Author Topic: Ask a Simple Question, Part 20: Return of the Dread Gazebo  (Read 187995 times)

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
Re: Ask a Simple Question, Part 20: Return of the Dread Gazebo
« Reply #440 on: December 04, 2010, 12:09:08 PM »
A150
If you ever plan on leaving factotum for any reason (multiclassing, PrC, etc.), then you probably want to take Able Learner.
You need to be a human, changeling, or doppleganger to take that though. I won't be any of those.
I reject your reality, and substitute my own.

When God gives you lemons... it's time to find a new God.

Like D&D Freakouts? Check out this 4th Ed one.

jolt

• Domesticated Capuchin Monkey
« Reply #441 on: December 04, 2010, 12:21:40 PM »
A155: There's a table in Savage Species about which type takes over. Undead wins over Outsider. Plus, I don't think you qualify for it, anyway.
As a Star Elf, I do. Augmented subtype in srd says you would just be Outsider (Augmented Undead, Augmented Humanoid, Incorporeal).

CantripN

• Hong Kong
  • Constantly talking isn't necessarily communicating
    • Cantrip, Gestalt Gish
« Reply #442 on: December 04, 2010, 12:26:31 PM »
A155: There's a table in Savage Species about which type takes over. Undead wins over Outsider. Plus, I don't think you qualify for it, anyway.
As a Star Elf, I do. Augmented subtype in srd says you would just be Outsider (Augmented Undead, Augmented Humanoid, Incorporeal).

Again, look at Savage Species. You can't make an Undead into an Outsider.
Read, every day, something no one else is reading. Think, every day, something no one else is thinking. Do, every day, something no one else would be silly enough to do. It is bad for the mind to be always part of unanimity.

AndyJames

• Organ Grinder
  • Meep?
« Reply #443 on: December 04, 2010, 12:33:02 PM »
No. You'd be Undead (augmented Outsider, Incorporeal).

However, once you take the feat, you can no longer be the target of the template as you have become Outsider (native). Since you have to take the feat at level 1, and Ghost is an acquired template that comes after you die, I would say that the feat has precedence.

It is an invalid combination.

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #444 on: December 04, 2010, 12:44:11 PM »
Bump
Q 146 The Phantom in MMV has a vulnerability to ghost touch weapons at +50%. Is there a way around that, or a way to lower that?

And

Q 150 What'd be a good feat (other than Able Learner and Font of Inspiration) to take at 1st level for a Factotum? I read the handbook, but it doesn't really say "take this at 1st" anywhere.

snakeman830

• Organ Grinder
  • BG's resident furry min/maxxer
« Reply #445 on: December 04, 2010, 01:20:20 PM »
kevin, if nobody answers after a bump, chances are there isnt an answer.  There is no way to avoid the Ghost Touch vulnerability, but how many people actually put Ghost Touch on their weapons?  Remember, they need to specifically have that quality.  Being sheathed in Force, under the effects of a spell, or using a Truedeath Augment crystal doesn't cut it.  Some method of all of these are either cheaper or flat-out better than actually using Ghost Touch.
I am constantly amazed by how many DM's ban Tomb of Battle.  The book doesn't even exist!

Quotes:[spoiler]
By yes, she means no.
That explains so much about my life.
hiicantcomeupwithacharacterthatisntaghostwhyisthatamijustretardedorsomething
Why would you even do this? It hurts my eyes and looks like you ate your keyboard before suffering an attack of explosive diarrhea.
[/spoiler]

If using Genesis to hide your phylactry, set it at -300 degrees farenheit.  See how do-gooders fare with a liquid atmosphere.

Havok4

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • It can only be attributable to human error.
« Reply #446 on: December 04, 2010, 01:21:03 PM »

Q 150 What'd be a good feat (other than Able Learner and Font of Inspiration) to take at 1st level for a Factotum? I read the handbook, but it doesn't really say "take this at 1st" anywhere.

A150: Keen intellect from the oriental adventures update is nice, it adds int to will saves and a few skills instead of wisdom, master of poisons(DotU) or darkstalker are also good choices.

weenog

• Grape ape
« Reply #447 on: December 04, 2010, 01:38:05 PM »
I thought Improved Initiative was the default "I'm out of feat ideas and don't want my uninspired feat choice to be a waste" feat.
"We managed to make an NPC puke an undead monster."
"That sounds like a victory to me."

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #448 on: December 04, 2010, 01:39:49 PM »
kevin, if nobody answers after a bump, chances are there isnt an answer.  There is no way to avoid the Ghost Touch vulnerability, but how many people actually put Ghost Touch on their weapons?  Remember, they need to specifically have that quality.  Being sheathed in Force, under the effects of a spell, or using a Truedeath Augment crystal doesn't cut it.  Some method of all of these are either cheaper or flat-out better than actually using Ghost Touch.
Ah. Okay, I'm good with that answer.

@Havok4 -- I'll have to look up that update. That sounds pretty good.

betrayor

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #449 on: December 04, 2010, 02:25:45 PM »
A150:Maybe some of the first level only feats could be a good choice......
Especially regional feats from FR but these may not be allowed in your game......

Rebel7284

• Grape ape
« Reply #450 on: December 04, 2010, 02:42:16 PM »

Darkstalker perhaps?  What's wrong with the default Font of Inspiration choice?
Negative level on a chicken would make it a wight the next day.  Chicken the other wight meat. -borg286

betrayor

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #451 on: December 04, 2010, 04:38:55 PM »
Q151:If I Qualify for master of unseen hand as a Githyanki can I then use a ring of telekinesis to benefit from the prestige class?

