Author Topic: Is this optimizing?  (Read 3908 times)

GawainBS

• Hong Kong
    • Email
Is this optimizing?
« on: July 07, 2008, 03:24:57 PM »
Maybe it belongs to the Nagging-board, but since the discussion is about optimizing a character, maybe this is a better plays. (For those who read the "Educating the masses"-thread, yes, it might be better for my sanity if I stayed away from Gamebanshee, but someone has to show people there what D&D is about.;))

http://www.gamebanshee.com/forums/dungeons-and-dragons-24/looking-for-suggestions-for-a-ba-character-100241-p2.html

It boils down to: Drow UltimateMagus10/Abjurer3/Sorcerer3/AbjurantChampion2 is better than Wizard 20 because he can do 150 damage over 2 rounds.  ???

Oh, and notice how he reads Swift Abjuration. I wish he were right...

katans

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
  • All hail the Cheese!
Re: Is this optimizing?
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2008, 04:01:58 PM »
Just let them have their fights with their supbar characters and wonder why they got all nerfed by a "simple" Mordenkainen's Disjunction.

GawainBS

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2008, 04:42:25 PM »
I'm mostly annoyed by the false info, not the fact that people ask for advice or don't know the ins-and-outs of Treantmonk's Guide to Being Batman.

Blade2718

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
    • Un4given Ghosts Scenario Paintball
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2008, 01:18:10 AM »
I'm mostly annoyed by the false info, not the fact that people ask for advice or don't know the ins-and-outs of Treantmonk's Guide to Being Batman.
Point of order:  It's LogicNinja's Guide to Being Batman.

Cyrocloud

• Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2008, 02:46:45 AM »
isn't that like less than fighter 20 full attacking in two rounds.

uhhh lets see assumeing 24 str and hasted with a greatsword +5 and only the first three attacks landing, ohh 63ish dmg two rounds in a row that is like 126.  thats not two far off considering this is one of the weakest builds in core.  granted it doesn't have the area though.  Even sword and broad would only make what a 18 point difference in this figure.

Sorrcer 20 with RotD could pick up wings of furry and be be doing better dmg with what a 4th level spell and it would be force dmg.

It gets a bit tricky considering hes a mod but yeah you should probably show him the light any way through either the being batman or god guides (it's kinda odd that both batman and god are on the same level here... :plotting.

GawainBS

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2008, 08:13:48 AM »
My apologies to LogicNinja.
That guy in the thread I linked it quite adamant. Half of the time he goes for "opinion-dodge" and the other half my agruments are declared to be "inapplicable". (The fact that a Wiz20 has lvl 9 slots and 24 caster level is apparently irrelevant.)
Another thing I don't get: if you fish out that "extreme" cheese combo with the metamagic, why not replace Fireball with Enervation?

katans

• All hail the Cheese!
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2008, 08:20:09 AM »
Gotta quote Sting on this one: "It takes a man to suffer ignorance and smile"...

Kuroimaken

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2008, 01:07:29 PM »
Gotta quote Sting on this one: "It takes a man to suffer ignorance and smile"...

I feel emasculated.
Gendou Ikari is basically Gregory House in Kaminashades. This is FACT.

For proof, look here:

http://www.layoutjelly.com/image_27/gendo_ikari/

[SPOILER]
Which Final Fantasy Character Are You?
Final Fantasy 7
My Unitarian Jihad Name is: Brother Katana of Enlightenment.
Get yours.[/SPOILER]

I HAVE BROKEN THE 69 INTERNETS BARRIER!

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
  • You've got one round to give a rat's ass.
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2008, 02:51:52 PM »

It takes one bad comment to get that man a nut-shot.

My apologies to LogicNinja.
That guy in the thread I linked it quite adamant. Half of the time he goes for "opinion-dodge" and the other half my agruments are declared to be "inapplicable". (The fact that a Wiz20 has lvl 9 slots and 24 caster level is apparently irrelevant.)
Another thing I don't get: if you fish out that "extreme" cheese combo with the metamagic, why not replace Fireball with Enervation?

About the Drow Wizard: Kobolds are better than Drow. Always. About the spells he's using: Fireball sucks. Chain Missile is at least force damage (even if the average damage from the two is the same). Scorching Ray works better, and Enervate makes people cry.

It gets a bit tricky considering hes a mod but yeah you should probably show him the light any way through either the being batman or god guides (it's kinda odd that both batman and god are on the same level here... :plotting.

We've been through this before, Batman is a God in his own right.

[spoiler][/spoiler]

Runestar

• King Kong
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2008, 01:57:52 AM »
Wow, those must be fairly low standards if 150 damage at higher lvs is enough for you.... :P
A clear conscience is the surest sign of a failing memory.

