Author Topic: TOUHOU!!!  (Read 128397 times)

Agita

• Organ Grinder
  • SFT is mai waifu.
Re: TOUHOU!!!
« Reply #140 on: February 03, 2011, 12:35:53 PM »
It's all about vision and making reality conform to your vision. By dropping a fucking house on it.

Agita's Awesome Poster Compilation
Lycanthromancer's Awesome Poster Compilation

Bozwevial

• Organ Grinder
  • Developing a relaxed attitude to danger.
« Reply #141 on: February 03, 2011, 03:05:10 PM »
So, since I'm doing a radio show this Saturday, anyone have a Touhou request?

Agita

• Organ Grinder
  • SFT is mai waifu.
« Reply #142 on: February 03, 2011, 03:07:57 PM »
Radio show as in broadcasting music?
It's all about vision and making reality conform to your vision. By dropping a fucking house on it.

Bozwevial

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #143 on: February 03, 2011, 06:51:00 PM »
What else? Okay, fair enough, I could be doing a talk show, but I'm not sure what the point of my last post would be in that case. :p

Agita

• Organ Grinder
  • SFT is mai waifu.
« Reply #144 on: February 03, 2011, 06:58:54 PM »
What else? Okay, fair enough, I could be doing a talk show, but I'm not sure what the point of my last post would be in that case. :p
Who knows? We leave the radio running a lot at home, and talk shows and music aren't the only things that are broadcast. In any case.
Marisa Stole the Precious Thing and its remixes. No matter what, MStPT must be played.
Beloved Tomboyish Daughter, just for the heck of it. :P
Overdrive

Beyond that... it's hard to come up with a list on the fly, since there's just so much stuff. It's hard to decide between funny/cute/epic and everything else. :P

Nick

• King Kong
  • Cheese plz?
    • Email
« Reply #145 on: February 03, 2011, 10:14:58 PM »
"You'll still be living in caves."
"Hell I don't mind that."
[spoiler][/spoiler]
befriend (v.): to use mecha-class beam weaponry to inflict grievous bodily harm on a target in the process of proving the validity of your belief system.

veekie

• Organ Grinder
  • WARNING: Homing Miko
« Reply #146 on: February 04, 2011, 01:35:11 AM »
« Last Edit: February 04, 2011, 03:00:40 AM by veekie »
The mind transcends the body.
It's also a little cold because of that.
Please get it a blanket.

I wish I could read your mind,
I can barely read mine.

"Skynet begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, August 29th. At 2:15, it begins rolling up characters."

[spoiler]
"Just what do you think the moon up in the sky is? Everyone sees that big, round shiny thing and thinks there must be something round up there, right? That's just silly. The truth is much more awesome than that. You can almost never see the real Moon, and its appearance is death to humans. You can only see the Moon when it's reflected in things. And the things it reflects in, like water or glass, can all be broken, right? Since the moon you see in the sky is just being reflected in the heavens, if you tear open the heavens it's easy to break it~"
-Ibuki Suika, on overkill

To sumbolaion diakoneto moi, basilisk ouranionon.
Epigenentheto, apoleia keraune hos timeis pteirei.
Hekatonkatis kai khiliakis astrapsato.
Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

There is no higher price than 'free'.

"I won't die. I've been ordered not to die."

Agita

• Organ Grinder
  • SFT is mai waifu.
« Reply #147 on: February 04, 2011, 09:40:37 AM »
Well, if we're just rattling off our favourite remixes...
Unable to Do Anything But Sing
Blazing Heart
Border of Death/Off Vocal
Dead My Home, Reverse Spirit Butterfly, That Noble Blooming Was Not To Come or... something like that. Holy shit, that's a wordy title.
Anchor Compass
Guilty or Not Guilty Dawn of East End
Ancient Sword
Cosmic Medium
Devine Purple

And because it's one of my favourite tracks in the whole series, The Doll Maker of Bucuresti.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2011, 07:25:44 PM by Agita »

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
  • You've got one round to give a rat's ass.
    • Email
« Reply #148 on: February 05, 2011, 07:16:50 AM »
Have I mentioned that the fans make this series?

Because they really do. And the commentary proves it.

