Author Topic: All-purpose Super Robot Wars thread  (Read 27579 times)

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
Re: All-purpose Super Robot Wars thread
« Reply #40 on: February 06, 2011, 08:14:19 PM »
IIRC the third time around you can choose an extra starting unit. Or was that the fourth? Also, something about being able to choose your own Seishins?

Just be sure to put it in the Projects & Plugs section.
My work
The tier system in a nutshell:
[spoiler]Tier 6: A cartographer.
Tier 5: An expert cartographer or a decent marksman.
Tier 4: An expert marksman.
Tier 3: An expert marksman, cartographer and chef who can tie strong knots and is trained in hostage negotiation or a marksman so good he can shoot down every bullet fired by a minigun while armed with a rusted single-shot pistol that veers to the left.
Tier 2: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything, or the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.
Tier 1: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything and the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.[/spoiler]

Cubey

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #41 on: February 07, 2011, 08:03:04 AM »
Yes, please do run an SRW J LP. You have our full support. I remember Nerdo having one (link) earlier, but that was ages ago, on a different forum, and he quit after ~12 missions. Besides, now we have the fan translation. That makes stuff easier to understand.

As far as actual gameplay is concerned, I prefer W to J. But hey. GBA and DS. No comparison in technical ability. But just because W is more fun to play doesn't mean J is not fun to read about.

Main Character unit:
[spoiler]Finish the game using each original robot and you can pick Raftclans as the fourth. Surprisingly to no one, it is incredibly powerful. Seishin I think are still only dependant on whether you pick Touya or Calvina, and if you pilot a real or a super.[/spoiler]

Gundam Optimal

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
    • Email
« Reply #42 on: February 07, 2011, 06:04:39 PM »
I'm aware that it takes 3 playthroughs to unlock the special unit, but I don't know if I want to play through the entire game a third time before I do this. Its already taking me quite a while to get through the second, and frankly, I think I'll have to start with a brand new game file anyway, so that everyone is on the same page and the Favorite Series mechanic matters.
"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing."

The enemy is stupidity and our chosen weapons are giant robots: A Let's Play of Super Robot Wars J

Cubey

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #43 on: February 07, 2011, 06:51:55 PM »
I wouldn't have patience to play this game 3 times. I barely have patience to play a SRW title I like twice.

You heard me, I didn't like playing J. No, that's not correct - I didn't like it as much as I hoped for. Everything just takes forever to kill, and there is little variety of enemies so it gets very monotonous after a while. This title is not hard, but for me - it's just boring.

It is not a bad game. In fact, it's probably a really good game. It's just not my style, really.

The same applies to SRW D, only with even more "everything takes forever to die" factor and some actual difficulty. Thanks, armor bug!

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #44 on: February 12, 2011, 11:38:25 AM »
My work
Tier 3: An expert marksman, cartographer and chef who can tie strong knots and is trained in hostage negotiation or a marksman so good he can shoot down every bullet fired by a minigun while armed with a rusted single-shot pistol that veers to the left.
Tier 2: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything, or the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.
Tier 1: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything and the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.[/spoiler]

Cubey

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #45 on: February 12, 2011, 03:54:46 PM »
Preview. Despite no news about originals, awesome beyond words. I have to go to the bathroom now.

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #46 on: February 12, 2011, 04:28:43 PM »
Ah, confirmation that both Old and New Dancougar will be playable. Including Final Dancougar.

There's definitely going to be a Final Obari Special here. After all, Combattler/Voltes/Daimos got one.

On a semi-related note...
« Last Edit: February 12, 2011, 04:40:49 PM by Prime32 »
My work

oslecamo

• Grape ape
« Reply #47 on: February 15, 2011, 07:24:53 PM »
Funny story about Alpha Gaiden stage 29.

The guide says that to get the skill point of that level I need to deploy Jiron and persuade brain-washed Elchi twice.

I however didn't deploy him (as I only check the guide when the battle is already going), so said "Screw character relationships, I'll go for gun diplomacy!". Proceed to beat the crap out of Elchi whitout killingg her, and, what do you know, I get the skill point after all! :p

Cubey

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #48 on: February 15, 2011, 07:37:30 PM »
Now you're thinking like a Xabungle character.

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #49 on: February 15, 2011, 07:43:59 PM »
« Last Edit: February 15, 2011, 07:46:40 PM by Prime32 »
My work

Cubey

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #50 on: February 15, 2011, 10:14:55 PM »
Walker Gallia is a man!

Also, scaling in that game... it's so bad, which is to say non-existant. Transformers would be proud.

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #51 on: February 16, 2011, 06:21:15 AM »
Also, scaling in that game... it's so bad, which is to say non-existant. Transformers would be proud.
Eh, the SRW Z2 intro has Lancelot the same size as Daitarn 3.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2011, 09:50:31 AM by Prime32 »
My work

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #52 on: February 19, 2011, 09:31:48 AM »
One of the better-animated parodies I've seen. I don't know anything about the series involved other than the names and "lol(icon) fanservice" though.
My work

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #53 on: February 21, 2011, 12:36:37 PM »
Huh, never heard anything about this before:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=By5WBdJNFgc

Includes Lancelot, Double X, Exia, Gespents...
« Last Edit: February 21, 2011, 12:39:21 PM by Prime32 »
My work

Cubey

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #54 on: February 23, 2011, 12:39:58 AM »
SRW Z2 main character info partially out. Have a pic - sorry for crap quality.

The black/blue haired guy, Crow, confirmed for Blaster's main pilot. Cool to have an older (not old, simply not a kid) protagonist again. He supposedly dislikes women, although no idea where that info came from. The ambigously gendered blonde person, Traia/Tryer, is unknown. Could be a copilot. Could be a pilot of a totally different unit.

Still hoping for a female MC in a super-type. But I like what I see so far. Good character designs, good realtype original mech.

Cubey

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #55 on: February 24, 2011, 07:59:10 AM »
Higher quality pics, just follow this link.

Crow confirmed for an egotist woman hater, him and Traia confirmed (in the fandom's eyes at least) for yaoi guys. Also includes pics of various units using their special abilities. Gurren Lagann can switch between its two pilots, Lelouch sucks in combat but uses clever tactics, etc.

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
My work

Cubey

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #57 on: March 03, 2011, 05:57:17 AM »
That's pretty nice, but I actually prefer the original version. This person's remixes work better for more melancholic, real-type pilots like Joshua from SRW D. Ichitaka is optimistic and in-your-face, and so is his theme. The violins make the remix too subtle.

EDIT: What the heck, someone else made the Joshua Theme remix. It totally sounded like TsuRyu though. Anyway, listened to a few other remixes: Bullet Striker (didn't like it), Land Crasher (nice 8-bit arrangement) and the Right Stuff (only subtly different from the original, but overall for the better IMO).

I want to play SRW Z again now...
« Last Edit: March 03, 2011, 06:09:51 AM by Cubey »

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #58 on: March 03, 2011, 11:04:18 AM »
I personally liked the PS2 mix of the SRW K girl's theme. Just posted Rushbird because there can't be many remixes of it.
My work

Gundam Optimal

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
    • Email
"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing."

The enemy is stupidity and our chosen weapons are giant robots: A Let's Play of Super Robot Wars J