Author Topic: Monk's Handbook  (Read 280385 times)

carnivore

• Grape ape
Re: Monk's Handbook
« Reply #220 on: June 23, 2010, 05:01:14 PM »
Ah yes, a build that does what the monk is best at; running away.
no the build is great at Tactical Movement... in CORE only campaigns.... and it can keep characters with low Fort saves(Bards,Rogues,Wizards,Sorcerors) busy... by Stunning and Damaging them

it makes an Excellent Scout (greater invisibility+High Spot+Listen+Hide+Movesilent+ great Stats(Dex+Wis))

it can even take on some Tanks in a CORE only environment... High AC+DR+Greater Invisibility+Flight

this was only considering Unarmed Combat only..... add some Monk Weapons and it gets even Stronger

:D

archangel.arcanis

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #221 on: June 23, 2010, 05:12:40 PM »
I think you need to look at Tattooed Monk again. It says number of tattoos in those abilities, not number of tattoos from Tattooed Monk. You can have 20 psionic tats.
At 9th level, that means you can have 26 tattoos (5 class+20 psionic+that Monk tattoo), meaning that you could give yourself +26 to your main stats once a day for 9 rounds. Which is insane, ignoring that other tattoo that lets you heal Wis modifier*class level as a move action. let's see, you should have a +3 modifier at least if you're a monk, and you can boost that to +16 as a move action. 144 points of healing ain't bad.
I said this in the other thread too but will repeat here. You are correct on the wording but aren't thinking broad enough. The effect for most is based on "tattoos you possess". That literally means they don't need to be on your skin only in your possession. I could kill a ship full of pirates skin them and put their tattoos in my pockets and have that many more tattoos count for the class.

No DM would ever allow that unless they were Miles Lane from Celebrity Death Match though. Just an interesting point to show though.
Clerics and Druids are like the 4 and 2 in 42. Together they are the answer to the ultimate question in D&D.
Retire the character before the DM smacks you with the Table as the book will feel totally inadequate now.-Hazren

Amechra

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Thread Necromancy a Specialty
« Reply #222 on: June 24, 2010, 12:27:26 AM »
I limited it to psionic tattoos because you would actually have a small chance of getting a sane DM to agree with you. Like the pirate idea though. Reminds me of one of the weapon stories from Drakengard.

And I have a convert. Yes!
[spoiler]Fighter: "I can kill a guy in one turn."
Cleric: "I can kill a guy in half a turn."
Wizard: "I can kill a guy before my turn."
Bard: "I can get three idiots to kill guys for me."

On a strange note, would anyone be put out if we had a post about people or events we can spare a thought for, or if its within their creed, a prayer for? Just a random thought, but ... hells I wouldn't have known about either Archangels daughter or Saeomons niece if I didn't happen to be on these threads.
Sounds fine to me.
probably over on "Off-topic".
might want to put a little disclaimer in the first post.

This is the Min/Max board. We should be able to figure out a way to optimize the POWER OF PRAYER(TM) that doesn't involve "Pazuzu, Pazuzu, Pazuzu".
[/spoiler]

My final project for my film independent study course. It could do with a watching and critiquing

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #223 on: June 24, 2010, 01:02:36 AM »
I think you need to look at Tattooed Monk again. It says number of tattoos in those abilities, not number of tattoos from Tattooed Monk. You can have 20 psionic tats.
At 9th level, that means you can have 26 tattoos (5 class+20 psionic+that Monk tattoo), meaning that you could give yourself +26 to your main stats once a day for 9 rounds. Which is insane, ignoring that other tattoo that lets you heal Wis modifier*class level as a move action. let's see, you should have a +3 modifier at least if you're a monk, and you can boost that to +16 as a move action. 144 points of healing ain't bad.
I said this in the other thread too but will repeat here. You are correct on the wording but aren't thinking broad enough. The effect for most is based on "tattoos you possess". That literally means they don't need to be on your skin only in your possession. I could kill a ship full of pirates skin them and put their tattoos in my pockets and have that many more tattoos count for the class.

