Author Topic: Ask a Simple Question, Part 20: Return of the Dread Gazebo  (Read 187987 times)

Agita

• Organ Grinder
  • SFT is mai waifu.
Ask a Simple Question, Part 20: Return of the Dread Gazebo
« on: November 20, 2010, 04:58:57 PM »
Because I'll most certainly will miss the opportunity to create the next thread I vote that It'll be called "Return of the Dread Gazebo"
You're welcome.

Q 1

I shoot an arrow at the Gazebo. Does it hit?
It's all about vision and making reality conform to your vision. By dropping a fucking house on it.

Agita's Awesome Poster Compilation
Lycanthromancer's Awesome Poster Compilation

BeholderSlayer

• Hong Kong
Re: Ask a Simple Question, Part 20: Return of the Dread Gazebo
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2010, 05:05:43 PM »
A1: No.

Q2: The gazebo strikes and does gazebo damage. How much damage is it?
Hi Welcome
[spoiler]
Allow me to welcome you both with my literal words and with an active display of how much you fit in by being tone deaf, dumb, and uncritical of your babbling myself.[/spoiler]

betrayor

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2010, 05:08:31 PM »

A2:The fazebo deals a gazillion gazebo damage,if the creatures dies under the effects it rises the next night as a gazefied creature....

bearofsmiting

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2010, 05:18:42 PM »

A2:The fazebo deals a gazillion gazebo damage,if the creatures dies under the effects it rises the next night as a gazefied creature....

Oh, that totally needs to be a template.

Gazefied Creature
The monster before you appears to be made out of gaudy, victorian-styled wood with flaking white painting...
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming WOO HOO what a ride!

bearofsmiting

• Email
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2010, 05:25:08 PM »
Q3: In reference to the magic item Cloud Cloak http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/fw/20050311a are there any cloud-based spells other than solid fog and acid fog that impede movement?
« Last Edit: November 20, 2010, 05:27:11 PM by bearofsmiting »
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming WOO HOO what a ride!

Bastian

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2010, 05:28:31 PM »
Q3: In reference to the magic item Cloud Cloak (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/fw/20050311a); are there any cloud-based spells other than solid fog and acid fog that impede movement?
Someone failed their make a working link check... :D

Here's one that does work.

Sobolev

• Donkey Kong
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2010, 06:27:35 PM »
Q311: How do I qualify for a Raptoran only prestige class without being a Raptoran >_>

If you look at the example raptoran on page 83 of Races of the Wild, you notice that his size and type is listed as "Medium humanoid (raptoran)." This indicates that raptorans have the type "humanoid" and the subtype "raptoran." If you look at Savage Species in the section on Minor Rituals on page 148 you find the Ritual of Association. The only requirement for this ritual is that you can not use it to acquire the subtype of one of the common races of human, dwarf, elf, gnome, or halfling. So, simply use the ritual to gain the raptoran subtype.

The best thing about this ritual is that it doesn't cost a level adjustment. However, it still isn't cheap compared to other purchases; 56,000 gp and 2,240 XP.

Q4: Still need flight extraordinary ability, thoughts on how to get that?
Sha'ir Handbook
Binder Handbook

Quote from: Negative Zero on November 04, 2009, 02:16:14 AM
In my humble opinion, CO is haberdashery. Some say we're mad, but we can all agree we're hatters. Yes, we have potential to make very sophisticated hats, very fancy hats, be they dark or light. But the truth is that the color of the hat does not come from the group of us - our community doesn't directly produce hats. We simply give average head circumferences, list current fashion trends, and point out some shiny, obscure baubles to add to the latest hat line.

betrayor

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2010, 06:34:41 PM »
Q311: How do I qualify for a Raptoran only prestige class without being a Raptoran >_>

If you look at the example raptoran on page 83 of Races of the Wild, you notice that his size and type is listed as "Medium humanoid (raptoran)." This indicates that raptorans have the type "humanoid" and the subtype "raptoran." If you look at Savage Species in the section on Minor Rituals on page 148 you find the Ritual of Association. The only requirement for this ritual is that you can not use it to acquire the subtype of one of the common races of human, dwarf, elf, gnome, or halfling. So, simply use the ritual to gain the raptoran subtype.

The best thing about this ritual is that it doesn't cost a level adjustment. However, it still isn't cheap compared to other purchases; 56,000 gp and 2,240 XP.

Being a dragonborn with wing aspect would be one way.....

Sobolev

• Donkey Kong
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2010, 06:43:35 PM »

Being a dragonborn with wing aspect would be one way.....

Q5: Are the wings granted by Unseelie Fey Extraordinary? =D
Also, man does that template involve a lot of rolling.
Sha'ir Handbook
Binder Handbook

Quote from: Negative Zero on November 04, 2009, 02:16:14 AM
In my humble opinion, CO is haberdashery. Some say we're mad, but we can all agree we're hatters. Yes, we have potential to make very sophisticated hats, very fancy hats, be they dark or light. But the truth is that the color of the hat does not come from the group of us - our community doesn't directly produce hats. We simply give average head circumferences, list current fashion trends, and point out some shiny, obscure baubles to add to the latest hat line.

geniussavant

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2010, 06:49:49 PM »
Q6: are there any spider-like creature that have a decent(low) enough LA to be used as a player character?
[spoiler]
I see that you want to solve problems. Not problems like, "What is beauty?," because that would fall within the purview of your conundrums of 'philosophy'. You want to solve practical problems. F'r instance, how are you gonna stop some big, mean Mother Hubbard from tearing you a structurally superfluous new behind? The answer: Use a gun. And if that don't work? Use more gun.
And if that fails try this

