Author Topic: Ask a Simple Question, Part 20: Return of the Dread Gazebo  (Read 187989 times)

KellKheraptis

• Organ Grinder
  • What's the matter? I thought you had me...
    • Email
Re: Ask a Simple Question, Part 20: Return of the Dread Gazebo
« Reply #160 on: November 26, 2010, 05:10:53 PM »
Q62: I seem to remember some feat, flaw or trait that makes the character unable to Run because he's too fat. I thought it was the Obese vile deformity feat, but looking it up, it doesn't seem to have that clause. What am I thinking of?

Was this the flaw Corpulent?
BG's Resident Black Hatter
The Mango List Reborn!
My Warmage Trickery (coming soon!)
My PrC Pally Trickery (coming soon!)
The D&D Archive
-Work in progress!

Emo_Duck

• Domesticated Capuchin Monkey
« Reply #161 on: November 26, 2010, 05:40:03 PM »
Q62: I seem to remember some feat, flaw or trait that makes the character unable to Run because he's too fat. I thought it was the Obese vile deformity feat, but looking it up, it doesn't seem to have that clause. What am I thinking of?
Was this the flaw Corpulent?

I've come to the conclusion that I was actually thinking of a mutation in Dark Heresy. But if this flaw has been typed up somewhere, I'd love to read it and use it in an upcoming character.

Q67: If a Large creature with 10 foot reach, without Improved Grapple, tries to grapple a Medium creature with 5 foot reach, how does that affect the attack of opportunity that the Medium creature is entitled to? My common sense tingles and tells me that the Medium guy still gets to make the AoO, since the Large guy is all up in his face and grabbing him, but game rules don't always work like that.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2010, 06:38:48 PM by Emo_Duck »

betrayor

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #162 on: November 26, 2010, 06:43:26 PM »
Q68:Would an Ur-Priest work at all in a Realms game?
Because of the every divine caster must follow a deity clause?

KellKheraptis

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #163 on: November 26, 2010, 06:46:20 PM »

I'm a major proponent of the Adaptation section of Ur-priests, stating the class also works for followers of dead gods.  Cases in point, Mystral or Waukeen :)
The Mango List Reborn!
The D&D Archive
-Work in progress!

X-Codes

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #164 on: November 26, 2010, 08:00:35 PM »

I'm a major proponent of the Adaptation section of Ur-priests, stating the class also works for followers of dead gods.  Cases in point, Mystral or Waukeen :)

Nevermind that you can still be the divine asshat in the realms, and not follow any god whatsoever, but the only problem with that is that you would have to not die EVER, else your soul will be lost.

In every campaign, Ur-Priests are the exception to the following deity/ideals rules.

LunaticsLament

• Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #165 on: November 26, 2010, 08:07:32 PM »

Kell, I highly agree.  In fact, I honestly believe that the adaption section has better fluff value than the original in many ways.
"The capacity of the human mind for swallowing nonsense and spewing it forth in violent and repressive action has never yet been plumbed. "
~Robert Heinlein

KellKheraptis

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #166 on: November 26, 2010, 08:15:14 PM »

Nevermind that you can still be the divine asshat in the realms, and not follow any god whatsoever, but the only problem with that is that you would have to not die EVER, else your soul will be lost.

In every campaign, Ur-Priests are the exception to the following deity/ideals rules.

Actually if you are an Ur of the two I mentioned, either Mystra or Tymora would intercede, as they took over the respective portfolios (Tymora just to watch over it and grant spells, Mystra because Mystral inhabited the mortal Midnight).
The Mango List Reborn!
The D&D Archive
-Work in progress!

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #167 on: November 26, 2010, 08:58:39 PM »

I'm a major proponent of builds relying upon the Adaptation section being a subset of homebrew.
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

Sobolev

• Donkey Kong
« Reply #168 on: November 26, 2010, 10:38:19 PM »

I'm a major proponent of builds relying upon the Adaptation section being a subset of homebrew.