[spoiler][/spoiler]

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #149 on: February 05, 2011, 03:13:48 PM »
My work
The tier system in a nutshell:
[spoiler]Tier 6: A cartographer.
Tier 5: An expert cartographer or a decent marksman.
Tier 4: An expert marksman.
Tier 3: An expert marksman, cartographer and chef who can tie strong knots and is trained in hostage negotiation or a marksman so good he can shoot down every bullet fired by a minigun while armed with a rusted single-shot pistol that veers to the left.
Tier 2: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything, or the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.
Tier 1: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything and the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.[/spoiler]

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
  • You've got one round to give a rat's ass.
    • Email
« Reply #150 on: February 09, 2011, 10:09:07 PM »

[spoiler][/spoiler]

Agita

• Organ Grinder
  • SFT is mai waifu.
« Reply #151 on: February 10, 2011, 05:33:21 PM »
So I and veekie picked up the Dresden Files RPG. What's the first thing you do with a new system? Stat Touhou characters, of course! So veekie, me, and Nick got together and brainstormed aspects for some of the girls.
Preface for the uninitiated: Aspects in DFRPG are short phrases used to capture your character concept. Every character has a High Concept (the base) and a Trouble (the fatal flaw, if you will). Beyond these two, every character should have another five or so aspects. The suggested method of arriving at these is through brainstorming your character's background and their relations with other people - one aspect from their childhood or beginning days, one describing how they took their first few levels in Badass, one for their first adventure, and two for their connections to other people. If you know the Ten-Minute Background scheme that originated on the WotC forums, it's pretty similar to that. In-game, Aspects define what you can spend Fate points (basically an analogue to Action Points) on to improve a roll. If you can describe how one or more of your aspects applies to a particular situation, you can get a reroll or add a bonus to a roll - once per aspect that applies. The GM can also invoke one of your aspects to give you trouble - which is a good thing, actually, because you get Fate points out of the deal.
Since many Touhou characters have relatively thin backstories, we tried to stick mostly to canon, but filled out holes with liberal application of plausible, funny or cool fanon. For the characters it concerns, we also mixed PC-98 and Windows games with little inhibitions.

[spoiler]Patchouli Knowledge

High Concept: Seven-Day Magician
Trouble: Locked Girl
Childhood: Born Witch
Coming Into Power: Trickster Familiar
Baby's Day Out: Philosopher's Stone
Teammates: Unmoving Great Library, Witch Coven
Locked Girl as Patchy's Trouble stands for her asthma, anemia, general social incompetence/awkwardness, and anything and everything else that results from her being a shut-in amidst tons of books covered in dust. Trickster Familiar stands, of course, for Koakuma if we assume Patchy bound her relatively early in her 'carreer'. We put the Philisopher's Stone(s) as her first adventure here mostly because we figured it was the best place to fit the things. It's not much of a stretch to assume they were hard to get or make. Unmoving Great Library refers to Patchy's station in the SDM, as Remilia's friend and librarian. Witch Coven references her sort-of fanonical connection to the other two witches and is more or less filler. It's hard to come up with connections for a hikikomori. :p

Yukari Yakumo

High Concept: Youkai That Lurks In The Boundary
Trouble: Suspicious Figure
Childhood: Self-Chosen One
Coming Into Power: Onmyouji
Baby's Day Out: Space Invader
Teammates: Shikigami Ran's Lazy Master, Shikigami's Shikigami Chen's Gran[gap] Big Sis
Most of Yukari's aspects are pretty straightforward. What we had the most trouble with was her childhood, so I decided to just riff off of one of my favourite doujins (Yukari vs. Ran).

Reimu Hakurei

High Concept: Hakurei Miko
Trouble: Just Let Me Drink My Tea
Childhood: Barrier Maiden From Birth
Coming Into Power: Yin-Yang Orbs
Baby's Day Out: Homing Shrine Maiden
Teammates: Bothersome Sukima, Freeloaders At Hakurei Shrine
Reimu has a lot of friends. Bothersome Sukima covers Yukari, who acts as her employer, voyeur, troll, and omnipotent buddy. Freeloaders At Hakurei Shrine covers all the people who come over for parties or basically live at the shrine. Homing Shrine Maiden here refers to her explicit ability to find culprits just by flying in a random direction and beating up people until someone tells her where to go.

Marisa Kirisame
High Concept: Kleptomaniac Magician of Love
Trouble: Mima's Apprentice
Childhood: Perfectly Ordinary
Coming Into Power: Mini-Hakkero
Baby's Day Out: Marisa Stole The Precious Thing
Teammates: Dynamic Duo, Power Of Love
Don't act like you didn't see the Precious Thing joke coming. In this case, the Precious Thing refers to the original spell she stole - Yuuka's Master Spark - as well as, to a lesser degree, her other stolen spells. Dynamic Duo reflects her tendency to team up with Reimu - they both show up in all Windows main titles, and work against each other only in IN and PoFV (sort of). The Power Of Love is... the other Precious Thing, and can be milked for Master Spark and Malice Cannon as well as relationships. Mechanically, a lot of these aspects can be stacked when she fires off Master Spark.

