Author Topic: Monk's Handbook  (Read 280436 times)

Shiki

• King Kong
  • Mindraped
Re: Monk's Handbook
« Reply #280 on: June 25, 2011, 12:34:59 AM »
^Halfling Martial Monk 5/Psi-Ranger 15 w/ Solitary Hunter, Arcane Hunter, Skilled City-Dweller (switch (Ranger's) Ride for Tumble) and Spell Reflection.

Arcane Hunter = Complete Mage
Martial Monk = Dragon #310
Psi-Ranger = DSP SRD
Skilled City-Dweller = Cityscape Web Enhancement 1
Solitary Hunter = Dragon #347
Spell Reflection = Complete Mage

Apparently, Psi-Ranger ML is equal to his class levels since it's not stated to be half like the standard ranger. That's cool. Tashalatora is also cool. Martial Monk for Shock Trooper and Weapon Supremacy! Full attack w/ TWF (fists) and claws (Claws of the Beast). You may also consider Beast Strike (Dragon #355). Expansion it up. Physical Acceleration also available. I haven't done any math but if you have enough feats, you could get Intuitive Attack, maybe Nemesis (arcanist) and Yondalla's Sense. Of the top of my head.

:hide
"An ally of truth."

Soundtrack of the week:
Kagamine Rin - Antichlorobenzene (ft. Kagamine Ren)

stanprollyright

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #281 on: June 25, 2011, 12:19:07 PM »
Not sure if someone else has mentioned this yet, but Power Attack specifically lists unarmed and natural attacks as an exception to the "no bonus for light weapons" rule.

A Common User

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #282 on: June 26, 2011, 07:01:59 AM »
Not sure if someone else has mentioned this yet, but Power Attack specifically lists unarmed and natural attacks as an exception to the "no bonus for light weapons" rule.
Chemistry

nijineko

• King Kong
  • two strange quarks short of a graviton...
« Reply #283 on: June 26, 2011, 07:53:47 PM »
looks like the autohypnosis 5 ranks were forgotten. the usual reason for taking tashalatora is to minimize the levels of monk that are needed while still getting progression in flurry and such. really depends on the build. while the wording implies that it can only be used with base classes, it is only a tiny stretch to allow it to work with prestige.
arukibito ga michi wo erabu no ka, michi ga arukibito wo erabu no deshou ka?
Never game alone again!
KadoKado! Game for gifts!
The Ultimate Dice Rolling Engine

A Common User

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #284 on: June 27, 2011, 09:42:31 AM »
looks like the autohypnosis 5 ranks were forgotten. the usual reason for taking tashalatora is to minimize the levels of monk that are needed while still getting progression in flurry and such. really depends on the build. while the wording implies that it can only be used with base classes, it is only a tiny stretch to allow it to work with prestige.

Thanks for the answer, but i already knew those stuff: Tashalatora it's one of my fav feats ever xD. The quest was related to the build itself: only 2 level as Psywar, Tasha here it's quite useless imo, it helps for sure, but not so much as it should.

As master i allow Tashalatora's working with psionic PrCs, some nice builds Monk/Swordsage/Warmind are a pleasure to be mastered.
Chemistry

Lycanthromancer

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #285 on: June 27, 2011, 04:11:55 PM »
Has anyone mentioned Ancestral Relic or Item Familiar yet? Because being a monk that can body-slam his way across the battlefield (speed/throwing/distance) could be lots of fun, and it'd take care of so many problems with the monk. Travel 100' as an attack action, and take 6+ attack actions per turn with Flurry/TWF/Snap Kick/Speed?

It'd also let you do ranged things, which are some of the monk's bigger weaknesses. Jump in, flurry attack, and jump out. It sure beats the hell out of Spring Attack.
[spoiler]Masculine men like masculine things. Masculine men are masculine. Therefore, liking masculine men is masculine.

I dare anyone to find a hole in that logic.
[spoiler]
+1 Lycanthromancer
Which book is Lycanthromancer in?
Lyca ... is in the book. Yes he is.
 :D
shit.. concerning psionics optimization, lycan IS the book
[/spoiler]

awaken DM golem

• Organ Grinder
  • PAO'd my Avatar
« Reply #286 on: June 27, 2011, 06:07:21 PM »
I get the image of real life Dwarf Tossing in my head.

And then a Dwarf tossing himself ... crossed with
a part of Fight Club where he's fighting himself, near the end of the flick.

Don't throw me!
 :lmao
I threw me !!
I do myself again.

nijineko

• King Kong
  • two strange quarks short of a graviton...
« Reply #287 on: June 29, 2011, 02:37:25 AM »
Has anyone mentioned Ancestral Relic or Item Familiar yet? Because being a monk that can body-slam his way across the battlefield (speed/throwing/distance) could be lots of fun, and it'd take care of so many problems with the monk. Travel 100' as an attack action, and take 6+ attack actions per turn with Flurry/TWF/Snap Kick/Speed?

