Author Topic: Sha'ir Handbook: Semi-Phenomenal, Nearly-Cosmic Power [WIP]  (Read 61223 times)

Daniel678

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
Re: Sha'ir Handbook: Semi-Phenomenal, Nearly-Cosmic Power [WIP]
« Reply #60 on: January 13, 2011, 04:21:49 AM »
Here is a list of the divine spells that can be accessed. Spells that are also on the wizard list are not included unless they can be accessed from a domain at an earlier level.

1 Magic Stone
2 (Wiz 3) Wind Wall, Soften Earth and Stone, Produce Flame, Calm Emotions, Aid, Heat Metal
3 (Wiz 4) Stone Shape, Searing Light
4 Air Walk, Chaos Hammer, Spike Stones, Divination, Order's Wrath, Freedom of Movement, (Wiz 6) Control Water
5 Control Winds, Dispel Law/Chaos, (Wiz 6) True Seeing, Flame Strike
6 Animate Objects, Fire Seeds, Find the Path
7 Word of Chaos, Earthquake, Fire Storm, Dictum, Sunbeam
8 Whirlwind, Cloak of Chaos/Law
9 Elemental Swarm, Miracle
« Last Edit: January 13, 2011, 04:25:45 PM by Daniel678 »

memwen

• Noob
    • Email
« Reply #61 on: May 23, 2011, 12:56:22 PM »
Has anyone had any experience playing a sha'ir at lower levels? The class seems very playable once you reach 5th level or so, but unless I'm missing something, prior to they are you left constantly re-fetching your spells. Especially at level 1, every hour your spells dissipate if you haven't used them.
Are they any methods anyone has come across to deal with this? Strategies to stay prepared for low level encounters, and, perhaps more importantly, not annoy your DM by having to fetch all your spells 10 times per in-game day?

Bigtuna

« Reply #62 on: May 23, 2011, 01:32:08 PM »
haven't tried low level play - but 1 lvl binder + imp binding feat and then enter anima mage would help.
I gives you great synergy with cha, binders gives you acces to Su powers you can use 1/5 rounds, so you have something to do while waiting for your spell to arrive, also actions used on Su abilities are spellslots saved - making you more usefull at lower levels.
Once you get Focalor you get a blast 3d6 dam that will keep you usefull for a few levels.
However binder abilities are best once you get them - so If you go anima mage i strongly suggest binder1/Sha'ir1/Anima mage
- qualify using any of the known tactics, illumian + imp sigil krau, sanctum spell, what ever. If not Anima mage is only good for and easy +4 initiative + 3 persist for free/day (if you have persist) - not bad but at low levels you really want those binder powers to get you through the day.

Benly

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #63 on: May 23, 2011, 06:30:39 PM »
My thoughts on low level: first, see if the DM is okay with you saying "when my spells time out, I send my gen to fetch them again as a matter of course". If he's okay with that, it minimizes headaches for everyone involved and only leaves a problem if enemies attack during your preparation time.

If what you're worried about is being attacked during your inter-prep period, on the other hand, you can leave a few slots un-filled when you initially prepare your spells (not a bad idea anyway, since flexibility is one of the sha'ir's strengths) and prepare them either after your first encounter or halfway through your time-out period. That way, when your first spells start to time out, the second group you prepared still has plenty of time left on them. Remember that you don't actually have to sit around preparing things and holding up the party while your gen is off fetching spells like the wizard does.

Remember also that at level 1 life sucks for everyone. If worse comes to worst, you won't be the only one sighing and pulling out the crossbow.

Daniel678

« Reply #64 on: May 24, 2011, 01:14:51 PM »
Don't have a prep period every hour. Have a spell fetching rotation where you have your familiar fetch a spell every 10/30 minutes. This way you will have all but one of your spells ready all of the time.

kikage

• Monkey bussiness
    • Email
« Reply #65 on: May 25, 2011, 03:07:21 AM »
I've played 1-4 so far, and the DM i'm running with, just lets me keep my spells up off camera. Been rolling as a God, and it's not bad, but every so often I am left wishing that I was a Focused Conjurer. I suppose Sha'ir will pay off when I NEED to blast someone w/ a damage spell.

(The DM had us start as 0 lvl characters and random roll stat bonuses, otherwise I would have rolled F.C. On the upside though, I have UMD, Ride, and Speak Lang. as a class skills picked before stat bonuses were rolled, an extra 6 HP, proficiency in every weapon ever, and the ability to use any wand.)
« Last Edit: May 29, 2011, 03:02:20 AM by kikage »

distributed

• Monkey bussiness
« Reply #66 on: June 04, 2011, 01:04:25 PM »
Does the time a fetched spell stay in memory increase when taking a prestige class that gives +casting?

kikage

• Monkey bussiness
    • Email
« Reply #67 on: June 06, 2011, 04:05:53 AM »
Since the description says Sha'ir lvls specifically, I would say you don't get the increase. Though that is somewhat of a boon @ higher lvls, as long as spells that pass away don't count as cast.