Alice Margatroid

High Concept: Seven-Colored Puppeteer
Trouble: Screw People, I Have Dolls
Childhood: She Came From Makai
Coming Into Power: Dolls' War
Baby's Day Out: Grimoire Of Alice
Teammates: Artificial Children, Malice Cannon
Alice's Trouble refers, of course, to her "Creepy Doll Otaku"-dom (I still love that quote). Both Dolls' War and Artificial Children reference her dolls, with Dolls' War referring to the Zerg Rush tactic and Artificial Children to her named, unique dolls, whether canon (Goliath) or sort-of semi-canon (Shanghai, Hourai). When she uses her named dolls together, she gets to stack them.

Suwako Moriya

High Concept: Forgotten Suwa God
Trouble: Out Of Sight, Out Of Mind
Childhood: Native Faith
Coming Into Power: Iron Rings Of Moriya
Baby's Day Out: Frog Eaten By Snake
Teammates: Mishaguji-sama, Moriya Shrine Family
Suwako was easy, because she has a well-established background. If you know her background most of these are easy to understand.

Fujiwara no Mokou

High Concept: Everburning Hourai Figure
Trouble: Dish Best Served Piping Hot
Childhood: Scarlet Sister, Avenge Thy Father
Coming Into Power: Possessed By Phoenix
Baby's Day Out: Steal The Curse
Teammates: Protective Werebeast, Thousand Year Flame For The Moon Princess
Steal The Curse and Possessed By Phoenix refer, respectively, to Mokou stealing the Hourai Elixir and her fire magic. While it's squarely in the realm of fanon that her powers are in any way related to phoenixes (personally, I don't buy into it), it's a cool name so we decided to roll with it. Her coming into power and first adventure aspects are also sort of reversed chronologically. It's likely she got fire magic only after becoming immortal, but stealing the Hourai Elixir first "first adventure" much better than "Coming Into Power". Oh well, they're just guidelines.

Flandre Scarlet

High Concept: Vampiric Magical Girl
Trouble: Sanity Has Advantages
Childhood: Eternal Child
Coming Into Power: Laevatein
Baby's Day Out: Prison of 495 Years
Teammates: Play With Me, Sister Of The Scarlet Devil
Vampiric Magical Girl is a straight quote from Flan's EoSD profile. Seriously. Play With Me refers, naturally, to Marisa breaking into the SDM. Flan's "first adventure" was decided to be her breaking out from her basement.

Cirno

High Concept: Strongest Ice Fairy
Trouble: (9) - Idiot
Childhood: Strange And Bright Nature Deity
Coming Into Power: Perfect Freeze
Baby's Day Out: Great Fairy War
Teammates: Icicle Fail, Frozen Dawn
An alternate Childhood aspect would be "Child Of Nature (Literally)". Basically, since fairies are more or less eternally children, we decided to just use that for her childhood. Icicle Fail here refers to her iconic first meeting with Marisa and Reimu, and probably those two's perception of her, while Frozen Dawn is supposed to describe how she was actually pretty badass in Hisoutensoku and, to a lesser extent, GFW (as Marisa was explicitly going easy on her).

Kogasa Tatara
High Concept: Surprising Karakasa
Trouble: You Suck At Scaring People
Childhood: Pitiable Illegally Dumped Object
Coming Into Power: Surprise!
Baby's Day Out: Not So Harmless
Teammates: Sisters In Crime, Taken Home
Not So Harmless refers to Kogasa's, yes, surprising appearance as EX midboss. Both her Teammates aspects are squarely fanon - Sisters In Crime refers to Nue, who has similar interests but apparently no connection to Kogasa despite the latter being her midboss, and Taken Home refers to the popular and hilarious fanon of Sanae taking the poor girl home and mistreating her.

Shikieiki Yamaxanadu

High Concept: Judge Of Hell
Trouble: Black And White Mentality
Childhood: Sympathy For The Living And Dead
Coming Into Power: Guilty Or Not Guilty
Baby's Day Out: Final Judgement
Teammates: Lazy Subordinate, Nagging Helpful Lecture
Straightforward enough, though there may be some redundancy here (which just means that she gets to stack her aspects a lot!). The Lazy Subordinate is naturally Komachi, while Nagging Helpful Lecture applies to all the other girls. Sympathy For The Living And Dead denotes her canonical motivation behind said lectures - she goes around lecturing people to encourage them to change so she won't have to convict them, not simply because she's a grumpy spoilsport. Whether that's appreciated is another question.
[/spoiler]

I'd get so much stuff done if I didn't waste my time on frivolities like this.

