Author Topic: World war 2 boardgames  (Read 5420 times)

trappedslider

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
World war 2 boardgames
« on: November 21, 2010, 06:41:12 AM »
So, I'm thinking of getting a boardgame based on WW2, I've heard of A&A but after reading the comments over at wotc I don't know if I wanna go that route.
All the above statements are true in some sense, false in some sense, meaningless in some sense, true and false in some sense, true and meaningless in some sense, false and meaningless in somesense, and true and false and meaningless in some sense.

RobbyPants

• Organ Grinder
Re: World war 2 boardgames
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2010, 11:37:38 AM »
A&A is the only one I've played.  There's a computer version you can get which helps both with setup time and with adjudicating things.

It's a fun game, but it's time-consuming.
My balancing 3.5 compendium
Elemental mage test game

Quotes
[spoiler]
Quote from: Cafiend
It is a shame stupidity isn't painful.
Quote from: StormKnight
Totally true.  Historians believe that most past civilizations would have endured for centuries longer if they had successfully determined Batman's alignment.
Quote from: Grand Theft Otto
Why are so many posts on the board the equivalent of " Dear Dr. Crotch, I keep punching myself in the crotch, and my groin hurts... what should I do? How can I make my groin stop hurting?"
Quote from: CryoSilver
I suggest carving "Don't be a dick" into him with a knife.  A dull, rusty knife.  A dull, rusty, bent, flaming knife.
Quote from: Seerow
Fluffy: It's over Steve! I've got the high ground!
Steve: You underestimate my power!
Fluffy: Don't try it, Steve!
Steve: *charges*
Fluffy: *three critical strikes*
Steve: ****
Quote from: claypigeons
I don't even stat out commoners. Commoner = corpse that just isn't a zombie. Yet.
When I think "Old Testament Boots of Peace" I think of a paladin curb-stomping an orc and screaming "Your death brings peace to this land!"
Quote from: Orville_Oaksong
Buy a small country. Or Pelor. Both are good investments.
[/spoiler]

trappedslider

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2010, 04:35:33 PM »
A&A is the only one I've played.  There's a computer version you can get which helps both with setup time and with adjudicating things.

It's a fun game, but it's time-consuming.

yeah,a while back I found a WW2 boardgame,and the board was 6 feet long iirc but I can't remember the name of it
All the above statements are true in some sense, false in some sense, meaningless in some sense, true and false in some sense, true and meaningless in some sense, false and meaningless in somesense, and true and false and meaningless in some sense.

pixledriven

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2010, 10:48:12 PM »
A&A is a pretty great game, just be prepared to sink a few hours into it. I think the fastest game I ever played lasted 3ish, and I had one go for 4 days. (played after work with my roommate, this is seriously all we did all week, probably 30ish hours total ... I lost)

trappedslider

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2010, 12:14:29 AM »
Well I'd be playing it by myself and I found the game I mentioned ealier : The War Game: World War Two by pegaus hobbies and it's board is 3 x 6 feet, but the cost is $102

RobbyPants

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2010, 09:42:57 AM »
A&A is a pretty great game, just be prepared to sink a few hours into it. I think the fastest game I ever played lasted 3ish, and I had one go for 4 days. (played after work with my roommate, this is seriously all we did all week, probably 30ish hours total ... I lost)
Nice.  My cousin has pictures from when I was in college, I got five of us together to play one morning, and the game lasted until after supper.  There are pictures of us with daylight in the window and pictures at night time and we're all sitting in the same spot!

