Author Topic: TOUHOU!!!  (Read 128426 times)

oslecamo

• Grape ape
Re: TOUHOU!!!
« Reply #80 on: January 04, 2011, 10:17:41 AM »
Finally beated Perfect Cherry Blossom whitout continues! Yuyu almost made it game over with her last hail of bullets hiting me at the same time the final scores popped up, but I had a spare life.

Then entereted the Extra stage and...
[spoiler]
OH GODS CATGIRLS FIRING FAST BULLETS EVERYWHERE! Where's real world physics when you need it damnit?
[/spoiler]

So now to beat Embodiment of Scarlet Devil whitout continues!

Agita

• Organ Grinder
  • SFT is mai waifu.
« Reply #81 on: January 04, 2011, 10:36:28 AM »
You're obviously better at the games than me, so: What do you do to get past Stage 4 without losing half your life? The Prismrivers I can handle - even Merlin - but that thrice-accursed Stage 4... :shakefist
« Last Edit: January 04, 2011, 12:17:15 PM by Agita »
It's all about vision and making reality conform to your vision. By dropping a fucking house on it.

Agita's Awesome Poster Compilation
Lycanthromancer's Awesome Poster Compilation

oslecamo

• Grape ape
« Reply #82 on: January 04, 2011, 11:55:16 AM »
You're obviously better at the games than me, so: What do you do to get past Stage 4 without losing half your life? The Prismrivers I can handle - even Merling - but that thrice-accursed Stage 4... :shakefist

Ah, yes, the mooks from stage 4 are easily the hardest of the game, and I also used to lose a lot  of lifes there before I got the trick. Here's my advice:

1- At the begginning-middle, do NOT stay on the bottom of the screen or sides when there's no enemies. The mooks will aim their bullet waves at your character, and their pattern will pin you whitout escape if you're in the bottom or sides. If you stay on the middle however (and shoot your oponents as they come out), the bullet waves will be aimed more up and leave an open space on the bottom for you to retreat. If you stay there you'll still be pinned however. Just as one bullet wave passes and the next comes, you have to go to the center again, passing between them. Repeat. You may find yourself pushed to the sides after several waves, in wich case don't go down, go up, all the way to the upper side of the screen and then drop back to the middle. Hopefully new enemies won't pop up from the sides when you're forced to do this.

2-There's also several super fairies wich are quite durable and shoot a pattern of slow bullets, and they come in multiples. The trick here it's that killing the fairy removes their bullets. You have to quickly focus fire them one by one or the map will get too cluttered.

3-Play Sakuya. Moar bombs mean moar  "get away from bullet hell alive" cards. If you use them well she has actually eight bombs per life, because perfect square can easily unlock a cherry barrier, and mystic square (focused bomb) will clean the next wave of bullets that passed on the area where you throwed the square.

Overall, you MUST remain mobile and fast, dancing around the screen in order to don't get cornered and snipe the super-fairies just as they appear. The fast bullet waves are too concentrated for you to graze trough them, and they'll pin you easy if you move too little, so you must keep flying from one side to the other to keep them dispersed. If you stay mobile and fast, there will be openings between the waves, and passing trough them it's the only way I found to stay alive.

Agita

• Organ Grinder
  • SFT is mai waifu.
« Reply #83 on: January 04, 2011, 12:13:36 PM »
Hm. I do parts of that already - I like Sakuya A's shot and extra bomb, I shoot the durable fairies as soon as they appear, and already know to expect the enemies at the start. I usually start relatively high up, at the sides, trying to shoot those right at the beginning as they appear. I still manage to die occasionally before the Stage title flashes. :p

And the dense bullet waves are great at making me freak out and make stupid mistakes.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2011, 12:17:08 PM by Agita »
It's all about vision and making reality conform to your vision. By dropping a fucking house on it.

