Author Topic: Invulnerability, of a Sort.  (Read 2892 times)

Amechra

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Thread Necromancy a Specialty
Invulnerability, of a Sort.
« on: November 19, 2010, 01:12:07 AM »
Alright, here's the idea (Inspired by the fact that a double Magic Jar means that the 2nd body is your true body. Also, Haunt Shifting.)

The Crazy Method
1. Haunt Shift at as early a level as possible. I suggest being a necropolitan and paying for the spell. Make sure to pick an area; it just makes this nice.
2. Mind Jar twice as soon as you can. I suggest picking a nice first body, and a lame second body.
3. Destroy first gem, don't care because you dispelled a spell that you weren't under the effects of. Destroy the second gem. You are now permanently in the second body.
4. Because spells only check for applicability when they are cast, and Haunt Shift is Instantaneous, you still count as a Haunting Presence. Why is this good? Because Haunting Presences can only be removed in three ways:
    a. The destruction of the area; you're probably a spellcaster, and you can see and hear as a normal human up to 60ft away from your area, so you don't even have to waste time on guards.
    b. You can be destroyed normally while using the Impermanent Home ability; simple, don't use it.
    c. You can be exorcised, which basically forces you to do b.; honestly, they just summoned a rather pissed wizard; no sane group would risk this. Besides, you have 10 rounds to wreck their shit.

And nothing else can hurt you. Nothing.

Now, a word on Impermanent Home; it doesn't really specify that you go back into the location/object at the end, it just means you regain Haunting Presence status, meaning that you can basically use this to teleport places. For no cost. Your level times a week. All it does is drop your invulnerability until you take a move action to regain it.

So, what do we have here? A nigh-indestructable wizard (probably of the Red sort) that can animate objects within his sanctum, and teleport anywhere in his Sanctum as a non-action (I'm assuming a free action.)

Also, another funny way to do this; Haunt Shift into an area of sand. Cast Awaken Sand on it. Enjoy.

So, any comments on this trick?
[spoiler]Fighter: "I can kill a guy in one turn."
Cleric: "I can kill a guy in half a turn."
Wizard: "I can kill a guy before my turn."
Bard: "I can get three idiots to kill guys for me."

On a strange note, would anyone be put out if we had a post about people or events we can spare a thought for, or if its within their creed, a prayer for? Just a random thought, but ... hells I wouldn't have known about either Archangels daughter or Saeomons niece if I didn't happen to be on these threads.
Sounds fine to me.
probably over on "Off-topic".
might want to put a little disclaimer in the first post.

This is the Min/Max board. We should be able to figure out a way to optimize the POWER OF PRAYER(TM) that doesn't involve "Pazuzu, Pazuzu, Pazuzu".
[/spoiler]

My final project for my film independent study course. It could do with a watching and critiquing

Endarire

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
Re: Invulnerability, of a Sort.
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2010, 01:38:59 AM »
Sanctum Spell got a bit more powerful.

PS: magic jar.  What's Mind Jar?
Hood - My first answer to all your build questions; past, present, and future.

Speaking of which:
Don't even need TO for this.  Any decent Hood build, especially one with Celerity, one-rounds [Azathoth, the most powerful greater deity from d20 Cthulu].
Does it bug anyone else that we've reached the point where characters who can obliterate a greater deity in one round are considered "decent?"

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2010, 01:46:52 AM »
3. Destroy first gem
4. You are now out of the second host, and in your original body.
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

SorO_Lost

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • I'll kill you before you're born.
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2010, 02:38:28 AM »
Alright, here's the idea (Inspired by the fact that a double Magic Jar means that the 2nd body is your true body. Also, Haunt Shifting.)

So, any comments on this trick?
What TML said. Magic Jar contains the clause that when it ends you return to your body (or at least the one that cast the spell) or die.

Perhaps you are thinking Polymorph Any Object & True Mind Switch?
Tiers explained in 8 sentences. With examples!
[spoiler]Tiers break down into who has spellcasting more than anything else due to spells being better than anything else in the game.
6: Skill based. Commoner, Expert, Samurai.
5: Mundane warrior. Barbarian, Fighter, Monk.
4: Partial casters. Adapt, Hexblade, Paladin, Ranger, Spelltheif.
3: Focused casters. Bard, Beguiler, Dread Necromancer, Martial Adapts, Warmage.
2: Full casters. Favored Soul, Psion, Sorcerer, Wu Jen.
1: Elitists. Artificer, Cleric, Druid, Wizard.
0: Gods. StP Erudite, Illthid Savant, Pun-Pun, Rocks fall & you die.
[/spoiler]

Ed-Zero

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2010, 03:17:34 AM »
So killing the body wouldn't kill you because you are a object and once the body is dead, it too is a object? What would happen if the body was torn apart? Is the body that you haunted still able to move...

SorO_Lost

• Man in Gorilla Suit
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2010, 03:23:30 AM »
Would be easier if comments on double Magic Jaring were kept in one thread.