No DM would ever allow that unless they were Miles Lane from Celebrity Death Match though. Just an interesting point to show though.
tattoos you possess
So looks like you need levels in FoP.
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

Rebel7284

• Grape ape
« Reply #224 on: June 29, 2010, 02:15:06 PM »
So looks like you need levels in FoP.

LMAO
Negative level on a chicken would make it a wight the next day.  Chicken the other wight meat. -borg286

Ivory Knight

• Curious George
« Reply #225 on: June 29, 2010, 05:43:39 PM »
If you count psionic tattoos, should a tattoo created with arcane spell also count(while it lasts, anyway)?
Also, IIRC there was a tattoo in Magic of Faerun, that worked like a Monk's Belt(was rather expensive, something around 70-80.000gold. Maybe, because it is slotless).

archangel.arcanis

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #226 on: June 30, 2010, 05:46:35 PM »
If you count psionic tattoos, should a tattoo created with arcane spell also count(while it lasts, anyway)?
Also, IIRC there was a tattoo in Magic of Faerun, that worked like a Monk's Belt(was rather expensive, something around 70-80.000gold. Maybe, because it is slotless).
Also consider the assassin spell that turns a weapon into a tattoo on your hand.
Clerics and Druids are like the 4 and 2 in 42. Together they are the answer to the ultimate question in D&D.
Retire the character before the DM smacks you with the Table as the book will feel totally inadequate now.-Hazren

carnivore

• Grape ape
« Reply #227 on: June 30, 2010, 06:16:06 PM »
what is the question about?

is it this part from the Class Abilities of a Tatooed Monk?

Tattoo (Su or Sp): Tattooed monks gain their powers from the magic tattoos that eventually cover their bodies. A 1stlevel tattooed monk has one tattoo and gains another tattoo at every odd-numbered level. A tattooed monk can choose his tattoos from among those described below. Note that three of the tattoos (centipede, crescent moon, and phoenix) have minimum class level requirements. All tattoos are magical, and the abilities they bestow are supernatural (except for the crescent moon). A tattooed monk in an antimagic fi eld loses all benefi ts of his tattoos. Unless the effect of a tattoo is continuous, activating a tattoo is a move action that does not provoke an attack of opportunity.

Solo

• Organ Grinder
  • Solo the Sorcelator, at your service
« Reply #228 on: June 30, 2010, 07:49:50 PM »
Thank you, carnivore, for not plugging a pixie.

"I am the Black Mage! I cast the spells that makes the peoples fall down!"

The Legend RPG, which I worked on and encourage you to read.

archangel.arcanis

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #229 on: June 30, 2010, 08:03:20 PM »
Tattoo (Su or Sp): Tattooed monks gain their powers from the magic tattoos that eventually cover their bodies. A 1stlevel tattooed monk has one tattoo and gains another tattoo at every odd-numbered level. A tattooed monk can choose his tattoos from among those described below. Note that three of the tattoos (centipede, crescent moon, and phoenix) have minimum class level requirements. All tattoos are magical, and the abilities they bestow are supernatural (except for the crescent moon). A tattooed monk in an antimagic fi eld loses all benefi ts of his tattoos. Unless the effect of a tattoo is continuous, activating a tattoo is a move action that does not provoke an attack of opportunity.

So does this make the guy at the tattoo shop around the corner an artificer?  ;) Ok now enough poking fun at the book and playing with highlighters.

