Author Topic: All-purpose Super Robot Wars thread  (Read 27583 times)

Cubey

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
All-purpose Super Robot Wars thread
« on: November 20, 2010, 11:45:08 PM »
Okay, more like one purpose: talk about anything SRW-related.

I'll start by reposting my SRW L impressions from the Gaming thread.

But because I am not a cheapskate, I won't only copy-paste, I'll add in stuff from three missions more.

Cubey

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
Re: All-purpose Super Robot Wars thread
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2010, 12:20:05 AM »
Guess who got his hands on SRW L!

So far, this game looks really, really good. Nuts to any pre-emptive criticism people might have had. The interface is really easy to work with. Setting up supports and figuring out hit chances on map attacks was never so much fun. Graphics and animations are really cool - not only for new series, even old ones have new animations. And almost every unit has a dynamic kill on its strongest attack.

Surprisingly enough, there are no parts to equip. There are, however, pilot parts that increase the pilots' stats and abilities. I didn't reach so far to use the partner system yet, but my hopes are high. Likewise, dunno about difficulty yet. The first stages were not too difficult, but not a piece of cake - you can lose if you are very careless.

Spoilered plot impressions!
[spoiler]
Mission 1 is Macross Frontier! VF 25s cannot enter Gerwalk mode as a seperate unit, but they use it for attacks like Ozma here presents. The Valkyrie Fighters are VERY good in this game. Lots of defensive abilities (shoot down, sword cut, pinpoint barriers), AND strong attacks.

Also, for some reason Voltes is working along SMS. It has a lot of HP, and its attacks are very damaging. V-Slash has the base of 5200 damage and requires only 45 energy, making it moderately spammable. Ozma's hissatsu is ~4500 base damage, in comparison, while the VFs' missiles are ~3500 and the gunpod is 2500. Just to give an estimate of how spread damage values are in this game.

Second mission brings us Macross Frontier pilots that weren't present in the first one:

Konig Monster! Yes, yes, YES. I've been waiting for this. Kanaria, you are awesome.

Klan's Pixie Squad Attack! That's right, Nene and Lalamia are in this game, and they already had more lines in one interlude than in the whole Frontier series. And Klan herself kicks ass too. Forget jobbing, that was canon. This is better than canon.

The second mission is the one where Luka gets his shotariffic butt eaten by a Vajra capital ship and they have to rescue him. They're running kinda fast through Frontier's plot, aren't they? Frontier folded towards Earth, by the way, which means another series is introduced:

SEED Destiny! I get Shinn and his friends, as well as Minerva. Apparently in this game we play from ZAFT's perspective like in Z, rather than Kira's like in K. Very, very good. We also had a small interlude earlier when the Gundam Jackers... well, jacked the Gundams. But it was not interactive.

Impulse is not as good as the VFs. Its strongest attack deals only 4050 base damage, and the spammable one is at ~3000. Of course, we know Shinn gets an upgrade. The ZAKUs are predictably weaker. Amusingly enough, Lunamaria's beam tomahawk attack reminds me of Getter Q from MX. She throws the axe and then twists it in the damaged robot.

Also, Brera. But shh. We're not supposed to know who he is yet.

After the mission, we have Ranka singing in the Zentradi ghetto mall (I told you, Frontier's plot moves fast here) with the Destiny folk watching, so I guess they joined in with SMS. But I cannot upgrade units now so the plot moves to other people's POV now. What will happen later? It's a mystery.

EDIT: A few extra comments.
No protagonist yet. He'll probably appear in the next mission, along his robotic maid sidekick.
Nagisa from Iczer-1 is hanging around Frontier, for some reason.
Mikhail's sniper rifle attack looks different whether the mission takes place in space or atmosphere. I hope it's the case for others too.[/spoiler]

PART TWO!

