Author Topic: Artillery build  (Read 5505 times)

CantripN

• Hong Kong
  • Constantly talking isn't necessarily communicating
    • Cantrip, Gestalt Gish
Re: Artillery build
« Reply #20 on: November 24, 2010, 01:57:05 AM »
A question for CantripN, what benefit is being obtained from Elemental Savant 1? Instead of having the option to change the energy type, you're basically totally locking yourself in. Since you can change the energy type anyway with the Energy Substitution feat, and the descriptor of the spell also changes, what's the point? Energy Resistance 5 isn't something I'd splash a class for, so there has to be something that I'm missing.

It takes extra time to apply Energy Substitution as a Sorcerer. This does it automatically with no extra time. Also, you ignore Fire Resistance/Immunity before you take this (Sactified One of Kord), so why not?
Read, every day, something no one else is reading. Think, every day, something no one else is thinking. Do, every day, something no one else would be silly enough to do. It is bad for the mind to be always part of unanimity.

archangel.arcanis

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: November 24, 2010, 11:18:59 AM »
If you must, I'd at least go for Spellthief + Master Spellthief. There's something to be said about stealing buffs, especially from your allies...

Being MAD isn't fun, anyway.

Agreed and you might as well go for ultimate magus abuse too.

spellthief1/sorcerer1/wizard3/ultimatemagus10/war mage5

And since we're cheesing it up you might as well go loredrake dragonwrought kobold.
I don't think anything that is in the build or using ST with MST is cheesing it up. It is a rather subdued build that just likes to deal damage. It is better than a character spamming persistent fuck you spells. I'd say the damage should be on par with a decent but not TO level charger which is about what I was aiming for.
Clerics and Druids are like the 4 and 2 in 42. Together they are the answer to the ultimate question in D&D.
Retire the character before the DM smacks you with the Table as the book will feel totally inadequate now.-Hazren

BeholderSlayer

• Hong Kong
« Reply #22 on: November 24, 2010, 12:13:31 PM »
A question for CantripN, what benefit is being obtained from Elemental Savant 1? Instead of having the option to change the energy type, you're basically totally locking yourself in. Since you can change the energy type anyway with the Energy Substitution feat, and the descriptor of the spell also changes, what's the point? Energy Resistance 5 isn't something I'd splash a class for, so there has to be something that I'm missing.

It takes extra time to apply Energy Substitution as a Sorcerer. This does it automatically with no extra time. Also, you ignore Fire Resistance/Immunity before you take this (Sactified One of Kord), so why not?
Ahhh I see. Thanks.
Hi Welcome
[spoiler]
Allow me to welcome you both with my literal words and with an active display of how much you fit in by being tone deaf, dumb, and uncritical of your babbling myself.[/spoiler]

snakeman830

• Organ Grinder
  • BG's resident furry min/maxxer
« Reply #23 on: November 24, 2010, 12:13:44 PM »
Spellwarp Sniper + wings of flurry = daze-lock + uncapped force damage. There's very little that will cope with that; only three monsters ever printed that I can think of (the tarrasque, force dragons, and those exploding force golems from MM IV or V).

Force Golems are actually Vulnerable to Force damage (take 150% normal damage).  One of the Gem Dragons, though, is immune.
I am constantly amazed by how many DM's ban Tomb of Battle.  The book doesn't even exist!

Quotes:[spoiler]
By yes, she means no.
That explains so much about my life.
hiicantcomeupwithacharacterthatisntaghostwhyisthatamijustretardedorsomething
Why would you even do this? It hurts my eyes and looks like you ate your keyboard before suffering an attack of explosive diarrhea.
[/spoiler]

If using Genesis to hide your phylactry, set it at -300 degrees farenheit.  See how do-gooders fare with a liquid atmosphere.

archangel.arcanis

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: November 24, 2010, 12:14:23 PM »
Spellwarp Sniper + wings of flurry = daze-lock + uncapped force damage. There's very little that will cope with that; only three monsters ever printed that I can think of (the tarrasque, force dragons, and those exploding force golems from MM IV or V).

Force Golems are actually Vulnerable to Force damage (take 150% normal damage).  One of the Gem Dragons, though, is immune.
I think Crystal but I'll check to verify.

None of the actually. Amethyst is resistant, but only in getting a bonus to saves.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2010, 12:17:25 PM by archangel.arcanis »
Clerics and Druids are like the 4 and 2 in 42. Together they are the answer to the ultimate question in D&D.
Retire the character before the DM smacks you with the Table as the book will feel totally inadequate now.-Hazren

Echoes

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #25 on: November 25, 2010, 07:39:14 AM »

Weird. Oh well, that makes it even better.
BrokeAndDrive speaks the Truth (linked for great justice and signature limits)

Quotes I Found Entertaining:

Huge amounts of people are fuckwits. That doesn't mean that fuckwit is a valid lifestyle.

As a general rule, murdering people and taking their stuff is pretty much superior to breaking their stuff, murdering them, then not having any stuff to take.

Out of Context Theater
[spoiler]
Oh I'll make a party. I'll make a party so hard... I'll make a party that makes you feel so awkward downstairs.

You'll see the party and only be able to respond, "Oh yeah baby."
[/spoiler]

KellKheraptis

• Organ Grinder
  • What's the matter? I thought you had me...
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: November 25, 2010, 10:15:17 AM »
Just shooting from the hip here, and seeing what can be cobbled together...

Sorcerer 6/Incantatrix 5/Sanctified One of Kord 1/War Mage 5/Spellwarp Sniper 3

Would have 4 free metamagic feats, Metamagic Effect for persist tech, and the ability to turn Fireballs into rays.  Now, take the usual damage boosting feats, and sculpt spell.  Fireball is now any shape you want, doing untyped massive damage.  Reserves of Strength to uncap spells.  Take Miser with Magic, using Unfettered Heroism to recharge 1 slot/round.  Congrats, you're now a warlock on crack :D

I know I can do better though...
BG's Resident Black Hatter
The Mango List Reborn!
My Warmage Trickery (coming soon!)
My PrC Pally Trickery (coming soon!)
The D&D Archive
-Work in progress!

archangel.arcanis

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: November 26, 2010, 01:41:02 PM »
where is miser and unfettered?

KellKheraptis

• Organ Grinder
  • What's the matter? I thought you had me...
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: November 26, 2010, 04:48:54 PM »
where is miser and unfettered?

I think Miser with Magic is Kingdoms of Kalamar, sub in Chaotic Spell Recall w/ a means of adding the Chaotic descriptor if cross setting isn't kosher, and Unfettered Heroism is a spell from Eberron.
BG's Resident Black Hatter
The Mango List Reborn!
My Warmage Trickery (coming soon!)
My PrC Pally Trickery (coming soon!)
The D&D Archive
-Work in progress!

BeholderSlayer

• Hong Kong
« Reply #29 on: November 26, 2010, 08:40:26 PM »
UA action points say that you can use one to recall a spell, or prevent it from being taken from your spells/day. I don't really see any point in using Chaotic Spell Recall + Unfettered Heroism when you can do it with JUST Unfettered Heroism...
Hi Welcome
[spoiler]
Allow me to welcome you both with my literal words and with an active display of how much you fit in by being tone deaf, dumb, and uncritical of your babbling myself.[/spoiler]