Tier 5: An expert cartographer or a decent marksman.
Tier 4: An expert marksman.
Tier 3: An expert marksman, cartographer and chef who can tie strong knots and is trained in hostage negotiation or a marksman so good he can shoot down every bullet fired by a minigun while armed with a rusted single-shot pistol that veers to the left.
Tier 2: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything, or the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.
Tier 1: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything and the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.[/spoiler]

Slaughterhouserock

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
  • Hail to the king, baby.
    • Horror Movie Fans
    • Email
« Reply #327 on: April 24, 2009, 08:10:42 AM »
Thanks for the welcome guys.

To Irthos:  This is my first time playing online, but I'm using MapTools combined with Vent.  It's about as close to tabletop play as I could get.  I'm DMing the game for some of my buddies on a horror forum who expressed interest after I bitched about not being able to find a group.

To Inna:  Good deal, I'm glad I'm not alone in that.  And there's nothing wrong with a little shokushu goukan.  Hell, I even own a live-action version of La Blue Girl.  It's...interesting to say the least. :p
The DM giveth and the rogue taketh away.
I have a 5 in Charisma and Diplomacy is a cross-class skill.  Hopefully I don't piss off too many people.

AfterCrescent

• Honorary Moderator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Here After
« Reply #328 on: April 24, 2009, 10:04:48 AM »
Hell, I even own a live-action version of La Blue Girl.  It's...interesting to say the least. :p
It's minorly disturbing, actually. :P
Truth be told the live action makes the anime version comedic.
The cake is a lie.
Need to play table top? Get your game on at:
Brilliant Gameologists' PbP Forum. Do it, you know you want to.
The 3.5 Cleric Handbook
The 13th Guard - An alternate history campaign idea.
Clerics just wake up one morning and decide they need to kick ass, and it needs to be kicked NOW. ~veekie

Autopsibiofeeder

• Monkey bussiness
    • Email
« Reply #329 on: April 24, 2009, 10:16:23 AM »
Hello folks,

Been lurking here a while now, figured I'd introduce myself before I actually post something. Don't want to be rude  ;).

I have been playing DnD for what feels like ages, started with 2E back in the days. I have been lurking on the old wizards forum, then gleemax and now here for quite some time. I have a gaming group that has been pretty much the same for over 15 years now. So we pretty much molded the game to our own liking, which is why I do not post a lot: My questions would require too much explaining and my answers would likely not fit the game-style of the person in need. However, I may post a thing or two regardless, should I feel like it.

I am pretty much the default DM for our group, as I have the best grasp on the rules (we play 3.WhatWeMadeOfIt), but soon I get to play for one campaign (yay!). I am from The Netherlands, a palaeoecologist, a musician and death metal fan and of course an addicted gamer. I think I can be considered an optimizer, but within the constraints of our game: we have a heavy emphasis on 'gentleman agreements': the fact that you can and, ultimately, may do something, does not mean you have to. Fun, letting each other shine and a streamlined game is more important than being omnipotent and powerful.

Anywho, Hi!  :D

InnaBinder

• Grape ape
  • OnnaTable
« Reply #330 on: April 24, 2009, 10:31:46 AM »
Welcome Autopsi; glad you chose to emerge from the shadows.  It'd be interesting to read your group's house rules on 3.X, with so much history together.

Nice om u te ontmoeten.

I made a Handbook!?

Necroblivion

• Monkey bussiness
    • Rifts d20 Conversion Project
    • Email
« Reply #331 on: April 24, 2009, 11:08:07 AM »
Welcome Chris, Auto and Slaughter!

I see the rebellion is growing stronger!  Yes! YESSSSSSSSSSsssssss... give in to the power of the Dark Side!  Perhaps my metaphor is not altogether accurate since I'm voting for the rebellion after all.  Anyway, nice to meet you all.

As for my fellow metalheads, I too am a devout fan of eclectic metal bands, mostly of the late 80's and 90's.  My tastes include classic rock, hard rock, metal, industrial and some electronica.  Faves run like KMFDM, Iron Maiden, David Bowie, Nine Inch Nails, Iced Earth, Alice Cooper and many many more.

I also see that so many of us play 3.whatwemadeofit lol...  ;)
"Anyone who does not fear death can himself inflict it." - Machiavelli

Thingus

• Noob
    • Email
« Reply #332 on: April 25, 2009, 09:52:07 AM »
Hey folks, my name's John, but in the great wide expanse of the Interwebs, I tend to go by the name of Thingus.

I'm just getting back into roleplaying after quite a long hiatus, but I did play some 3.0 ed back in the day, and have GMed the occasional game of Paranioa :) I also do the occasinal bit of light LARP, for the fact that you get to hit people with padded sticks, and what's better than hitting people with padded sticks?

As to other hobbies, I have been known to use curved sticks and string to propel pointy sticks into bales of hay. I believe the uninitiated call it archery. I also futz around with computers, and enjoy music on the heavier side of rock and metal.

Good to be here :D

Josh

• Brilliant Gameologist
  • Grape ape
    • Email
Re: Welcome to the Gameologists Forum
« Reply #333 on: April 26, 2009, 01:40:53 AM »
Heya Gameologists.

This is Sean from Narrative Control and I've been listening to BG for a while, pimping you (by including your promos in NC and recomending you guys to friends) as well as some chat over Twitter (@duckout). 

I haven't joined your forums yet because I never keep up with forums and I hate creating extra accounts.  However, I got a post on my forum that made me think I really need to come here and say thanks.

Quote from: Trapcast_Jenn
Just started listening (you can thank bg_meg!) and really enjoy it.