I familiarised myself with the partner system. As expected - it took the best parts from OGS and K and consolidated them into one good system. Lack of parts makes it harder to mix flyers and non-flyers, but some units have squad bonuses of "everyone gets A in this or that environment" so it helps.
Also, I noticed dodging drops as you receive more attacks in a round. To make dodge tanking riskier, I guess. This may become very annoying later in the game. On the other hand, it may help dealing with bosses, too.

Plot spoilers!

What we had before was the prologue. Real numeration starts now.

Mission 1
[spoiler]
We start with our MC! And his assistant, as this picture shows us. She's totally not Nia from TTGL. She is robot maid Nia. That's triple the moe.

They live in the house of a mad scientist that creates robot maids and actual giant robots. He also made a set (robot and maid) for the MC's rival, but he ran away when trouble has risen. Jerk.

And what was that trouble? Linebarrels plot. The bad guys are attacking and... well, I don't really know Linebarrels. But the series' MC is rogue at the moment and attacking both sides. And then...

Bang! Dancougar Nova to the rescue.

It's a pretty damn cool unit. Strong and tanky, with 4 pilots. Too bad you don't get to keep it yet.
Rushbird isn't halfway bad either. In fact, it is pretty awesome, if the lack of a really strong hissatsu suggests obvious upgrades later. And I really like its theme. It is upbeat and energetic.

Lastly, this scenario has the local SRW asshole, Wufei from Gundam Wing. He is an enemy, so you can do this.

Beat the crap out of him. Beautiful.

And also, I get supporting characters from Linebarrels to join me, but I didn't take any really awesome or amusing pictures so not much to say here.[/spoiler]

Mission 2
[spoiler]Time for people you recognize from SRW K. Kenji trains using Jeeg with the help of people from his canon and the Mazinger Z cast. And by help I mean they shoot missiles at him to make him focus harder. Harsh. And then the bad guys attack.

I'm pretty sure this cut-in of Kyo is new. Tsubaki gets one too, which she didn't have in K. But other than that, Jeeg has only small visual changes since the last game. A bit disappointing, but it's a cool series so I don't mind too much.

Mazinger has the Mazinkaiser plot here, so everyone looks appropriately over the top and insane. Excellent.

Predictably, Mazinger Z as a unit is not too hot (because it gets upgraded later. To what? Hint: it's in the series title), and Venus A is a support unit. Boss Borot though? Surprisingly powerful offensively. Boss can't take a hit without keeling over, so it's more like a glass cannon.

Okay, I'm pretty sure Jeeg Bazooka didn't have a dynamic kill, so that's one big change. It still kicks ass, just like the Jeeg Drill which you unlock this mission. Still, considering stats of units that joined so far, VFs from Frontier are really, really good. Can't wait to have them back.[/spoiler]

Mission 3
[spoiler]
STOP!

Space alien lesbian robots!

Yup, we're having Iczer-1 plot. Iczer herself isn't too strong at first but she gets an upgrade in a plot event later this mission and gets to keep it. So it's all good.

Other than evil space alien lesbian robots (as opposed to good ones like Iczer), we have Mimetic Beasts for enemies here. That means Godannar, right? Well, Godannar and...

Combattler V! Choudenji Yo-Yo time. Its stats are pretty similar to Voltes's, unsurprisingly.
But you know what? Even though it's old Combattler that we all managed to get bored of 5 times over... somehow, in this game it's kinda cool. SRW L made Combattler cool. The world is ending or what?

As for Godannar...

Mila is in the Okusauer now? Does this mean we are starting BEFORE Godannar's plot? Weird.
Speaking of Okusauer, it kicks ass now. Angel Barrier was meh in K. It rocks in L. Zero Gunner and Core Gunner are stronger, too. Dannar... well, it forms into Godannar so it's alright. The units have different looking attacks now - the changes are not super dramatic, but are bigger than Jeeg's.

