Author Topic: Sunder - can you crit?  (Read 1629 times)

Phrennzy

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
Sunder - can you crit?
« on: November 20, 2010, 12:22:38 AM »

You make opposed attack rolls.  If its an attack roll, can you crit?  (I said yes, because it was the PC who crit, and I'm a "Say yes" kind of DM)
It seems like you shouldn't, because its more of a mechanic to determine a winner instead of determining if you hit your target.  But it specifically says 'attack roll'. 

In a similar Sunder vein - what if both attacker and defender roll a natural 20?  Is it an auto win for the attacker?  (This also happened the same night.  I ruled that it wasn't an auto-win for the attacker - but that seems to conflict with the crit rule I made earlier.  Maybe I'm less of a "Say yes" DM and more of a "Random Ruling" DM.)

Opinions?

AndyJames

• Organ Grinder
  • Meep?
Re: Sunder - can you crit?
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2010, 01:12:51 AM »
Can you crit objects? If you can't the point is moot with regards to critting on Sundering. I THINK you cannot crit objects, but i am not 100% sure on that. I did recall it being a sore point for DnD purists when NWN came out.

Phrennzy

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2010, 04:47:58 AM »
Good point.  I should have spelled out that in this case, it was a sunder attack against the tendril of an Ironmaw (basically an evil treant with branchlike tendrils that can be severed).

AndyJames

• Organ Grinder
  • Meep?
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2010, 04:53:02 AM »
Treants are immune to crits also...

Phrennzy

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2010, 02:50:03 PM »
Treants are immune to crits also...

LOL.  Damn, I blew it.

However, what about a hydra?  They aren't objects and they aren't immune to crits.  Can you sunder attack crit? 

AndyJames

• Organ Grinder
  • Meep?
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2010, 02:48:51 AM »
LOL.  Damn, I blew it.

However, what about a hydra?  They aren't objects and they aren't immune to crits.  Can you sunder attack crit? 
My opinion is that it doesn't because, as you say, it is an opposed roll rather than a anti-AC roll, but I suppose you can rule it either way. I don't think the rules actually say either way.