Thanks bg_meg, I appreciate it... and now I'm off to pilfer through the rest of your forums and probably disagree some with bg_josh.

Sean Nittner
Narrative Control (http://www.narrativecontrol.com), Host.

I listen to Narrative Control, it has just never naturally come up in conversation on the show.  And I have to say the show is well done, you were very lucky to find such a talented co host. 
Ennies Nominees - Best Podcast 2009

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #334 on: April 27, 2009, 08:21:01 PM »
I guess I should finally introduce myself. Been procrasting long enough.

Gawain introduced me to this site, and I'm sure by now you've seen my posts on here about the DM I currently have. Last session he proved he's not all bad if you argue that what you did was what your character would have done (ie turned down a demon's help to upgrade your magic weapon to nearly epic level for "free"). BTW, is there a thread for "What kind of DM do you have?" I've seen them on other sites, but I can't seem to see one here. They're the ones that have the list of stereotyped DMs. If not, we should totally make one

I've been doing D&D since 2nd, but I've also only been with one particular group until now. I don't really have any hobbies, but I do like anime and watch a lot of that in my spare time.

I hope I'm able to give as well as I get.
I reject your reality, and substitute my own.

When God gives you lemons... it's time to find a new God.

Like D&D Freakouts? Check out this 4th Ed one.

AfterCrescent

• Honorary Moderator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Here After
« Reply #335 on: April 27, 2009, 10:44:46 PM »
Welcome John and Kevin. :D Hope you both enjoy your stay here.

Kevin, feel free to start that thread, since I don't think we have one here yet. ;)
The cake is a lie.
Need to play table top? Get your game on at:
Brilliant Gameologists' PbP Forum. Do it, you know you want to.
The 3.5 Cleric Handbook
The 13th Guard - An alternate history campaign idea.
Clerics just wake up one morning and decide they need to kick ass, and it needs to be kicked NOW. ~veekie

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #336 on: April 28, 2009, 12:33:35 AM »
Welcome John and Kevin. :D Hope you both enjoy your stay here.

Kevin, feel free to start that thread, since I don't think we have one here yet. ;)
Fair enough. Um, where should I put it?
I reject your reality, and substitute my own.

When God gives you lemons... it's time to find a new God.

Like D&D Freakouts? Check out this 4th Ed one.

Meg

• Message Board Extraordinaire
  • Brilliant Gameologist
  • Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Are you rapier than me?
    • Brilliant Gameologists
    • Email
Re: Welcome to the Gameologists Forum
« Reply #337 on: April 28, 2009, 08:33:57 PM »
Heya Gameologists.

This is Sean from Narrative Control and I've been listening to BG for a while, pimping you (by including your promos in NC and recomending you guys to friends) as well as some chat over Twitter (@duckout). 

I haven't joined your forums yet because I never keep up with forums and I hate creating extra accounts.  However, I got a post on my forum that made me think I really need to come here and say thanks.

Thanks bg_meg, I appreciate it... and now I'm off to pilfer through the rest of your forums and probably disagree some with bg_josh.

Sean Nittner

Heya Gameologists.

Sean Nittner

I listen to Narrative Control, it has just never naturally come up in conversation on the show.  And I have to say the show is well done, you were very lucky to find such a talented co host. 

I moved this out of the Meta board.  Welcome Sean!  We're thrilled to have you!
All of my updates are on twitter! 

This is my angry voice.  Text written in red, by me, is  an official moderator "suggestion"

Want to meet me or the other Gameologists?  Check out where we'll be on the Conventions, Meetups and Events board!

Pyrefox

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #338 on: April 29, 2009, 12:20:09 PM »
Hey ppl, I'm just an unknown traveler, you can call me Pyre, Fox, or Pyrefox, whatever you feel like calling me xD. I liked the boards when I noticed it had threads about discussing systems, so I joined :3

I found you guys while googling a list of all D&D 3.5 basic classes, and end up signing up just to see what was in the spoilers of the Favorite Class Topic (curiosity :3). When I found out that the Bard needed serious help there, I decided to stay... I'm still going to explore the various other topics, but I've been kinda busy lately, so I'm just keeping up with the favorite Class game for now :3

I'm working in some worldbuilding with some friends and we're trying to design a powerful and simple generic rpg system. That's one thing I really like, systems... I'm not a player that only cares for combos and stuff like that though o_o

I hope we can find nice things and experiences to share! C ya everyone! o/

burner2501

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Red Box Geek
« Reply #339 on: May 07, 2009, 09:28:49 AM »
*stands up*

Hello. My name is Victor and I am an RPG addict.

I've been playing roleplaying games since grade school in the early 80's when it was red box D&D, Star Frontiers, Marvel Super Heroes and Call of Cthulhu. Over the last couple years I've gotten myself addicted to gamer podasts as well. Now I have somewhere around 60 of them in my iTunes though many of them don't update too often. What these casts have done was get me introduced to all sorts of new and very different RPGs. Yeah, it's good to find a new addiction that feeds the other.  :lol

At the moment, even though my home gaming group is not into much beyond D&D, I've been reading all sorts of indie games and others that might be considered mainstream. All that reading has lead to a couple things. First, I want to play more than just D&D and second I've become intrigued enough by the indie games to realize I could make my own. I know, all gamers say they want to make their own but I'm giving it a go and realizing it's more work than planned.

Just to let you three know, I really like the show. It's one of the few I listen to right off when it downloads. Keep up the great work... and the frankness. I listen to your show primarily for the honesty you three put into it. That, and all the laughs that bet me odd looks at work.  ;)

Victor

Red Box Geek - The scribblings of a roleplay gaming geek.

Victor J. Wyatt's Twitter