I agree with things like Ruby Knight Vindicator adaptation, in order to change requirements of classes, but with the Ur-Priest it seems basically completely flavor based.
Sha'ir Handbook
Binder Handbook

Quote from: Negative Zero on November 04, 2009, 02:16:14 AM
In my humble opinion, CO is haberdashery. Some say we're mad, but we can all agree we're hatters. Yes, we have potential to make very sophisticated hats, very fancy hats, be they dark or light. But the truth is that the color of the hat does not come from the group of us - our community doesn't directly produce hats. We simply give average head circumferences, list current fashion trends, and point out some shiny, obscure baubles to add to the latest hat line.

weenog

• Grape ape
« Reply #169 on: November 26, 2010, 11:14:35 PM »
Q 69: Where can I find a list of which and how many body slots (for magic items) true dragons have?
"We managed to make an NPC puke an undead monster."
"That sounds like a victory to me."

snakeman830

• Organ Grinder
  • BG's resident furry min/maxxer
« Reply #170 on: November 26, 2010, 11:21:46 PM »
Q 69: Where can I find a list of which and how many body slots (for magic items) true dragons have?
Same as humans have.  Draconomicon, DMG, MIC, and MoI all agree on this.
I am constantly amazed by how many DM's ban Tomb of Battle.  The book doesn't even exist!

Quotes:[spoiler]
By yes, she means no.
That explains so much about my life.
hiicantcomeupwithacharacterthatisntaghostwhyisthatamijustretardedorsomething
Why would you even do this? It hurts my eyes and looks like you ate your keyboard before suffering an attack of explosive diarrhea.
[/spoiler]

If using Genesis to hide your phylactry, set it at -300 degrees farenheit.  See how do-gooders fare with a liquid atmosphere.

weenog

• Grape ape
« Reply #171 on: November 26, 2010, 11:23:33 PM »
Could've sworn I read somewhere that dragons aren't considered to have hands, among possible other differences.
"We managed to make an NPC puke an undead monster."
"That sounds like a victory to me."

snakeman830

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #172 on: November 26, 2010, 11:28:40 PM »
Could've sworn I read somewhere that dragons aren't considered to have hands, among possible other differences.
Definitely not the case.  Draconomicon has rings intended for use by dragons and, if I'm remembering correctly, gloves too.  Even so, there is plenty of artwork showing them manipulating things with their front paws/hands.  They definitely cound as having hands even more than, say, horses (which explicitly have the slot)
I am constantly amazed by how many DM's ban Tomb of Battle.  The book doesn't even exist!

By yes, she means no.
Why would you even do this? It hurts my eyes and looks like you ate your keyboard before suffering an attack of explosive diarrhea.
[/spoiler]

If using Genesis to hide your phylactry, set it at -300 degrees farenheit.  See how do-gooders fare with a liquid atmosphere.

Sobolev

• Donkey Kong
« Reply #173 on: November 27, 2010, 12:12:54 AM »
Q70: What makes Hulking Hurlers good?
Sha'ir Handbook
Binder Handbook

Quote from: Negative Zero on November 04, 2009, 02:16:14 AM
In my humble opinion, CO is haberdashery. Some say we're mad, but we can all agree we're hatters. Yes, we have potential to make very sophisticated hats, very fancy hats, be they dark or light. But the truth is that the color of the hat does not come from the group of us - our community doesn't directly produce hats. We simply give average head circumferences, list current fashion trends, and point out some shiny, obscure baubles to add to the latest hat line.

snakeman830

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #174 on: November 27, 2010, 12:14:27 AM »
Q70: What makes Hulking Hurlers good?

Their damage is directly dependant on their carrying capacity.  It is easy to get obscene carrying capacities.

By yes, she means no.
[/spoiler]

X-Codes

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #175 on: November 27, 2010, 01:56:30 AM »

Actually if you are an Ur of the two I mentioned, either Mystra or Tymora would intercede, as they took over the respective portfolios (Tymora just to watch over it and grant spells, Mystra because Mystral inhabited the mortal Midnight).

They would only intercede if the DM was a divine asshat.  The whole point of Ur-Priest is to use divine power that is essentially stolen from the gods.  If divine intervention was the automatic response to that, then the entire class would be completely unplayable.  In fact, it would be a trap of BEYOND Ackbarian proportions.

sir_argenon

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #176 on: November 27, 2010, 02:24:13 AM »
Q71: is there a flesh-skin type of thing that a warforged could wear, to appear human? like say how the terminator does?
« Last Edit: November 27, 2010, 02:38:55 AM by sir_argenon »

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #177 on: November 27, 2010, 02:30:31 AM »
Q 72 A little while back, I was reading a Dungeon mag, and came across a bar-lgura with sorcerer, and learned that it was not an associated class. While I don't fully understand why that is, I have a follow-up question? Since the assassin is apparently an associated class where it's 1:1 instead of the sorcerer's 2:1, what of PrC classes like Abjurant Champion, Eldritch Knight, or Swiftblade? Would these too be 2:1 like the sorcerer levels are?