No the more relevant part to the silly pirate ship comment was this one:
Bamboo: Once per day per tattoo he possess, a character...(it describes the ability)
It makes no mention of tattoos from this class or any limiting factor on what qualifies aside from it being a tattoo and that he (the character) possess it. This is repeated for several other tattoos the class offers. While i totally agree with your interpretation as being their probably intent, it isn't what they actually wrote. But as I said in the beginning it was a silly thought on how stupid RAW is at times.

awaken DM golem

• Organ Grinder
  • PAO'd my Avatar
« Reply #230 on: June 30, 2010, 09:27:21 PM »
Who says Carnivore hasn't plugged a Pixie ?

wait-a-minute ...  :embarrassed ... heh , bad aDMg bad.

carnivore

• Grape ape
« Reply #231 on: July 01, 2010, 02:15:10 PM »

So does this make the guy at the tattoo shop around the corner an artificer?  ;) Ok now enough poking fun at the book and playing with highlighters.

No the more relevant part to the silly pirate ship comment was this one:
Bamboo: Once per day per tattoo he possess, a character...(it describes the ability)
It makes no mention of tattoos from this class or any limiting factor on what qualifies aside from it being a tattoo and that he (the character) possess it. This is repeated for several other tattoos the class offers. While i totally agree with your interpretation as being their probably intent, it isn't what they actually wrote. But as I said in the beginning it was a silly thought on how stupid RAW is at times.

the Tatoos that are refered to are the ones listed in the entry for the PrC ..."A tattooed monk can choose his tattoos from among those described below".... "those described" in the entry are the only ones that have any meaning for the class abilities of the Tatooed Monk .... Tatoos from other sources have no effect on the Class abilites of the Tatooed Monk, nor on any of his Tatoos from this class ... any time Tatoos are referenced in the PrC entry, they refer to tatoos gained by this PrC that are listed in the PrC Entry

snakeman830

• Organ Grinder
  • BG's resident furry min/maxxer
« Reply #232 on: July 01, 2010, 05:34:53 PM »
Yes, that's RAI almost assuredly.  But it isn't what's actually written  :evillaugh
I am constantly amazed by how many DM's ban Tomb of Battle.  The book doesn't even exist!

Quotes:[spoiler]
By yes, she means no.
That explains so much about my life.
hiicantcomeupwithacharacterthatisntaghostwhyisthatamijustretardedorsomething
Why would you even do this? It hurts my eyes and looks like you ate your keyboard before suffering an attack of explosive diarrhea.
[/spoiler]

If using Genesis to hide your phylactry, set it at -300 degrees farenheit.  See how do-gooders fare with a liquid atmosphere.

carnivore

• Grape ape
« Reply #233 on: July 01, 2010, 06:33:06 PM »
what is written is this... word for word:

Tattoo (Su or Sp): Tattooed monks gain their powers from the magic tattoos that eventually cover their bodies. A 1st level tattooed monk has one tattoo and gains another tattoo at every odd-numbered level. A tattooed monk can choose his tattoos from among those described below. Note that three of the tattoos (centipede, crescent moon, and phoenix) have minimum class level requirements. All tattoos are magical, and the abilities they bestow are supernatural (except for the crescent moon). A tattooed monk in an antimagic fi eld loses all benefi ts of his tattoos. Unless the effect of a tattoo is continuous, activating a tattoo is a move action that does not provoke an attack of opportunity.

after the highlighted portion is read, everything that follows that statement that references Tatoos is in relation to the Tatoos that are listed in the entry .... there is no ambiguity, it is clear ..... the context of the entry provides the correct understanding

if you wanted to twist the meaning .... it could be infered that a Tatooed Monk could not have any other tatoos than are listed.... since it says "A 1st level tattooed monk has one tattoo and gains another tattoo at every odd-numbered level" .... this precludes gaining Tatoos from any source prior to entry into the PrC ..... since the Tatoos are from the ones he can "choose" which are "described below" ...there is no provision for gaining any from any source later if that is how you wanted to view it

Sobolev

• Donkey Kong
« Reply #234 on: July 01, 2010, 10:37:06 PM »

