Author Topic: rebalancing racial LA in 3.5  (Read 2742 times)

reddir

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
rebalancing racial LA in 3.5
« on: November 20, 2010, 09:58:21 PM »
assumption: Designers inflated LA to encourage most players to pick 'standard' races. (several designer note support this)

So, how to bring them back in line so that characters with non-standard races are about on-par with characters using standard races?

Options:
- Just use CR, drop any LA
- CR + 1/2 LA (averaging npc and RAW pc ECL)
- something else?  :p (suggestions welcome :))

If one accepts the "Same-Level Theory", then dropping LA is the way to go. This assumes that the listed CR is properly balanced to begin with.
This is intentionally not the case with some monsters, eg Dragons which are admitted to be listed ~2 CR below what would be correct. (any other examples?)

The argument that PCs are inherently more powerful than a RAW NPC because they have access to special equipment... this would require us to estimate the LA value of equipment, something I am not able to do. But applying 1/2 the RAW LA is an attempt at an answer. (Those who are able to, please let me know what would be better.)

Thanks for any insight on the issue.

veekie

• Organ Grinder
  • WARNING: Homing Miko
Re: rebalancing racial LA in 3.5
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2010, 02:19:57 AM »
I think you'd have to 'disassemble' the creature and examine how it's specific abilities compare with PCs. Most of them have raw numbers in approximately the right places but with actual abilities far below.
The mind transcends the body.
It's also a little cold because of that.
Please get it a blanket.

I wish I could read your mind,
I can barely read mine.

"Skynet begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, August 29th. At 2:15, it begins rolling up characters."

[spoiler]
"Just what do you think the moon up in the sky is? Everyone sees that big, round shiny thing and thinks there must be something round up there, right? That's just silly. The truth is much more awesome than that. You can almost never see the real Moon, and its appearance is death to humans. You can only see the Moon when it's reflected in things. And the things it reflects in, like water or glass, can all be broken, right? Since the moon you see in the sky is just being reflected in the heavens, if you tear open the heavens it's easy to break it~"
-Ibuki Suika, on overkill

To sumbolaion diakoneto moi, basilisk ouranionon.
Epigenentheto, apoleia keraune hos timeis pteirei.
Hekatonkatis kai khiliakis astrapsato.
Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

There is no higher price than 'free'.

"I won't die. I've been ordered not to die."

Runestar

• King Kong
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2010, 07:59:45 AM »
Just evaluate them independently. I think the designers overestimated the usefulness of many abilities, leading to an inflation of LA.
A clear conscience is the surest sign of a failing memory.

oslecamo

• Grape ape
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2010, 08:20:26 AM »
- something else?  :p (suggestions welcome :))

Quote from: Runestar
Just evaluate them independently. I think the designers overestimated the usefulness of many abilities, leading to an inflation of LA.

This. My improved monster classes on my sig and here does exactly this, taking individual monsters, de-constructing them, and then re-building them on a class with the same number of levels as the monster's CR, giving abilities when they're best suited and nerfing/buffing stuff as needed. Also making abilities scale when you start taking normal levels.

Because monsters were never intended to be played by PCs for a whole campaign. They were intended to fight for around 5 rounds and die. There's a significant diference there. If a ogre had just 10 Str and an ability that boosts his Str by 10 for 1 minute per day, would the players notice the diference?

reddir

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2010, 10:51:02 AM »
Quote from: Runestar

This. My improved monster classes on my sig and here does exactly this, taking individual monsters, de-constructing them, and then re-building them on a class with the same number of levels as the monster's CR, giving abilities when they're best suited and nerfing/buffing stuff as needed. Also making abilities scale when you start taking normal levels.

Because monsters were never intended to be played by PCs for a whole campaign. They were intended to fight for around 5 rounds and die. There's a significant diference there. If a ogre had just 10 Str and an ability that boosts his Str by 10 for 1 minute per day, would the players notice the diference?

Wow, that is a pretty cool thread. Following oslecamo's suggestion seemed very difficult, but looking at your thread - I might be able to balance individual levels to what you provided. This might actually be possible :)

Still, I was hoping for a simple, easy answer :)

But your design philosophy does gives me something to think about, monsters are a bit more extreme than we'd like to see in PCs - however, playing something so different is the point of trying a monster.

JoshuaD

• Noob
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2010, 12:44:08 PM »
This is a cool thread. 

I've always thought the LA should slowly wear off as time goes on.  The abilities may be killer at level 1, but they're usually not that big of a deal by level 15. 

oslecamo

• Grape ape
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2010, 06:38:30 PM »
Still, I was hoping for a simple, easy answer :)

There isn't one, because there's hundreds of printed monsters out there, and they don't even try to follow a design philosophy, most of them being aparently designed when the writers were drunk.

You know all the complaining about inter-class balance? Monsters are ten times worst at least. There's completely borked things like the psionic mind flayer(cast as a psion one level higher of it's CR on the top of all the extra goodies?), to completely worthless monsters, and then lots of one-trick poneys that are really good at one thing but can't do anything else properly. Neither are good for players as they are. Solving them case-by-case is the only sane answer.