I think it's that game that's turned my wife off to it so much.  I haven't played it on the board in over a decade, and I'm looking for a good excuse!
Elemental mage test game

Quotes
[spoiler]
Totally true.  Historians believe that most past civilizations would have endured for centuries longer if they had successfully determined Batman's alignment.
Why are so many posts on the board the equivalent of " Dear Dr. Crotch, I keep punching myself in the crotch, and my groin hurts... what should I do? How can I make my groin stop hurting?"
I suggest carving "Don't be a dick" into him with a knife.  A dull, rusty knife.  A dull, rusty, bent, flaming knife.
I don't even stat out commoners. Commoner = corpse that just isn't a zombie. Yet.
When I think "Old Testament Boots of Peace" I think of a paladin curb-stomping an orc and screaming "Your death brings peace to this land!"
[/spoiler]

pixledriven

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2010, 08:31:28 PM »
It goes a lot faster with 5 players, if everyone already knows how to play. =)

We also used to only play till we conquered 2 opposing capitals. Cause, if the Axis took Russia and the UK, it's pretty much a foregone conclusion that America will fall, but it can take a really really long time to play that out.

trappedslider

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2010, 12:40:52 AM »
Well I think I'm going to go with somethingelse to do when I'm bored. I'm going to try my hand at making dioramas.

RobbyPants

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2010, 10:09:28 AM »
We also used to only play till we conquered 2 opposing capitals.
I thought that was the default rules... or maybe I've always played a variant.  I know there's another variant where the Axis can win simply by picking up a total combined production of 84 IPCs or more.  That can be a lot easier if you mount a solid offense earlier.  If the Allies retreat to their capitals and surrounding areas, it's not hard to scrape up the rest and make your 84 mark.
Elemental mage test game

Quotes
[spoiler]
[/spoiler]

pixledriven

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2010, 07:20:29 PM »
I could be remembering it wrong, its been a few years. I thought the default was total world domination, though.

RobbyPants

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2010, 09:39:04 AM »
I'm pretty sure total world domination was a variant.  At least it is in the video game version I have.
Elemental mage test game

Quotes
[spoiler]
[/spoiler]

bhu

• Organ Grinder
  • Convincing the rich whale fat enemas are healthy
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2011, 12:59:32 AM »
Is there a way to win as the Axis in A&A without crushing France and Britain by the second turn?  The ALlies earn so much more per turn I cant figure out a way to win without being suicidally aggressive.

RobbyPants

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2011, 02:23:37 PM »
My understanding is that the Axis start out better from an offensive standpoint, but the Allies have a better income.  Every turn the Axis spends not taking territories is a turn spent that boosts the Allies forces.  You pretty much have to take an aggressive stance right from turn 1.

That being said, I don't know that I've ever attempted to take Britain by the second turn.  I also haven't played against a real person in nearly a decade.  I also have the computer version, and usually, by turn 3, even the hard difficulty computer has a hard time providing a real challenge.
Elemental mage test game

Quotes
[spoiler]
[/spoiler]

Kormoran

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2011, 06:18:13 AM »
Let me say: Axis&Allies is one of the most unrealistic wargame I ever saw. When, 10 years ago, tried briefly it, it looked like an evolved RisiKo.

Most of the top producers of serious wargames are missing at the moment (I'm talking about Avalon Hill, International Team, for example).

You can still find Australian Design Group that created one of the most complete and complex strategic simulation: World in Flames (with Days of Decision starting by 1936).
This is a serious game, complex, with a plenty of options (strategic, military, production, diplomacy - if more than 2 players), but be warned: it's very hard to know... but granted we are talking in BG boards... I do not think it's a problem.

Regards.

trappedslider

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2011, 03:52:52 PM »
Let me say: Axis&Allies is one of the most unrealistic wargame I ever saw. When, 10 years ago, tried briefly it, it looked like an evolved RisiKo.

Most of the top producers of serious wargames are missing at the moment (I'm talking about Avalon Hill, International Team, for example).

You can still find Australian Design Group that created one of the most complete and complex strategic simulation: World in Flames (with Days of Decision starting by 1936).
This is a serious game, complex, with a plenty of options (strategic, military, production, diplomacy - if more than 2 players), but be warned: it's very hard to know... but granted we are talking in BG boards... I do not think it's a problem.

Regards.

Looked at it,too long to play and too complex for my taste