It'd also let you do ranged things, which are some of the monk's bigger weaknesses. Jump in, flurry attack, and jump out. It sure beats the hell out of Spring Attack.

k, i'll bite. i can't figure it from memory, and i'm too lazy to look it up. may i humbly ask how that works converting the monk to ranged?
arukibito ga michi wo erabu no ka, michi ga arukibito wo erabu no deshou ka?
Never game alone again!
KadoKado! Game for gifts!
The Ultimate Dice Rolling Engine

zook1shoe

• King Kong
    • Email
« Reply #288 on: June 29, 2011, 02:48:06 AM »
Necklace of Natural Attacks + Throwing + Returning

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
  • You've got one round to give a rat's ass.
    • Email
« Reply #289 on: June 29, 2011, 02:50:48 AM »
k, i'll bite. i can't figure it from memory, and i'm too lazy to look it up. may i humbly ask how that works converting the monk to ranged?

By selecting himself as the Relic, he can enchant his attacks and add the Throwing/Returning properties.

[spoiler][/spoiler]

Brackenlord

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #290 on: June 29, 2011, 03:01:16 AM »
Except he can't since Ancestral Relic only works towards improving masterwork items.

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
  • You've got one round to give a rat's ass.
    • Email
« Reply #291 on: June 29, 2011, 03:21:18 AM »
Except he can't since Ancestral Relic only works towards improving masterwork items.

Insert obvious joke here.

[spoiler][/spoiler]

Lycanthromancer

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #292 on: June 29, 2011, 07:31:16 PM »
See: warforged.

See also: dragonborn warforged.

See also: the monk's unarmed strike is treated as a manufactured weapon. Spend 300 gp upon character creation to make yourself masterwork from the get-go.
[spoiler]Masculine men like masculine things. Masculine men are masculine. Therefore, liking masculine men is masculine.

I dare anyone to find a hole in that logic.
[spoiler]
+1 Lycanthromancer
Which book is Lycanthromancer in?
Lyca ... is in the book. Yes he is.
 :D
shit.. concerning psionics optimization, lycan IS the book
[/spoiler]

Brackenlord

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #293 on: June 29, 2011, 10:21:38 PM »
In this case the monk's parents used special fertility medicine to "make" the masterwork monk.

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #294 on: June 29, 2011, 10:32:02 PM »
Assuming most people have 0 ranks in Craft (baby) and take 10, and the DC is also 10...

Progress of 1 week = 10gp.
9 month crafting time = 38 weeks.
Baby = 380gp.

Therefore, crafting a masterwork baby would take almost twice as long. Conversely, a 20th-level character with 36 Int, Skill Focus and masterwork tools could make a baby in under a week.
My work
The tier system in a nutshell:
[spoiler]Tier 6: A cartographer.
Tier 5: An expert cartographer or a decent marksman.
Tier 4: An expert marksman.
Tier 3: An expert marksman, cartographer and chef who can tie strong knots and is trained in hostage negotiation or a marksman so good he can shoot down every bullet fired by a minigun while armed with a rusted single-shot pistol that veers to the left.
Tier 2: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything, or the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.
Tier 1: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything and the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.[/spoiler]

Brackenlord

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #295 on: June 29, 2011, 11:12:53 PM »
What kind of character has lvl 20 parents? Oh and  you forgot the aid other bonus, you can't make babies alone.

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #296 on: June 29, 2011, 11:35:08 PM »
you forgot the aid other bonus, you can't make babies alone.
I assume that would count as raw materials, since aid another would have to be done repeatedly throughout the process.
My work
The tier system in a nutshell:
[spoiler]Tier 6: A cartographer.
Tier 5: An expert cartographer or a decent marksman.
Tier 4: An expert marksman.
Tier 3: An expert marksman, cartographer and chef who can tie strong knots and is trained in hostage negotiation or a marksman so good he can shoot down every bullet fired by a minigun while armed with a rusted single-shot pistol that veers to the left.
Tier 2: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything, or the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.
Tier 1: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything and the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.[/spoiler]

zook1shoe

• King Kong
    • Email
« Reply #297 on: June 30, 2011, 02:58:17 AM »
With magic you can make your own ;)

Mudkipz

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #298 on: July 12, 2011, 12:23:41 AM »
There is a feat in the Planar Handbook called Acheron Flurry that is an unarmed feat that you missed. Unfortunately, it's crap, but you should probably include it for the sake of completeness.

A Common User

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #299 on: July 12, 2011, 06:26:27 AM »
There is a feat in the Planar Handbook called Acheron Flurry that is an unarmed feat that you missed. Unfortunately, it's crap, but you should probably include it for the sake of completeness.
Well there's many lacks in this handbook...
Chemistry