Sobolev

• Donkey Kong
« Reply #452 on: December 04, 2010, 05:45:46 PM »
Q/A141:  OK, I read Squire of Legend, but I'm not seeing how it lets you use your racial abilities more frequently.  Did I miss something?

Lesser Squire's Burden: Reikhardt allows you to grant someone an extra Su or Ex ability use, once per day.

Q150: If an ability lets you do something to your Ally, are you Allies with yourself?  What if you used the Psionic power that gives you two minds?
Q151: Assuming the answer to that is no, what are some ways other than Squire of Legend to get additional uses out of the Synad's racial Multitask?  I know of Improved Multitask (or whatever the feat is from the same book) already.
Q152: Multitask only seems to grant you a swift action, and that has to be a mental only swift action.  Not quite the quicken that was advertised.  What are some good uses for a Swift Mental Only action?

Mega bump.
Sha'ir Handbook
Binder Handbook

Quote from: Negative Zero on November 04, 2009, 02:16:14 AM
In my humble opinion, CO is haberdashery. Some say we're mad, but we can all agree we're hatters. Yes, we have potential to make very sophisticated hats, very fancy hats, be they dark or light. But the truth is that the color of the hat does not come from the group of us - our community doesn't directly produce hats. We simply give average head circumferences, list current fashion trends, and point out some shiny, obscure baubles to add to the latest hat line.

wotmaniac

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Emperor's Enforcer
« Reply #453 on: December 04, 2010, 06:09:21 PM »
A150
as per PHB glossary, yes .... unless said ability states otherwise.

[spoiler]
If you stop ignoring 289 pages telling what the intent is to stretch "more power" in your own god complexion of your interpretation trumps all to cover ability adjustments from aging then I will ignore a quarter page of rules that exist within a sidebar.
I think in this case the grammar is less important than whether the Str and Dex bonus provided to your created undead scales.

Greenbound Summoning RAI
Expanded Gestalt
More Savage Progressions[/spoiler]
Report any wrongs I have done here.

Maat_Mons

• Hong Kong
  • What is a smile but a grimace of happiness?
« Reply #454 on: December 04, 2010, 08:38:44 PM »
Q 152: Here's the text of heartstone, from the night hag entry in the Monster Manual:

How much benefit can I get from the emulate race option of use magic device with this item? 

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #455 on: December 04, 2010, 09:05:51 PM »

Again, look at Savage Species. You can't make an Undead into an Outsider.
1) Latest printing applies.  That'd be the 3.5 monster manual.
2) Core trumps noncore.  That'd be the 3.5 monster manual
3) Specific overrides general.  That'd be the otherworldly feat
4) The type pyramid only applies to templates, not to feats.

No. You'd be Undead (augmented Outsider, Incorporeal).

However, once you take the feat, you can no longer be the target of the template as you have become Outsider (native). Since you have to take the feat at level 1, and Ghost is an acquired template that comes after you die, I would say that the feat has precedence.

It is an invalid combination.
Character creation steps (from the phb).

1)CHECK WITH YOUR DUNGEON MASTER

2)ROLL ABILITY SCORES

3)CHOOSE YOUR CLASS AND RACE

4)ASSIGN AND ADJUST ABILITY SCORES

5)REVIEW THE STARTING PACKAGE

6)RECORD RACIAL AND CLASS FEATURES

7)SELECT SKILLS

8)SELECT A FEAT  
So I select my race as ghost in step 3, and then later on, in step 8, I select my feat to be otherworldly.  Completely valid.  If you want to do it after your first class level you'll need a psiref or retraining or something, but totally doable.

In addition, if you have RHD, you can take regional feats at 3hd rather than at your first hd.

The main reason I like otherworldy on ghost is that your rejuvenation can no longer be overcome by anything, and you now don't have to worry about turning or whatever.  You also retain immunities to fort saves, ability damage, ability drain, and energy drain, and most of the nastiest anti-incorporeal stuff is targeted against undead.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2010, 09:11:01 PM by The_Mad_Linguist »
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

X-Codes

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #456 on: December 04, 2010, 09:09:49 PM »
In this case, I believe it will work only with the actual template (not so awesome), not with the savage progression (significantly better), since you can't take the savage progression at level 1.

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #457 on: December 04, 2010, 09:16:26 PM »
Eh, it's arguable.  I could make a decent case for ghost1/whatever 1 either way, but that's not really simple anymore.
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

CantripN

• Hong Kong
  • Constantly talking isn't necessarily communicating
    • Cantrip, Gestalt Gish
« Reply #458 on: December 04, 2010, 09:32:20 PM »
You race isn't Ghost, though. You start play as something alive, and then die. You were born an Outsider, because of the feat. A Ghost of an Outsider is non-existent, but even if it were legal, it's Undead.
Read, every day, something no one else is reading. Think, every day, something no one else is thinking. Do, every day, something no one else would be silly enough to do. It is bad for the mind to be always part of unanimity.

betrayor

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #459 on: December 04, 2010, 09:34:05 PM »
You race isn't Ghost, though. You start play as something alive, and then die. You were born an Outsider, because of the feat. A Ghost of an Outsider is non-existent, but even if it were legal, it's Undead.

Yes,that is common sense.....
But rulewise I think that they are right......