Q 73 I've seen Death Knights in pre-made adventure modules, but not in MMII (I guess they skipped that), who have DR/Magic, DR/Magic and Bludgeoning, and now DR/Magic and Cold Iron. Is there no consistency whatsoever for Death Knights in D&D? What am I supposed to be using? Just choose one each time?

Q 74 If a character has pounce and Spring Attack, can they charge with the pounce, then move back X feet after they've done a full attack?

Q 75 It says that an AbjChamp can swift up an abjuration spell at lvl 2 equal to half their class level. Is this rounded up? I mean, the AbjChamp only has five levels.
I reject your reality, and substitute my own.

When God gives you lemons... it's time to find a new God.

Like D&D Freakouts? Check out this 4th Ed one.

Garryl

• Hong Kong
« Reply #178 on: November 27, 2010, 02:53:24 AM »
Q71: is there a flesh-skin type of thing that a warforged could wear, to appear human? like say how the terminator does?

A71: A Psychoactive Skin of Proteus would let your Warforged literally turn into a human (among other things). If you want a less literally flesh-skin thing, you could just get a Hat of Disguise, which would give you disguise self at will (which grants a +10 bonus on Disguise checks). Disguising yourself as a member of another race only imposes a -2 penalty, so get some bonuses from elsewhere  to cement your disguise (ranks, Charisma, some other item, other transformational effects) and you should be good to go.

Q 72 A little while back, I was reading a Dungeon mag, and came across a bar-lgura with sorcerer, and learned that it was not an associated class. While I don't fully understand why that is, I have a follow-up question? Since the assassin is apparently an associated class where it's 1:1 instead of the sorcerer's 2:1, what of PrC classes like Abjurant Champion, Eldritch Knight, or Swiftblade? Would these too be 2:1 like the sorcerer levels are?

Q 73 I've seen Death Knights in pre-made adventure modules, but not in MMII (I guess they skipped that), who have DR/Magic, DR/Magic and Bludgeoning, and now DR/Magic and Cold Iron. Is there no consistency whatsoever for Death Knights in D&D? What am I supposed to be using? Just choose one each time?

Q 74 If a character has pounce and Spring Attack, can they charge with the pounce, then move back X feet after they've done a full attack?

Q 75 It says that an AbjChamp can swift up an abjuration spell at lvl 2 equal to half their class level. Is this rounded up? I mean, the AbjChamp only has five levels.

A 74: No, you cannot combine pounce and spring attack. Spring attack requires you use an attack action (defined as a specific standard action that allows a single attack), which is different and distinct from a charge. Further, the rules for charging are very strict about where you can move, which would prevent you from taking any extra movement after your attack(s) anyways, even if spring attack could be combined with it.

A 75: I'm AFB at the moment, but I believe that Abjurant Champion specifies that you round up for that ability.

A Guide to Free D&D - A resource of free, official D&D resources on the web.
General listing of my homebrew.
Links to things I've worked on
[spoiler]
Idiot Crusader, refreshing maneuvers for free every round.
The Opposed Checks Handbook - Under construction.
Adaptations Handbook - Under construction.
[/spoiler]

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #179 on: November 27, 2010, 02:56:54 AM »
A 74: No, you cannot combine pounce and spring attack. Spring attack requires you use an attack action (defined as a specific standard action that allows a single attack), which is different and distinct from a charge. Further, the rules for charging are very strict about where you can move, which would prevent you from taking any extra movement after your attack(s) anyways, even if spring attack could be combined with it.

A 75: I'm AFB at the moment, but I believe that Abjurant Champion specifies that you round up for that ability.
That makes no sense then. Or rather, WotC builds make no sense. I'm reading up on Catfolk fighters with catfolk pounce, who have the Spring Attack feat. What would be the point if you couldn't optimize that?

Ah, I see it now. It's in brackets saying "rounded up". That's more like it.
I reject your reality, and substitute my own.

When God gives you lemons... it's time to find a new God.

Like D&D Freakouts? Check out this 4th Ed one.