Author Topic: Monk's Handbook  (Read 280370 times)

NineInchNall

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
  • I am NOT a cat.
    • Email
Re: Monk's Handbook
« Reply #20 on: July 10, 2008, 08:23:16 PM »
 :smirk

Swordsage this and Swordsage that!

But srsly, didn't the sage make a ruling that the Monk and Swordsage Wis-to-AC bonuses stack?
« Last Edit: July 10, 2008, 08:25:45 PM by NineInchNall »

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #21 on: July 10, 2008, 08:42:31 PM »
:smirk

Swordsage this and Swordsage that!

But srsly, didn't the sage make a ruling that the Monk and Swordsage Wis-to-AC bonuses stack?
You're listening to the Sage now? I'm pretty sure it's the same class feature, which means the bonuses come from the same source, so it doesn't stack.
My work
The tier system in a nutshell:
[spoiler]Tier 6: A cartographer.
Tier 5: An expert cartographer or a decent marksman.
Tier 4: An expert marksman.
Tier 3: An expert marksman, cartographer and chef who can tie strong knots and is trained in hostage negotiation or a marksman so good he can shoot down every bullet fired by a minigun while armed with a rusted single-shot pistol that veers to the left.
Tier 2: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything, or the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.
Tier 1: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything and the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.[/spoiler]

AndyJames

• Organ Grinder
  • Meep?
« Reply #22 on: July 10, 2008, 08:49:06 PM »
It uses the same name, but it is not the same thing. One works only in no armour, the other works in both light or no armour.

The FAQ does explicitly state they do not stack though.

dman11235

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: July 10, 2008, 08:49:22 PM »
If so,  :wall

Yes, in FoE there is a monk/paladin hybrid PrC.  And it allows the monk to wear full plate.  Making it not a monk anymore.  Basically it's a paladin with wis to AC and slightly better than average unarmed damage.  I think it works better with monk/cleric, but I can't remember, I looked at it, what, a year ago or something.

I'm not assuming that everyone will have access to the PrCs here, but that doesn't change the fact that it is a better PrC (IMO).  Straight boosts to unarmed damage (monk 17/FotF 3 with a monk's belt has unarmed damage of 6d8, for instance, add in one size boost and it's 8d8.  It goes up from there.) and con to AC are amazing for monks, and that's why it's the best.  I will be changing the entry on Shou Disciple shortly.  But first I have cats who are very hungry.
My sig's Handy Haversack: Need help?  Want to see what I've done?  Want to see what others have done well?  Check it out.

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #24 on: July 11, 2008, 10:09:03 AM »
Even if Vow of Poverty is "a trap", how well would a VoP monk/totemist/fist of the forest work? (meldshaping classes use Con as their primary stat, and their abilities take up item slots).
My work
The tier system in a nutshell:
[spoiler]Tier 6: A cartographer.
Tier 5: An expert cartographer or a decent marksman.
Tier 4: An expert marksman.
Tier 3: An expert marksman, cartographer and chef who can tie strong knots and is trained in hostage negotiation or a marksman so good he can shoot down every bullet fired by a minigun while armed with a rusted single-shot pistol that veers to the left.
Tier 2: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything, or the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.
Tier 1: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything and the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.[/spoiler]

dman11235

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: July 11, 2008, 10:46:37 AM »
Incarnum and full casters are the only classes that can pull off VoPov well.  I'm pretty sure you could make it work.  I'm not familiar enough with Incarnum yet to judge though.  Especially the Totemist.  Mainly my use of Incarnum has been gestalting it (Incarnate) theoretically with something and using only defensive melds.

If someone is very familiar with it (SiFir) then go ahead and give it to me.
My sig's Handy Haversack: Need help?  Want to see what I've done?  Want to see what others have done well?  Check it out.

bayar

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: July 11, 2008, 07:00:16 PM »
Wasnt there a chaotic monk variant somewhere ? Remembered reading an old build that used it with some other psionic class. But cant find it for some reason

Chemus

• Donkey Kong
« Reply #27 on: July 11, 2008, 07:20:10 PM »
Chaos Monk is in a dragon mag. Details here.
*waves hand* This is not the sig you're looking for...
The freely downloadable and searchable 3.5 SRD I prefer (Web)
Camlen, Enniwey

katans

• All hail the Cheese!
« Reply #28 on: July 15, 2008, 06:38:19 AM »

Sacred Fist-CD:

Doesn't this have 8/10 casting?