Anyway, the Evil Robot Lesbian tries to squash Anna (who is still a schoolgirl at the moment if we're before Godannar's plot), Iczer goes "Nobody kills a cute girl on my watch!", she and Nagisa get a power up, Iczer-1 goes from meh tier to awesome. The main unit's shtick is teleporting/dimension hopping, apparently. Like Baldios or Zeorymer, but with more yuri.

And here's Satoru, one of the three Linebarrels supporting pilots. Since he added cannons to his unit, it totally does not look like a Schutzwald. No sir. Not in the world.

Post-mission, I check my unit list:

And apparently Iczer-1 ditched her giant robot, at least temporarily. If G Gundam and Tekkaman Blade taught me anything - on-foot combatants always kick ass. ALWAYS.[/spoiler]

Overall, I am having lots of fun and cannot wait to see new missions. Blind runs, when you don't know what will happen next, are really fun in SRW. Even if you kinda forfeit secrets that way... but does anyone even know what kind of secrets this game has yet?

Cubey

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2010, 11:11:57 PM »

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2010, 07:34:49 PM »
« Last Edit: November 27, 2010, 09:07:30 AM by Prime32 »
My work
The tier system in a nutshell:
[spoiler]Tier 6: A cartographer.
Tier 5: An expert cartographer or a decent marksman.
Tier 4: An expert marksman.
Tier 3: An expert marksman, cartographer and chef who can tie strong knots and is trained in hostage negotiation or a marksman so good he can shoot down every bullet fired by a minigun while armed with a rusted single-shot pistol that veers to the left.
Tier 2: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything, or the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.
Tier 1: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything and the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.[/spoiler]

Cubey

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2010, 07:59:39 AM »
Holy crap, what an overpowered unit. Truly, Ryoto knows what he is pilotting.

Secrets to SRW L have been kinda discovered. If anyone is interested, let me know. I'm glad I can unlock almost everything on the stage I am at...

[spoiler]Except Yzak and Dearka in Duel and Buster Gundams. FFFFFF[/spoiler]
« Last Edit: November 27, 2010, 08:11:17 AM by Cubey »

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2010, 09:03:34 AM »
Holy crap, what an overpowered unit. Truly, Ryoto knows what he is pilotting.
http://superrobotwars.wikia.com/wiki/PTX-EX_Exbein

lol at the suggestions "Shinji Ikari being manlier in the new movies is affecting everyone based on him!"

I'm curious why the Full Impact Cannon was listed as a default weapon for the Boxer. :p Does this mean no G-Sword Diver though? :( And what is Ratsel going to pilot?

Since we've seen "KYUUKYOKU! GESPENST KIIIIICK!!!" what are the odds we'll get to see "KYOSUKE NO BAKA!"? :p
« Last Edit: November 27, 2010, 02:11:38 PM by Prime32 »
My work
Tier 3: An expert marksman, cartographer and chef who can tie strong knots and is trained in hostage negotiation or a marksman so good he can shoot down every bullet fired by a minigun while armed with a rusted single-shot pistol that veers to the left.
Tier 2: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything, or the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.
Tier 1: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything and the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.[/spoiler]

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2010, 02:27:57 PM »
Found a Youtube account with attack exhibitions for SRW L units.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hnwswx3N3mA&feature=BF&list=ULh833uTMihBI&index=5

Also has cool remixes of XN Geist and Rail to the Dangerzone.

EDIT: *looks at Rushbird vid* When did Yuyuko Saigyouji become the pilot of Zeorymer?
« Last Edit: November 27, 2010, 02:34:14 PM by Prime32 »
My work

Cubey

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2010, 03:56:43 PM »
I didn't unlock the Zeorymer attack yet, so I am trying to avoid spoilers.
Do you mean Alice, though? She always had a Nia vibe for me, instead. Although Rushbird itself is a Yuyuko, since it literally eats up all non-physical attacks and uses them to regain energy.

Love its theme, too. It's just so energetic and upbeat.

oslecamo

• Grape ape
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2010, 02:48:36 PM »
Right, so I'm playing Alpha Gaiden and I come across the VF-11B, wich presents some excellent stats and weaponry.