Link.
[spoiler]Tiers break down into who has spellcasting more than anything else due to spells being better than anything else in the game.
[/spoiler]

Amechra

• Man in Gorilla Suit
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2010, 05:39:08 PM »
So killing the body wouldn't kill you because you are a object and once the body is dead, it too is a object? What would happen if the body was torn apart? Is the body that you haunted still able to move...

The body is able to move. The thing is, a Haunting Presence cannot be affected by anything except for the 3 things I mentioned. So as long as you count as a Haunting Presence, you're pretty much invulnerable.

I agree that wrecking the gems might cause that, but look at linked thread above. That's where I got the idea.

I meant Magic Jar when I said Mind Jar. I think that's a Yugioh card, actually.

So if the Mind Shifting doesn't work, I'm sad. Though you could just use True Mind Switch, thus becoming immune to the destruction of the object you're haunting, do to the whole "I don't care if the body before my last one dies." clause in True Mind Switch.

On a strange note, would anyone be put out if we had a post about people or events we can spare a thought for, or if its within their creed, a prayer for? Just a random thought, but ... hells I wouldn't have known about either Archangels daughter or Saeomons niece if I didn't happen to be on these threads.
Sounds fine to me.

This is the Min/Max board. We should be able to figure out a way to optimize the POWER OF PRAYER(TM) that doesn't involve "Pazuzu, Pazuzu, Pazuzu".
[/spoiler]

My final project for my film independent study course. It could do with a watching and critiquing

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2010, 05:50:07 PM »
I don't think you could actually cast spells while doing poltergeist or plain haunting presence, anyway.

Also, as written, there's no clause that actually lets you determine what's being haunted.  Which puts it into the realm of DM fiat.

"OK, dude.  You're haunting a single grain of sand.  Good luck."
Planetouched Handbook

Amechra

• Man in Gorilla Suit
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2010, 05:54:33 PM »
I don't think you could actually cast spells while doing poltergeist or plain haunting presence, anyway.

Also, as written, there's no clause that actually lets you determine what's being haunted.  Which puts it into the realm of DM fiat.

"OK, dude.  You're haunting a single grain of sand.  Good luck."

It doesn't say anywhere that you are incapable; so possibly SLAs would work, or Stilled Spells.

Silent Spell wouldn't be needed, because a Haunting Presence can speak (Look it up, page 6 of the Libris Mortis.).

You know what you do with that grain of sand? Swallow it, and never take a crap again.

Sounds fine to me.

[/spoiler]

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2010, 05:57:46 PM »
I don't think you have line of effect.
Planetouched Handbook

Amechra

• Man in Gorilla Suit
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2010, 06:09:03 PM »
Hmmm...

But aren't you the...

You know what? StP Erudite. That Metapsionic feat that lets you manifest through walls.

LoE? What LoE?

Sounds fine to me.

[/spoiler]

PlzBreakMyCampaign

• Hong Kong
  • Immune to Critical Hits as a Fairness Elemental
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2010, 02:09:28 AM »
Good job. I sorta stopped paying attention to these 'you get another body/entity' threads after becoming a sandwich was seen as 'normal'  :lmao
[Spoiler]
An interesting read, nice to see a civil discussion
The point of Spell Resistance is to make it harder to get buffed.
And healed. Don't forget that.
Huge amounts of people are fuckwits. That doesn't mean that fuckwit is a valid lifestyle.
[/Spoiler]

Old Geezer's Law of Hobby Taste: The more objectively inconsequential a hobby is, the more disagreements within the community will be expressed in outrageously insulting, overblown, and ludicrously emotionally laden terms.

More Funny than Humble[Spoiler]
Quote from: PlzBreakMyCampaign
Your a shifter... you have all you ever need.
It blows MoMF out of the water

But if your greedy for more [Wish] for something that only effects you, like another class level or two that doesn't count against your ECL.
Quote from: hungryhungryhippo987
Yes, I'm the 3.0 "Masters of the Wild" shifter, the awesome kind. My favorite form to take is Force Dragon. Yes, I am immortal ... My character is hands down the coolest guy in the campaign and there is nothing I could possibly want.
PBMC gets a cookie for DotA r

weenog

• Grape ape
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2010, 02:11:49 AM »
Good job. I sorta stopped paying attention to these 'you get another body/entity' threads after becoming a sandwich was seen as 'normal'  :lmao
Hey, you are what you eat.
"We managed to make an NPC puke an undead monster."
"That sounds like a victory to me."

RelentlessImp

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2010, 02:21:46 AM »

Don't touch Sandvich!
Solo on Essentials
I prepared irresistible phantasmal killer today... as a 4th level spell.
"He hit me with a flaming garbage can...and then the god damn hobo next to it!"

SorO_Lost

• Man in Gorilla Suit
« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2010, 02:59:51 AM »

Don't touch Sandvich!
mmmh, chicken slaad sandwitch.
[/spoiler]