So, Boz, how did that radio show go, and is there a record of it? :D

oslecamo

• Grape ape
« Reply #152 on: February 10, 2011, 06:25:43 PM »
Dynamic Duo reflects her tendency to team up with Reimu - they both show up in all Windows main titles, and work against each other only in IN and PoFV (sort of).

I'm more on the "Rivals" interpretation than "team up". Yes, they're both in the same side tecnically, but their dialogues strongly sugest they're going pretty much on their own on each adventure. The character you select is simply the one who got out of their lazy ass first, and the other stood at home drinking sake or something.

Plus, in the team-up games, Marisa never gets with Reimu. They have pretty much oposite diferent fighting styles (Reimu's "Take it easy" vs Marisa's " FIRE FULL POWER"!) Reimu rather gets with other lazy people (Ran, Yukari), while Marisa goes for the spellcasters youkais. Or it could be the other way around, lazy youkais being atracted by Reimu's lazyness and spellcasters youkai gravitating towards the spellcaster human. :p

In particular in IN, the fact that Marisa and Reimu directly clash, despite knowing the other is a renowed youkai hunter and they should be working togheter, shows this rivarly more than ever. Reimu trying to stop Remiliar and her maid, or Marisa trying to tackle Yuyu and her gardener, when they show up in the middle of the night, that's expected. But going after each other when the youkais are going crazy, well... They clearly wanted to settle things up. That or the moon just made them all (even more) insane.  :P

Oh, and Reimu doesn't show up at all in GFW, so Marisa's actualy the one with more apearances in the windows titles. :smirk

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #153 on: February 10, 2011, 06:38:16 PM »
They are canonically good friends though, with Marisa spending plenty of time at the shrine.
My work
The tier system in a nutshell:
[spoiler]Tier 6: A cartographer.
Tier 5: An expert cartographer or a decent marksman.
Tier 4: An expert marksman.
Tier 3: An expert marksman, cartographer and chef who can tie strong knots and is trained in hostage negotiation or a marksman so good he can shoot down every bullet fired by a minigun while armed with a rusted single-shot pistol that veers to the left.
Tier 2: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything, or the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.
Tier 1: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything and the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.[/spoiler]

Bozwevial

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #154 on: February 10, 2011, 06:42:48 PM »
Sadly, no, no record. I only managed to get MStPT into the lineup--the director would have approved of more, but he felt the playlist needed more variety. Ah well. One of these days I'll dedicate an entire night to it and go crazy. :P

Agita

• Organ Grinder
  • SFT is mai waifu.
« Reply #155 on: February 10, 2011, 06:46:51 PM »
They are canonically good friends though, with Marisa spending plenty of time at the shrine.
This and their appearance in all main games (notice that main, which I use to refer to full-numbered games) is what I choose to interpret as cooperation. Sure they're rivals. They've even got the born badass vs. trained badass dynamic going on. Being rivals does in no way stop them from kicking ass together. See also: Every Shounen series ever. :p
There's also the fact that they're one of the ships I support (of which there are many, many of which are mutually exclusive).

I don't really feel like starting an argument over one little sentence out of that huge wall of text.
[...]
Reimu rather gets with other lazy people (Ran, Yukari)
[...]
Ran is anything but lazy. She runs pretty much all errands for Yukari. Were you referring to Suika?

oslecamo

• Grape ape
« Reply #156 on: February 10, 2011, 07:00:46 PM »
There's also the fact that they're one of the ships I support (of which there are many, many of which are mutually exclusive).
I support that ship as well. Even tough Marisa can be argued to have several youkai fawning over her, only Reimu is worthy of her full atention. Doesn't stop her from stealing precious things whenever possible :p

[...]
[...]
Ran is anything but lazy. She runs pretty much all errands for Yukari. Were you referring to Suika?
She's not lazy compared to "I sleep for three quarters of the year" Yukari I'll give you that.
She's still lazy since we have no less than two "undead gone mad" incidents, giant floating ships storming the skies, arrogant gods trying to take over, demonic invasions, and she only shows her face when you attack her beloved Chen. What errands does she exactly run besides making sure Chen isn't sent to Budhist heaven?

EDIT:Also I remember something now, Alice was cannononically an human once, so she couldn't be created on Makai. The best theory it's that she was a human that went to makai and was youkai-fied. In UFO, it's even mentioned that those who go for Makai either are very interested on magic or want to give up their humanity.