But your design philosophy does gives me something to think about, monsters are a bit more extreme than we'd like to see in PCs - however, playing something so different is the point of trying a monster.
Well I do strive to make them "diferent". The dragons get to huge or gargantuan size, excellent melee stats, 2/3 sorceror spellcasting and a bunch of extra abilities for good measures. The vasuthant is a giant ball of dark energy with tentacles. The mind flayer eats brains for fun and profit.

RobbyPants

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2010, 11:36:40 AM »
You pretty much have to.  If you try to apply one simple, standard rule, some races will end up overpowered and some underpowered.

I'd say, as a general level, a PC should always have a number of HD equal to their level.  So, LA would need to be converted into some form of RHD to help with balance.
My balancing 3.5 compendium
Elemental mage test game

Quotes
[spoiler]
Quote from: Cafiend
It is a shame stupidity isn't painful.
Quote from: StormKnight
Totally true.  Historians believe that most past civilizations would have endured for centuries longer if they had successfully determined Batman's alignment.
Quote from: Grand Theft Otto
Why are so many posts on the board the equivalent of " Dear Dr. Crotch, I keep punching myself in the crotch, and my groin hurts... what should I do? How can I make my groin stop hurting?"
Quote from: CryoSilver
I suggest carving "Don't be a dick" into him with a knife.  A dull, rusty knife.  A dull, rusty, bent, flaming knife.
Quote from: Seerow
Fluffy: It's over Steve! I've got the high ground!
Steve: You underestimate my power!
Fluffy: Don't try it, Steve!
Steve: *charges*
Fluffy: *three critical strikes*
Steve: ****
Quote from: claypigeons
I don't even stat out commoners. Commoner = corpse that just isn't a zombie. Yet.
When I think "Old Testament Boots of Peace" I think of a paladin curb-stomping an orc and screaming "Your death brings peace to this land!"
Quote from: Orville_Oaksong
Buy a small country. Or Pelor. Both are good investments.
[/spoiler]

wotmaniac

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Emperor's Enforcer
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2010, 02:06:01 PM »
I've always thought the LA should slowly wear off as time goes on. 
In this vein ....
maybe just have LA automatically reduce by 1 every 3 or 4 levels (without having to pay for it).

:twocents:

[spoiler]
If you stop ignoring 289 pages telling what the intent is to stretch "more power" in your own god complexion of your interpretation trumps all to cover ability adjustments from aging then I will ignore a quarter page of rules that exist within a sidebar.
I think in this case the grammar is less important than whether the Str and Dex bonus provided to your created undead scales.

Greenbound Summoning RAI
Expanded Gestalt
More Savage Progressions[/spoiler]
Report any wrongs I have done here.

RobbyPants

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2010, 02:49:01 PM »
It depends on what you get.  Some things scale and some things don't.  Some racial abilities matter when you're 15th level and some don't.  It's hard to make a hard and fast rule that actually works.
My balancing 3.5 compendium
Elemental mage test game

Quotes
[spoiler]
Quote from: Cafiend
It is a shame stupidity isn't painful.
Quote from: StormKnight
Totally true.  Historians believe that most past civilizations would have endured for centuries longer if they had successfully determined Batman's alignment.
Quote from: Grand Theft Otto
Why are so many posts on the board the equivalent of " Dear Dr. Crotch, I keep punching myself in the crotch, and my groin hurts... what should I do? How can I make my groin stop hurting?"
I suggest carving "Don't be a dick" into him with a knife.  A dull, rusty knife.  A dull, rusty, bent, flaming knife.
Quote from: Seerow
Fluffy: It's over Steve! I've got the high ground!
Steve: You underestimate my power!
Fluffy: Don't try it, Steve!
Steve: *charges*
Fluffy: *three critical strikes*
Steve: ****
Quote from: claypigeons
I don't even stat out commoners. Commoner = corpse that just isn't a zombie. Yet.
When I think "Old Testament Boots of Peace" I think of a paladin curb-stomping an orc and screaming "Your death brings peace to this land!"
Quote from: Orville_Oaksong
Buy a small country. Or Pelor. Both are good investments.
[/spoiler]

Runestar

• King Kong
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2010, 09:31:33 AM »
Let's use the ogre mage as an example. It was given a ridiculous ECL of 12 for god knows what reason. But the greater issue is that while it starts with a list of fairly potent abilities, they don't scale at all, so their usefulness decreases rapidly with level. How would you even start to assign a LA for this?  ???

It gets flight at will, regen, sr and some SLAs, of which all but invis/darkness at-will are flat-out useless.

One solution I can think of is to give it a complete overhaul. Replace its SLAs with wiz9 spellcasting, increase racial HD to 8, and LA of +3. So you essentially have a caster with a LA+2 race, and enough hp so you don't croak the moment the kobold so much as breathes on you.  :p

Yeah, I know the golden "Thou shall not give up caster lvs" rule, but being a flying, regenerating mage is novel enough that I am willing to suck up the penalty.  :D

Now, what can we do about the astral deva? Cool abilities, but my experience with one tells me that while it is fairly hard to kill, its damage dealing capabilities is next to zero. So I am essentially deadweight in any party!
« Last Edit: November 25, 2010, 09:37:19 AM by Runestar »
A clear conscience is the surest sign of a failing memory.