KellKheraptis

• Organ Grinder
  • What's the matter? I thought you had me...
    • Email
« Reply #68 on: June 06, 2011, 04:57:31 AM »
Since the description says Sha'ir lvls specifically, I would say you don't get the increase. Though that is somewhat of a boon @ higher lvls, as long as spells that pass away don't count as cast.

Don't forget the clause in all casting PrC's "essentially means you gain another level in a spellcasting class you belonged to before taking this class."  Same argument as the initial "spells known and PrC's" one, and as far as I'm concerned, the same as the Erudite and UP/Level/Day one (even if consensus differs).
BG's Resident Black Hatter
The Mango List Reborn!
My Warmage Trickery (coming soon!)
My PrC Pally Trickery (coming soon!)
The D&D Archive
-Work in progress!

distributed

• Monkey bussiness
« Reply #69 on: August 10, 2011, 10:50:51 PM »
Feat, courteous magocracy FRCS

+2 diplomacy & spellcraft

Good for a sha'ir?
« Last Edit: August 14, 2011, 01:23:55 PM by distributed »

CantripN

• Hong Kong
  • Constantly talking isn't necessarily communicating
    • Cantrip, Gestalt Gish
« Reply #70 on: August 16, 2011, 03:59:33 PM »
Feat, courteous magocracy FRCS

+2 diplomacy & spellcraft

Good for a sha'ir?

Hell no. Compare to Nymph's Kiss, or re-rolling Diplomacy, and you'll see why.
Read, every day, something no one else is reading. Think, every day, something no one else is thinking. Do, every day, something no one else would be silly enough to do. It is bad for the mind to be always part of unanimity.

distributed

• Monkey bussiness
« Reply #71 on: August 18, 2011, 04:02:44 PM »
Then how do you get up to auto success on the diplomacy checks at level 5 if you don't play good?

CantripN

• Hong Kong
  • Constantly talking isn't necessarily communicating
    • Cantrip, Gestalt Gish
« Reply #72 on: August 18, 2011, 08:57:50 PM »
Wait, you're Evil and you need something?

Dark Pilgrim of Takhisis FTW!

Elder Evils can also help you with skill checks if you're desperate, and you can use Souls and Evil stuff to win, I guess. There's LOTS of ways EVIL is better.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2011, 08:59:45 PM by CantripN »
Read, every day, something no one else is reading. Think, every day, something no one else is thinking. Do, every day, something no one else would be silly enough to do. It is bad for the mind to be always part of unanimity.

distributed

• Monkey bussiness
« Reply #73 on: August 20, 2011, 01:36:03 AM »
neutral actually :banghead

KellKheraptis

• Organ Grinder
  • What's the matter? I thought you had me...
    • Email
« Reply #74 on: October 24, 2011, 06:14:24 PM »
Here's a build for this one :

Sha'ir 5/War Weaver 5/Skypledged 7/Incantatrix 3

Simple, straight to the point, loses one caster level to have a super buff ability and all the wickedness of Metamagic Effect.
BG's Resident Black Hatter
The Mango List Reborn!
My Warmage Trickery (coming soon!)
My PrC Pally Trickery (coming soon!)
The D&D Archive
-Work in progress!

Erevar

• Monkey bussiness
« Reply #75 on: October 26, 2011, 11:49:46 PM »
Has anyone considered the durthan or hathran prestige classes specificaly their place magic ability which would allow the sha'ir to cast spell even when he has none prepared at the moment as full round actions. Furthermore following the logic tha he qualifies as both an arcane and divine spell caster you can enter the hathran prestige class by level 3.

solara

• Domesticated Capuchin Monkey
« Reply #76 on: October 27, 2011, 03:47:50 PM »
Has anyone considered the durthan or hathran prestige classes specificaly their place magic ability which would allow the sha'ir to cast spell even when he has none prepared at the moment as full round actions. Furthermore following the logic tha he qualifies as both an arcane and divine spell caster you can enter the hathran prestige class by level 3.

Or you could use the 3.5 version of the Hathran prestige class, from Player's Guide to Faerun, which requires 4th level arcane OR divine spells (among other, non-trivial things). Durthan wasn't updated, though.

Erevar

• Monkey bussiness
« Reply #77 on: October 28, 2011, 05:21:34 AM »
Crap i forgot it was updated, however i am a bit curious in this case what would the sha'ir spells known would be for this ability and whether the spells he learns? acquires? from identifying the spells of other spellcasters would also be accessible via this method.

Benly

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #78 on: October 28, 2011, 11:34:08 PM »
Crap i forgot it was updated, however i am a bit curious in this case what would the sha'ir spells known would be for this ability and whether the spells he learns? acquires? from identifying the spells of other spellcasters would also be accessible via this method.

The sha'ir's only spells known are those he has as Spells Known. Spells he has identified are not among his spells known despite having a class feature that allows him to prepare such spells.

Erevar

• Monkey bussiness
« Reply #79 on: October 29, 2011, 03:01:08 AM »
A pity cause then you could basically make a sharingan user from naruto in D&D using the Sha'ir