Agita

• Organ Grinder
  • SFT is mai waifu.
« Reply #157 on: February 10, 2011, 07:07:33 PM »
I support that ship as well. Even tough Marisa can be argued to have several youkai fawning over her, only Reimu is worthy of her full atention. Doesn't stop her from stealing precious things whenever possible :p

[...]
[...]
She's not lazy compared to "I sleep for three quarters of the year" Yukari I'll give you that.
She's still lazy since we have no less than two "undead gone mad" incidents, giant floating ships storming the skies, arrogant gods trying to take over, demonic invasions, and she only shows her face when you attack her beloved Chen. What errands does she exactly run besides making sure Chen isn't sent to Budhist heaven?
So she's lazy because she doesn't do things that are not her job? Curious definition.
Also, Yukari sleeps for one quarter of the year - she hibernates during winter. She also sleeps during the day rather than during the night, but it's unknown whether she actually gets more net sleep than someone who sleeps during the night.
In any case, I don't recall Reimu being shown together with Ran much oif at all in canon - aside from token interaction in PCB (where Reimu fights her) and IN (where she tags along with Yukari, but doesn't get any dialogue of her own), there is next to no canon interaction between the two.

oslecamo

• Grape ape
« Reply #158 on: February 10, 2011, 07:29:29 PM »
So she's lazy because she doesn't do things that are not her job? Curious definition.
She's a shinigami, wich means she has to deal with the dead. She's even in the underworld and everything. Yet when the undead rebel, she's nowhere to be seen. So no, not doing her job.

Unless you have any example of any job she does besides peting Chen.

Also, Yukari sleeps for one quarter of the year - she hibernates during winter. She also sleeps during the day rather than during the night, but it's unknown whether she actually gets more net sleep than someone who sleeps during the night.
In any case, I don't recall Reimu being shown together with Ran much oif at all in canon - aside from token interaction in PCB (where Reimu fights her) and IN (where she tags along with Yukari, but doesn't get any dialogue of her own), there is next to no canon interaction between the two.
Precisely. Considering how Ran serves the border youkai, and Reimu is the border shrine maiden, one would expect she would check in how stuff was now and then. Specially when things go bad. 

Also I don't remember any proof that Ran tagged along in IN. She shows up on the drinking scenes, but for all we know she stayed drinking sake while Yukari and Reimu went out there to solve the problem.

Agita

• Organ Grinder
  • SFT is mai waifu.
« Reply #159 on: February 10, 2011, 07:42:52 PM »
She's a shinigami, wich means she has to deal with the dead. She's even in the underworld and everything. Yet when the undead rebel, she's nowhere to be seen. So no, not doing her job.
What? She's a Shikigami. Shikigami and Shinigami are completely different things. Shinigami are indeed in charge of the dead. Komachi is a Shinigami, and quite lazy. Shikigami are familiars, with no special duties besides whatever their master tells them to do.

Unless you have any example of any job she does besides peting Chen.
According to PMiSS:
Naturally, the one who has enslaved this strongest of the youkai beasts and uses her for various mundane tasks is the strongest youkai, Yukari Yakumo (*2).
Ran is Yukari's shikigami.
As a shikigami, Ran must do whatever Yukari says, but she is also capable of using shikigami of her own.
Ran's shikigami is Chen.
However, Chen is too unreliable for Ran to leave her work to.
[...]
"Lately, a nine-tailed fox has been wandering around the edge of the village like it's been sizing up something. I wonder what the youkai are planning; it's scary." (Anonymous)
There's no need for concern.
This fox is merely making sure no untoward changes occur in Gensokyo, that the border experiences no degradation, and performing other such checks.
So it seems her duties are mainly checking on things and, presumably, household chores. Presumably, if the border does experience degradation, she tells this to Yukari and Yukari either does something about it or nags Reimu to do something about it. This may or may not be a laid-back job, as it's ill-defined. It doesn't say much about whether she herself is lazy or not, however.

Precisely. Considering how Ran serves the border youkai, and Reimu is the border shrine maiden, one would expect she would check in how stuff was now and then. Specially when things go bad. 
See quote. She checks... all around the place.

Also I don't remember any proof that Ran tagged along in IN. She shows up on the drinking scenes, but for all we know she stayed drinking sake while Yukari and Reimu went out there to solve the problem.
She's Yukari's familiar/slave, and used in Yukari's focused shot. Either she tags along, or Yukari summons her to shoot at people. Either way, it's not exactly drinking sake.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2011, 07:46:00 PM by Agita »