[/spoiler]

Midnight_v

• Organ Grinder
  • Dulce et decorum est pro alea mori.
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2010, 06:59:25 PM »
Okay what the fuck is a "Dread Gazebo"... (Midnight_v asks... slowly starting to hate himself for asking)
Q6: are there any spider-like creature that have a deecent enough LA to be used as a player character?
A: spider-like? Hengeyokai: Crab LA: 1
\\\"Disentegrate.\\\" \\\"Gust of wind.\\\" \\\"Now Can we PLEASE resume saving the world?\\\"

snakeman830

• Organ Grinder
  • BG's resident furry min/maxxer
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2010, 07:08:03 PM »
Q6: are there any spider-like creature that have a decent(low) enough LA to be used as a player character?
Hairy Spider.  LA+0 IIRC, and mindless  :lol
I am constantly amazed by how many DM's ban Tomb of Battle.  The book doesn't even exist!

Quotes:[spoiler]
By yes, she means no.
That explains so much about my life.
hiicantcomeupwithacharacterthatisntaghostwhyisthatamijustretardedorsomething
Why would you even do this? It hurts my eyes and looks like you ate your keyboard before suffering an attack of explosive diarrhea.
[/spoiler]

If using Genesis to hide your phylactry, set it at -300 degrees farenheit.  See how do-gooders fare with a liquid atmosphere.

Midnight_v

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2010, 07:08:53 PM »
Hmm... I guess if you awakened it?  :(
\\\"Disentegrate.\\\" \\\"Gust of wind.\\\" \\\"Now Can we PLEASE resume saving the world?\\\"

geniussavant

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2010, 07:14:29 PM »
spiders are vermin, awaken only works on animals and trees
[spoiler]
I see that you want to solve problems. Not problems like, "What is beauty?," because that would fall within the purview of your conundrums of 'philosophy'. You want to solve practical problems. F'r instance, how are you gonna stop some big, mean Mother Hubbard from tearing you a structurally superfluous new behind? The answer: Use a gun. And if that don't work? Use more gun.
And if that fails try this

[/spoiler]

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2010, 07:44:24 PM »
You're still allowed to take class levels (player characters can always take class levels, regardless of whether or not their race normally could).  Sure, you have an int of -- (so don't get normal feats/skills), and a racial -8 to charisma, but being a druid isn't beyond your capability.  Plus, there's a druid spell from faiths of eberron that temporarily gives you the celestial or fiendish template, which would give you an intelligence score.  And thus let you choose your entire feat progression spontaneously.
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

Havok4

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • It can only be attributable to human error.
« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2010, 08:09:48 PM »
Okay what the fuck is a "Dread Gazebo"... (Midnight_v asks... slowly starting to hate himself for asking)
Q6: are there any spider-like creature that have a deecent enough LA to be used as a player character?
A: spider-like? Hengeyokai: Crab LA: 1

Actually LA 0 if you use the 3.5 update, the primary reason being the change in type to humanoid(shapechanger)

Midnight_v

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2010, 08:16:22 PM »
You're still allowed to take class levels (player characters can always take class levels, regardless of whether or not their race normally could).  Sure, you have an int of -- (so don't get normal feats/skills), and a racial -8 to charisma, but being a druid isn't beyond your capability.  Plus, there's a druid spell from faiths of eberron that temporarily gives you the celestial or fiendish template, which would give you an intelligence score.  And thus let you choose your entire feat progression spontaneously.
:clap
Nice.

bearofsmiting

• Email
« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2010, 08:25:48 PM »
The Dread Gazebo is a humorous anecdote that I think first appeared in Bride of the Portable Hole, though it can be found easily enough by searching.

A6: Ok, so back to sanity on this question; how exactly does a non-intelligent creature even decide to adventure, let alone choose a class? I'm not sure what is meant by "decent (low) enough LA," but I'm guessing an LA +2 will work. Take a tiny or small monstrous spider (1 HD) from page 288 of the MM, give it the monstrous beast template from page 123 of Savage Species which will change its type from "vermin" to "magical beast" along with giving it a few other cool abilities, then cast the spell Awaken Magical Beast on it from DragMag 314 page 38.

You now have a playable spider with 1 level in whatever at an ECL of 3 and he's got a few cool abilities to boot.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2010, 08:28:30 PM by bearofsmiting »

Talore

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
  • Viking Skald
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2010, 08:31:35 PM »
Q7: Is there a quick answer on how not to die for a level 16 arcane caster? Apparently the DM likes to go for the throat.
Backseat moderator (voice) -_-

bearofsmiting

• Email
« Reply #19 on: November 20, 2010, 08:44:48 PM »
A5: I don't know what is being referenced for the requirements of this build (flight extraordinary ability), but I think most would agree that as long as the flight isn't provided by a power, spell, or item, it's an extraordinary ability. Not all abilities list what kind they are (have a (Sp), (Su), or (Ex) after the name) but nonetheless fall in one of these categories, a number of feats and class features are like this. Dragonborn would be one way to get non-magical flight, but if you don't want to change your race, you could also consider my personal favorite means of acquiring flight because you can get perfect maneuverability, the winged template from page 138 of SS. Grafts would also qualify, because though they count as treasure and require magic in their creation, after their creation they are not actually magical; I would take a look at a clockwork creation from Dragon 315 page 46, Zelekhut Wings.