AndyJames

• Organ Grinder
  • Meep?
« Reply #29 on: July 15, 2008, 07:36:44 AM »
Not according to the text, which supercedes table.

katans

• All hail the Cheese!
« Reply #30 on: July 15, 2008, 07:49:37 AM »
I thought that too, but then again, look at other prestige classes from CDiv with partial casting advancement, they're all formulated the same way. I doubt this was the author's intent.

Heliomance

• Email
« Reply #31 on: July 15, 2008, 09:29:20 AM »
Where on earth do you find the jermlaine? MMII doesn't have a character adjustment table for it, so no way to use it as anything other than a monster.

dman11235

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: July 15, 2008, 11:55:30 AM »
It has an LA, therefore it can be played.  Basically you take the odd abilities and subtract 11, take the evens and subtract 10, and those are your stat adjustments.  You get all the qualities of them as well.

JaronK

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #33 on: July 15, 2008, 06:41:03 PM »
Um, strike Lolth touched from the list of templates.  Monks can't be C/E!

Also, Mineral Warrior and Half Minotaur are on par with Saint for pure awesomeness as far as templates go.

JaronK

AndyJames

• Organ Grinder
  • Meep?
« Reply #34 on: July 15, 2008, 06:47:07 PM »
I thought that too, but then again, look at other prestige classes from CDiv with partial casting advancement, they're all formulated the same way. I doubt this was the author's intent.
Actually, it is. Rainbow Servant is a classic example. Someone thought as you did in the French edition (and it became 6/10 casting), but in the latest Portuguese one, the table is actually full casting as per text.

bayar

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
    • Email
« Reply #35 on: July 15, 2008, 06:57:48 PM »
Where on earth do you find the jermlaine? MMII doesn't have a character adjustment table for it, so no way to use it as anything other than a monster.

Jermlaine: -6 Str +6 Dex -2 Con -2 Int +6 Wis -6 Cha

Thank god for Google-fu. 

And it is LA 0.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2008, 06:59:19 PM by bayar »

dman11235

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #36 on: July 15, 2008, 07:06:42 PM »
They can if you ignore alignment restrictions, or if you adopt the template later (iirc it's acquired).  And it's possible for non-monk monks as well (USS, characters with SUS).  Like I said, it's a class, and a fighting style.  And a fighting style derived from a class.

JaronK

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #37 on: July 16, 2008, 01:47:09 AM »
Ah, I had missed that this was about the monk type, not the monk class.

Well, my favorite monkish build right now is this guy:

Monk 6/Shou Disciple 4/Unarmed Varient Swordsage 4/Master of Nine 5.  Offensively you're basically a Monk only far far better, and there's lots of very handy manuevers available to you (including Iron Heart Surge and, if you want it, White Raven Tactics, though honestly I don't think the latter fits the martial artist feel).

JaronK

dman11235

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #38 on: July 16, 2008, 02:11:29 AM »
Of course it can!  I mean, what's a martial artist?  Someone who studies the art of combat.  The entire freakin' path of White Raven is a gold mine for this.  Just not of the solo-type eastern affairs.  Heck, that entire book is a gold mine for martial artists.  Specifically Warblade and Crusader, with SS coming out behind in truly representing martial arts.  As a D&D term, then it comes out ahead by a bit.

Shadowhunter

• Hong Kong
« Reply #39 on: August 01, 2008, 09:57:55 PM »

*checks his version of the PHB*

except with
unarmed strikes
or natural weapon attacks), even though the
penalty on attack rolls still applies.....

Am I missing something here?
[Spoiler]
Quote from: Runestar
the most effective optimization is the one you can actually get away with.  :smirk

Quote from: Vinom
(A group of nerds are called a murder because like crows we are anti-social, like shiny things, and often squack at each other over nothing for hours)

I often have to remind people not to underrate divination.  The ability to effectively metagame without actually metagaming beats the ability to set things on fire more times than not.
[/quote]
[/spoiler]

Binder? You're Welcome

Zceryll makes Binders go from tier 3 to tier 2.
Cagemarrow is a Genius

Before giving the advice that build X would be better of with Fist of the Forest, take a long, good look at Primal Living. Twice.