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #84 on: January 04, 2011, 11:09:16 PM »
« Last Edit: January 04, 2011, 11:12:49 PM by Prime32 »
My work
The tier system in a nutshell:
[spoiler]Tier 6: A cartographer.
Tier 5: An expert cartographer or a decent marksman.
Tier 4: An expert marksman.
Tier 3: An expert marksman, cartographer and chef who can tie strong knots and is trained in hostage negotiation or a marksman so good he can shoot down every bullet fired by a minigun while armed with a rusted single-shot pistol that veers to the left.
Tier 2: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything, or the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.
Tier 1: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything and the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.[/spoiler]

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Last Edit: January 08, 2011, 10:55:57 PM by Prime32 »
My work
Tier 3: An expert marksman, cartographer and chef who can tie strong knots and is trained in hostage negotiation or a marksman so good he can shoot down every bullet fired by a minigun while armed with a rusted single-shot pistol that veers to the left.
Tier 2: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything, or the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.
Tier 1: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything and the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.[/spoiler]

Nick

• King Kong
  • Cheese plz?
    • Email
« Reply #86 on: January 08, 2011, 11:08:23 PM »
Maikaze's Touhou Anime Epi 2

Not sure if its the real one, but hell, some news is better than no news.

The Lovely, Freezing, Tomboyish Bath, Cirno's Hot Spring
« Last Edit: January 08, 2011, 11:24:11 PM by Nick »
"You'll still be living in caves."
"Hell I don't mind that."
[spoiler][/spoiler]
befriend (v.): to use mecha-class beam weaponry to inflict grievous bodily harm on a target in the process of proving the validity of your belief system.

veekie

• Organ Grinder
  • WARNING: Homing Miko
« Reply #87 on: January 09, 2011, 02:41:25 PM »
How'd she get that?
[spoiler]

Also, I could swear I've seen a larger version of this.
[/spoiler]
The mind transcends the body.
It's also a little cold because of that.
Please get it a blanket.

I wish I could read your mind,
I can barely read mine.

"Skynet begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, August 29th. At 2:15, it begins rolling up characters."

[spoiler]
"Just what do you think the moon up in the sky is? Everyone sees that big, round shiny thing and thinks there must be something round up there, right? That's just silly. The truth is much more awesome than that. You can almost never see the real Moon, and its appearance is death to humans. You can only see the Moon when it's reflected in things. And the things it reflects in, like water or glass, can all be broken, right? Since the moon you see in the sky is just being reflected in the heavens, if you tear open the heavens it's easy to break it~"
-Ibuki Suika, on overkill

To sumbolaion diakoneto moi, basilisk ouranionon.
Epigenentheto, apoleia keraune hos timeis pteirei.
Hekatonkatis kai khiliakis astrapsato.
Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

There is no higher price than 'free'.

"I won't die. I've been ordered not to die."

Agita

• Organ Grinder
  • SFT is mai waifu.
« Reply #88 on: January 09, 2011, 03:10:27 PM »
You rang?
[spoiler][/spoiler]

Nick

• King Kong
  • Cheese plz?
    • Email
« Reply #89 on: January 10, 2011, 07:19:54 AM »
You rang?
[spoiler][/spoiler]

Thanks. Now I have a new picture for Chiiruno. :D

Coz we caught 2 giant frilly-necked lizards remember? :D
"You'll still be living in caves."
"Hell I don't mind that."
[spoiler][/spoiler]
befriend (v.): to use mecha-class beam weaponry to inflict grievous bodily harm on a target in the process of proving the validity of your belief system.

veekie

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #90 on: January 10, 2011, 09:51:54 AM »
Fightin da powa
[spoiler][/spoiler]
Please get it a blanket.

I can barely read mine.

"Skynet begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, August 29th. At 2:15, it begins rolling up characters."

