Author Topic: Ask a Simple Question, Part 20: Return of the Dread Gazebo  (Read 187714 times)

Ithamar

• Hong Kong
  • PM me if you're interested in some Arena action!
Re: Ask a Simple Question, Part 20: Return of the Dread Gazebo
« Reply #660 on: December 10, 2010, 08:10:40 PM »
Ventriloquism work for you?
Are you worthy of Ascension?
Always accepting gladiators!  Now with a new and improved rule set!

Rebel7284

• Grape ape
« Reply #661 on: December 10, 2010, 08:12:33 PM »
Q205
Spells with casting times of 1 full-round action can be quickened via quickened spell, correct?

Yes, but RAW 1 round > 1 full round action even though technically they take the same amount or real world time.
Negative level on a chicken would make it a wight the next day.  Chicken the other wight meat. -borg286

Catty Nebulart

• Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #662 on: December 10, 2010, 08:19:51 PM »
Q208
what ways are there to gain extra swift actions aside from RKV?
Preferably psionic-compatible.
E: "Did they... did they just endorse the combination of the JSDF and US Army by showing them as two lesbian lolicons moving in together and holding hands and talking about how 'intimate' they were?"
B: "Have you forgotten so soon? They're phasing out Don't Ask, Don't Tell."

TC X0 Lt 0X

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
« Reply #663 on: December 10, 2010, 08:33:27 PM »
Q205
Spells with casting times of 1 full-round action can be quickened via quickened spell, correct?

Yes, but RAW 1 round > 1 full round action even though technically they take the same amount or real world time.

Very Aware, it's just that I've decided to invest in Rapid Metamagic/Spell so I am looking into Quicken Spell as well.
"Never beg, you earn, by winning,
or else you won't get anything..."

Maat_Mons

• Hong Kong
  • What is a smile but a grimace of happiness?
Re: 202
« Reply #664 on: December 10, 2010, 11:07:05 PM »
Q 202: I'd like to play a psy-gish. The build is Monk 1/Spell-to-Power Erudite 3/Archivist 3/Cerebramancer 10/x3.  I plan on using Carmendine for Int synergy and Tashalatora to continue Flurry.  But my BAB by level 20 will be, like, 9!
What can I do (besides Divine Power at ECL 11) to help me actually hit stuff?

Kuroimaken

• Organ Grinder
Re: 202
« Reply #665 on: December 11, 2010, 12:38:23 AM »
Q 202: I'd like to play a psy-gish. The build is Monk 1/Spell-to-Power Erudite 3/Archivist 3/Cerebramancer 10/x3.  I plan on using Carmendine for Int synergy and Tashalatora to continue Flurry.  But my BAB by level 20 will be, like, 9!
What can I do (besides Divine Power at ECL 11) to help me actually hit stuff?

If you use the decisive strike variant instead of flurry, good ol' Deep Impact will let you hit as though it were a touch attack. Flat-footedness with that also helps, as does pumping your STR up the wazoo (which shouldn't be too difficult, really).
Gendou Ikari is basically Gregory House in Kaminashades. This is FACT.

For proof, look here:

http://www.layoutjelly.com/image_27/gendo_ikari/

[SPOILER]
Which Final Fantasy Character Are You?
Final Fantasy 7
My Unitarian Jihad Name is: Brother Katana of Enlightenment.
Get yours.[/SPOILER]

I HAVE BROKEN THE 69 INTERNETS BARRIER!

Gilfanon

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #666 on: December 11, 2010, 01:27:25 AM »
Q209: Other than the psychic theurge, is there another duel psionic/divine progression class? You know, one with class features?

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #667 on: December 11, 2010, 02:51:48 AM »
I suppose, but why?
More curiosity than anything else.
Take a math course ;)
:p That wouldn't have helped. The part where you said "You can't ever get more than one attack from the gore" was what I was looking for.
Take a MM course, then :P
Might want to check out haste before casting stones.  :p Especially if your Gore is your main attack.

Anyways, bumping again.

Q 178 Where can I find magic items/gear for mounts? Anyone got a handbook? Preferably horses. And I do mean a full list that's meant just for them. Armor and all. I've seen the ones in MIC, DMG, and SS.

Q 182 Are there any templates to add to a golem that can't be advanced anymore? In particular, add-ons to help give a golem something that WotC forgot to give it? Like spikes, or natural attacks, or a gore attack. I'm referring to the rune golem, which attacks with a basic medium-sized spear (not even a masterwork one), despite the fact that it has tusks and antlers, and has spines all over its body, and is LARGE size. Bravo WotC.

Q 183 If I add two domains and their spells to a creature that don't help it in combat, is that +1 CR each, or just +1 CR?