Yet, not a single pilot of mine seems willing to pilot it!

It's this the game laughing at me, or is there any way to quickly check wich pilots can pilot what that I missed? Or do I need to wait untill I recover more of my team?

Cubey

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2010, 03:22:10 PM »
Okay, I see what you meant by Yuyuko now. I knew it'd become clear once I reach the appropriate stage.
And this attack is not only Zeorymer of the Heavens. It is Zeorymer of HELL! AND! HEAVEN!
Coincidentally, Rushbird was created by GGG's mecha designer.

@Oslecamo:
All units can be pilotted only by people from their respective series (although Turn A and UC Gundam count as one series, for some reason lulz continuity!). So, look for Macross people - Hikaru, Max, Roy, Kakizaki or Millia. I don't think Isamu or Guld can pilot that, but if they do, good for them.

oslecamo

• Grape ape
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2010, 02:08:21 PM »
OH GODS HE'S ONE-SHOTING MY SUPERS!

OH GODS HE HAS 100% CHANCE OF HITING MY REALS!

I'm of course talking about Sanger Zonvolt,the sword  that smites evil of Magus in Alpha Gaiden, first apearance.

He seems to retreat at 60% HP and to have an ungodly amount of HP. Is there any hope I could take him down before retreating in my first walktrough, or should I just be glad I can make him run away for now?

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2010, 02:29:16 PM »
OH GODS HE'S ONE-SHOTING MY SUPERS!

OH GODS HE HAS 100% CHANCE OF HITING MY REALS!
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=8137398&postcount=990
My work

veekie

• Organ Grinder
  • WARNING: Homing Miko
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2010, 06:44:34 AM »
Man, even if I'm not following the anime proper this scene is pretty awesome
The mind transcends the body.
It's also a little cold because of that.
Please get it a blanket.

I wish I could read your mind,
I can barely read mine.

"Skynet begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, August 29th. At 2:15, it begins rolling up characters."

[spoiler]
"Just what do you think the moon up in the sky is? Everyone sees that big, round shiny thing and thinks there must be something round up there, right? That's just silly. The truth is much more awesome than that. You can almost never see the real Moon, and its appearance is death to humans. You can only see the Moon when it's reflected in things. And the things it reflects in, like water or glass, can all be broken, right? Since the moon you see in the sky is just being reflected in the heavens, if you tear open the heavens it's easy to break it~"
-Ibuki Suika, on overkill

To sumbolaion diakoneto moi, basilisk ouranionon.
Epigenentheto, apoleia keraune hos timeis pteirei.
Hekatonkatis kai khiliakis astrapsato.
Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

There is no higher price than 'free'.

"I won't die. I've been ordered not to die."

Cubey

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2010, 09:03:26 AM »
Oslecamo:
Alpha Gaiden doesn't even pretend to be a fair game. Unlike other SRWs, here just finishing the title is an achievement. So don't be worried if you manage not to do something on your first playthrough. No shame in that.

Coincidentally, I didn't find that game that fun. Not even because of the difficulty. It was a combination of two factors:
-Slow, clunky interface.
And
-Showering you with a lot of units, but most of them sucking hard. There are SRWs where most of your units are usable in one form or another, and thus you are free to pick whatever you want for your squad. It may make the game harder, but it will at least still be workable. In @G, this is not the case. Go with the vanilla "winner" robots or be prepared to lose a lot.

So yeah. That's when the game lost me. Sorry.

@veekie:

Yeah, that was pretty awesome. Because it's Royal Heart Breaker, that's why.
Here, have an alternate version*. Archibald cannot believe it either.

* I bet you had this linked to you at least 5 times earlier, but whatever.

That being said, unfortunately I am getting rather disappointed with the anime version. We need more characterization! Sure, the Octo Squad appeared, but did they get any at all? They're just kinda there.  Hell, even Ryusei is just kinda there. If you didn't play OG games before, you wouldn't know he is a colossal otaku (which is his main character trait) because the Inspector won't tell you that for sure.