[spoiler]
"Just what do you think the moon up in the sky is? Everyone sees that big, round shiny thing and thinks there must be something round up there, right? That's just silly. The truth is much more awesome than that. You can almost never see the real Moon, and its appearance is death to humans. You can only see the Moon when it's reflected in things. And the things it reflects in, like water or glass, can all be broken, right? Since the moon you see in the sky is just being reflected in the heavens, if you tear open the heavens it's easy to break it~"

Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Last Edit: January 11, 2011, 08:52:09 PM by Prime32 »
My work

veekie

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #92 on: January 12, 2011, 02:18:11 PM »
Cold Fusion
[spoiler]

[/spoiler]
Please get it a blanket.

I can barely read mine.

[spoiler]

Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

Agita

• Organ Grinder
  • SFT is mai waifu.
« Reply #93 on: January 12, 2011, 05:11:26 PM »
Ennui Akadako released a doujin dedicated to all the shitty players out there.
[spoiler]

[/spoiler]
I feel honored.

*sniff* :bigeye

veekie

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #94 on: January 12, 2011, 10:59:54 PM »
Ennui Akadako released a doujin dedicated to all the shitty players out there.
[spoiler]

[/spoiler]
I feel honored.

*sniff* :bigeye
Me too.
Please get it a blanket.

I can barely read mine.

[spoiler]

Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
  • You've got one round to give a rat's ass.
    • Email
« Reply #95 on: January 12, 2011, 11:14:38 PM »
Heh, I caved. Found a Mac port for 7, started practicing.

Any control tips? I've established Shift, Z, and X as the vitals, but I'm fairly sure there are some tricks I am missing.

[spoiler][/spoiler]

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #96 on: January 13, 2011, 06:44:53 AM »
My work

oslecamo

• Grape ape
« Reply #97 on: January 13, 2011, 11:53:02 AM »
Resistance is futile. You will all be assimilated.

Any control tips? I've established Shift, Z, and X as the vitals, but I'm fairly sure there are some tricks I am missing.

No, there aren't. Shot, focused shot, bomb, focused bomb, and that's all the controls you get. The rest of the game is perfect timing, and figuring out the special mechanic of that particular title. For Touhou 7, it's cherry collecting. Graze a lot and you create a temporary border wich increases your point gain and will shield you from one attack. Other titles have other special mechanics of their own, except Touhou 6. Still only directionals+3 buttons.

There's also the "counter-bomb" mechanic. If you're hit (special sound), you have a fraction of second to launch a bomb. If you're fast enough you don't die and the bomb is expended as normal.

Tip: Touhou 8 is the "easiest" of the bullet hells and a good starting point for begginners, wich may or may not be related to the fact you're playing as the strongest bosses of the previous games. Or that it has the more forgiving counter-bomb system of all, the last card system (more time to react, and your counter bomb is actually stronger than normal, altough it spends too uses, but totally worth it)

Agita

• Organ Grinder
  • SFT is mai waifu.
« Reply #98 on: January 13, 2011, 12:59:07 PM »
Resistance is futile. You will all be assimilated.

No, there aren't. Shot, focused shot, bomb, focused bomb, and that's all the controls you get. The rest of the game is perfect timing, and figuring out the special mechanic of that particular title. For Touhou 7, it's cherry collecting. Graze a lot and you create a temporary border wich increases your point gain and will shield you from one attack. Other titles have other special mechanics of their own, except Touhou 6. Still only directionals+3 buttons.

There's also the "counter-bomb" mechanic. If you're hit (special sound), you have a fraction of second to launch a bomb. If you're fast enough you don't die and the bomb is expended as normal.

Tip: Touhou 9 is the "easiest" of the bullet hells and a good starting point for begginners, wich may or may not be related to the fact you're playing as the strongest bosses of the previous games. Or that it has the more forgiving counter-bomb system of all, the last card system (more time to react, and your counter bomb is actually stronger than normal, altough it spends too uses, but totally worth it)
9? TH9 is PoFV. Imperishable Night (TH8) is typically called the easiest.