Tattoo (Su or Sp): Tattooed monks gain their powers from the magic tattoos that eventually cover their bodies. A 1st level tattooed monk has one tattoo and gains another tattoo at every odd-numbered level. A tattooed monk can choose his tattoos from among those described below. Note that three of the tattoos (centipede, crescent moon, and phoenix) have minimum class level requirements. All tattoos are magical, and the abilities they bestow are supernatural (except for the crescent moon). A tattooed monk in an antimagic fi eld loses all benefi ts of his tattoos. Unless the effect of a tattoo is continuous, activating a tattoo is a move action that does not provoke an attack of opportunity.

after the highlighted portion is read, everything that follows that statement that references Tatoos is in relation to the Tatoos that are listed in the entry .... there is no ambiguity, it is clear ..... the context of the entry provides the correct understanding

if you wanted to twist the meaning .... it could be infered that a Tatooed Monk could not have any other tatoos than are listed.... since it says "A 1st level tattooed monk has one tattoo and gains another tattoo at every odd-numbered level" .... this precludes gaining Tatoos from any source prior to entry into the PrC ..... since the Tatoos are from the ones he can "choose" which are "described below" ...there is no provision for gaining any from any source later if that is how you wanted to view it

As funny as the other interpretation is, I agree with this.  Conveniently forgetting the context of something in the middle is dishonest.
Sha'ir Handbook
Binder Handbook

Quote from: Negative Zero on November 04, 2009, 02:16:14 AM
In my humble opinion, CO is haberdashery. Some say we're mad, but we can all agree we're hatters. Yes, we have potential to make very sophisticated hats, very fancy hats, be they dark or light. But the truth is that the color of the hat does not come from the group of us - our community doesn't directly produce hats. We simply give average head circumferences, list current fashion trends, and point out some shiny, obscure baubles to add to the latest hat line.

wotmaniac

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Emperor's Enforcer
« Reply #235 on: July 01, 2010, 11:12:41 PM »

As funny as the other interpretation is, I agree with this.  Conveniently forgetting the context of something in the middle is dishonest.
+1 
(dishonest at best)

[spoiler]
If you stop ignoring 289 pages telling what the intent is to stretch "more power" in your own god complexion of your interpretation trumps all to cover ability adjustments from aging then I will ignore a quarter page of rules that exist within a sidebar.
I think in this case the grammar is less important than whether the Str and Dex bonus provided to your created undead scales.

Greenbound Summoning RAI
Expanded Gestalt
More Savage Progressions[/spoiler]
Report any wrongs I have done here.

lans

• King Kong
    • Email
« Reply #236 on: July 02, 2010, 01:51:39 AM »
Couldn't it also be interpreted as- A tattooed monk has access to the tatoos below, but their are also other tattoos out there?

Kind of like how a fighter can choose bonus feats from a specific list, but their are more feats than just fighter bonus feats.

Then just take a level wizard and tattoo spells to your ass and your all set.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2010, 01:53:54 AM by lans »
Skill prodigy from Kingdoms of Kalamar

Solo

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #237 on: July 12, 2010, 07:59:15 PM »
What are good tattoos?

carnivore

• Grape ape
« Reply #238 on: July 13, 2010, 05:36:27 PM »
my choices for a Tatooed monk ... would be these:

Chameleon: A character with this tattoo can use an alter self effect once per day per tattoo he possesses. This benefit lasts for 1 hour per class level.

Monkey: A character with this tattoo gains a +1 competence bonus per tattoo he possesses on all Balance, Climb, Escape Artist, Hide, Jump, Move Silently, Open Lock, Sleight of Hand, and Tumble checks.

Tortoise: Once per day per tattoo he possesses, a character with this tattoo can use his class level as the number of ranks in a skill he does not possess for the purpose of one skill check. For example, a 4th-level tattooed monk with two tattoos can make up to two Use Magic Device checks as if he had 4 ranks in that skill. He adds his Charisma modifier to the skill check as usual.

Wasp: Once per day per tattoo he possesses, a character with this tattoo can use haste on herself. The benefit lasts for 1 round per class level.

White Mask:

Solo

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #239 on: July 13, 2010, 05:41:11 PM »
There's the Shadow Walk 1/week one, which can be quite useful.