Q 184 If I use a +1 flaming/frost/shocking/dessicating/holy arrow with a +5 transmuting collision longbow, against a flesh golem, what happens to that arrow come round 2?
I reject your reality, and substitute my own.

When God gives you lemons... it's time to find a new God.

Like D&D Freakouts? Check out this 4th Ed one.

AndyJames

• Organ Grinder
  • Meep?
« Reply #668 on: December 11, 2010, 03:20:41 AM »
Might want to check out haste before casting stones.  :p Especially if your Gore is your main attack.
Natural weapons are always SECONDARY attacks when using a manufactured weapon. So haste doesn't give it another attack :)

Hasting a creature with only natural attacks makes it possible, but that isn't an interative attack, so you still lose :P

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #669 on: December 11, 2010, 03:22:52 AM »
Natural weapons are always SECONDARY attacks when using a manufactured weapon. So haste doesn't give it another attack :)

Hasting a creature with only natural attacks makes it possible, but that isn't an interative attack, so you still lose :P
In my mind I still win. I just drop the spear, and all is well. And considering it's a plain spear with no magic added, it's pointless to have it anyways. I win. Don't know why the creature is built that way, but who wants to get into the heads of the WotC? Such an unclean place.

AndyJames

• Organ Grinder
  • Meep?
« Reply #670 on: December 11, 2010, 03:28:06 AM »
In my mind I still win. I just drop the spear, and all is well. And considering it's a plain spear with no magic added, it's pointless to have it anyways. I win. Don't know why the creature is built that way, but who wants to get into the heads of the WotC? Such an unclean place.
Depends on your strength and your BAB. The spear might do more damage because of the iteratives than the gore under certain circumstances.

As for WotC people, the whole organisation is borked. I won't buy a single thing from them if I can help it. Hope they rot. Same with Wizkids that organisation of miscreants that destroyed Battletech/Mechwarrior.

Epimetheus

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #671 on: December 11, 2010, 03:43:39 AM »
Q 209 Who buys the WoTC books?

More seriously then,
Q 210 Is it ever worthwhile to use a full round action to recover White Raven Tactics? (playing a swordsage, with its sad recovery mechanic)

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #672 on: December 11, 2010, 03:55:07 AM »
Q 209 Who buys the WoTC books?

More seriously then,
Q 210 Is it ever worthwhile to use a full round action to recover White Raven Tactics? (playing a swordsage, with its sad recovery mechanic)
You'd be surprised at the number of people who just love the feel of the book in their hands.

And yes, it's very worthwhile if you're near the person that you can make go again, and they're awesome. Like someone with 10 natural attacks, wraithstrike, and the pounce ability.

X-Codes

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #673 on: December 11, 2010, 03:56:26 AM »
A210: Rarely.  Swordsage recovery mechanic is totally worthless.  You should split your maneuvers into about half strikes and half boosts/counters and just deal with using each of them once per encounter.  There's a feat that allows you to recover all your maneuvers (from all classes) as a full-round action, and picking it up (and multiclassing) are generally mandatory for top-tier Swordsage builds, more because it helps out in the event of shit hitting the proverbial fan and you finding yourself without maneuvers.

dantheman

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #674 on: December 11, 2010, 05:31:07 AM »
Q 121 Is there a material out there that adds to the base crit range of a weapon?

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #675 on: December 11, 2010, 05:41:58 AM »
Q 121 Is there a material out there that adds to the base crit range of a weapon?
Kyton resin.
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

Maat_Mons

• Hong Kong
  • What is a smile but a grimace of happiness?
« Reply #676 on: December 11, 2010, 06:30:31 AM »
Are you talking about kaorti resin?  That changes the critical multiplier to *4, but doesn't modify the threat range.  I don't know of any material that modifies the threat range, but abyssal bloodiron (Planar Handbook 69) and solarian truesteel (Book of Exalted Deeds 38) both give bonus to the roll to confirm a critical hit, the former +4 and the latter +1. 

This is a pretty good list of special materials. 

GawainBS

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #677 on: December 11, 2010, 08:22:12 AM »

As for WotC people, the whole organisation is borked. I won't buy a single thing from them if I can help it. Hope they rot. Same with Wizkids that organisation of miscreants that destroyed Battletech/Mechwarrior.

I hear ya! Stupid Dark Age...

AndyJames

• Organ Grinder
  • Meep?
« Reply #678 on: December 11, 2010, 08:51:53 AM »

I hear ya! Stupid Dark Age...
Dark Age can kiss my Devastator IIC. I'd take that one 'Mech up against an entire Dark Age regiment with their stupid CHAINSAWS with more than a reasonable chance of winning. And the way they just made all the old characters drop dead just like that...! Bastards.

GawainBS

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #679 on: December 11, 2010, 10:56:16 AM »
Yeah, they gutted the soul of Battletech and turned it into some run-off-the-mill bland mecha game.