But I ranted enough about this series on the manga/anime thread. Sorry to bring such negativity here. I promise I'll do better the next time.

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2010, 10:49:41 AM »
That being said, unfortunately I am getting rather disappointed with the anime version. We need more characterization! Sure, the Octo Squad appeared, but did they get any at all? They're just kinda there.  Hell, even Ryusei is just kinda there. If you didn't play OG games before, you wouldn't know he is a colossal otaku (which is his main character trait) because the Inspector won't tell you that for sure.
I think The Inspector is supposed to be a sequel to Divine Wars, where Ryusei was the main character (and his otakuness was very visible). But Divine Wars sucked.
My work

oslecamo

• Grape ape
« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2010, 05:41:51 PM »
-Slow, clunky interface.
A small price to pay for an AI that shows some signs of actual intelegence like focusing on weakened units, I say.

-Showering you with a lot of units, but most of them sucking hard. There are SRWs where most of your units are usable in one form or another, and thus you are free to pick whatever you want for your squad. It may make the game harder, but it will at least still be workable. In @G, this is not the case. Go with the vanilla "winner" robots or be prepared to lose a lot.

So yeah. That's when the game lost me. Sorry.
Oh well I prefer to look at it as a challenge.
 "The enemy is attacking! Your main characters are all busy doing something else, so you must hold the line with a bunch of kids and children wich haven't leveled up for the last dozen mission! And they're all piloting crappy mechas!"

But well, I would be lying if I said I'm not deploying the best characters with the best stuff at every oportunity. :p

Also, it's Sanger's origin damnit! That alone is reason enough to endure this game's sadism!

That being said, unfortunately I am getting rather disappointed with the anime version. We need more characterization! Sure, the Octo Squad appeared, but did they get any at all? They're just kinda there.  Hell, even Ryusei is just kinda there. If you didn't play OG games before, you wouldn't know he is a colossal otaku (which is his main character trait) because the Inspector won't tell you that for sure.

Well, as pointed out by Prime32, The Inspector is suposed to be a sequel, so characterization for those that really need it (the DC dudes, Shine, Shaddow Mirrors, Insectors).

Also, Ryusei had his chance in the spotlight. Now it's Kyosuke's team time to shine. I believe Beowulf made this very clear by curbstomping the SRX in the first episode. :smirk

And even then, once Mai starts piloting the R-Gun I believe the SRX team will get some more love. His main contribution to the plot is yet to come.

On the other hand, Ryusei hugged Latooni to confort her. So it's possible we're witnessing a character change!

Cubey

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2010, 02:21:44 AM »
So, people.

I didn't quite finish SRW L yet, but I am on the penultimate mission.
This is a great game. It has its flaws but I am all too willing to forgive them. The mechanics are a vast improvement over SRW K, and the presentation is beautiful for a DS title. Especially Macross Frontier - so many themes, all of them great, and such great attack animations.

I like the originals too. They are a bit simple, both in terms of plot and mecha design, but there is beauty in simplicity. And their themes are just so fun to listen to.

Overall, possibly the best SRW handheld title. Or at least a strong candidate to that title.

Cubey

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2010, 04:07:47 PM »
[spoiler][/spoiler]

The original plot of this game is simple and straightforward, but there is beauty in simplicity. SRW L just... works.

Overall, it's my #3 favorite SRW title. It competes for that spot with SRW W. #2 is OGS and the champion is SRW Z, in case you were curious.

Cubey

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: December 27, 2010, 03:45:38 PM »
At mission 4 already.

It's so beautiful. It could be a painful reminder of how much witty wordplay and injokes I miss by playing non-translated SRWs... but it is not. I try not to think about it and instead enjoy the translators' hard work. Most of which had to be spent on Izumi's terrible, terrible puns. Of course.

Also, I should learn Japanese.