GawainBS

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2008, 08:39:03 AM »
That's the reason why I'm puzzled. What's the point of 150 damage over 2 round if you won't even get your second round?

RobbyPants

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2008, 10:55:42 AM »
That's the reason why I'm puzzled. What's the point of 150 damage over 2 round if you won't even get your second round?
They probably haven't figured out that a wizard could be doing better things than direct damage.

Hell, even a single spell can do about that good.  Just take Maw of Chaos for CLd6 damage over an area for CL rounds with no save.  By the time you metamagic the hell out of your Fireball, it still only has a save DC of 13 + Int mod. 

It seems like they're going through a lot of trouble for a net loss.
My balancing 3.5 compendium
Elemental mage test game

Quotes
[spoiler]
Quote from: Cafiend
It is a shame stupidity isn't painful.
Quote from: StormKnight
Totally true.  Historians believe that most past civilizations would have endured for centuries longer if they had successfully determined Batman's alignment.
Quote from: Grand Theft Otto
Why are so many posts on the board the equivalent of " Dear Dr. Crotch, I keep punching myself in the crotch, and my groin hurts... what should I do? How can I make my groin stop hurting?"
Quote from: CryoSilver
I suggest carving "Don't be a dick" into him with a knife.  A dull, rusty knife.  A dull, rusty, bent, flaming knife.
Quote from: Seerow
Fluffy: It's over Steve! I've got the high ground!
Steve: You underestimate my power!
Fluffy: Don't try it, Steve!
Steve: *charges*
Fluffy: *three critical strikes*
Steve: ****
Quote from: claypigeons
I don't even stat out commoners. Commoner = corpse that just isn't a zombie. Yet.
Quote from: CryoSilver
When I think "Old Testament Boots of Peace" I think of a paladin curb-stomping an orc and screaming "Your death brings peace to this land!"
Quote from: Orville_Oaksong
Buy a small country. Or Pelor. Both are good investments.
[/spoiler]

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
  • You've got one round to give a rat's ass.
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2008, 11:16:44 AM »
They probably haven't figured out that a wizard could be doing better things than direct damage.

Hell, even a single spell can do about that good.  Just take Maw of Chaos for CLd6 damage over an area for CL rounds with no save.  By the time you metamagic the hell out of your Fireball, it still only has a save DC of 13 + Int mod. 

It seems like they're going through a lot of trouble for a net loss.

Fireball is only optimized when its in a Wand. And a Rod of Many Wands with a shitload of metamagic and Searing, Fiery, and Blistering spell as some of them.

[spoiler][/spoiler]

GawainBS

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2008, 03:22:12 PM »
Believe me, I tried to explain it. I don't know if they don't understand the fact that winning initiative, having a Simulacrum and a Clone, and then some bonus rounds from Timestop is rather good, or that they are pulling my leg. Most of the times it's something like "But the true roleplayer is smart and makes up for it with tactics..." Riiiight. :eh

BowenSilverclaw

• Organ Grinder
  • Walking that fine line between genius and insanity
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2008, 03:24:59 PM »
So a wizard winning initiative, having a Simulacrum and a Clone, and then some bonus rounds from Timestop isn't using tactics?
Riiiiiight :eh

Also, if you go the blasting route, at least make sure you can deal some 5k damage or something at that level without much effort.
Sheesh, amateurs... :eh

~Bowen
"Weakness? Come test thy mettle against me, hairless ape, and we shall know who is weak!"

Quote from: J0lt
You caught a fish.  It was awesome.   :lol

DetectiveJabsco

• Bi-Curious George
  • Here's To Life
    • Email
« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2008, 04:20:34 PM »
I got yelled at by him...sad
He told me i would not make it far with my attitude.
Comparing his build to a Commoner 20 is to harsh for him.
Bummer.

GawainBS

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2008, 04:22:31 PM »
I thought I recognized that name.
That's pretty much his style. The problem for him is, however, that he can't rebuke your arguments with reason.

Vidar

• Email
« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2008, 10:36:19 AM »
Heh. Apparently Syberis decided that Jabco's first respons was so foul he better deleted it anyway. Some people just aren't ready enough to avoid corruption from the power that mod'ing brings.

SorO_Lost

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • I'll kill you before you're born.
« Reply #18 on: July 13, 2008, 05:16:14 PM »
It boils down to: Drow UltimateMagus10/Abjurer3/Sorcerer3/AbjurantChampion2 is better than Wizard 20 because he can do 150 damage over 2 rounds.  ???
A half-orc sorcerer 8 / fighter 5 / eldritch knight 5 using disintegrate can deal more than 150 damage over two rounds. >.>

I should post it  :lol

Oh, and notice how he reads Swift Abjuration. I wish he were right...
Me to.

Edit - I'm to lazy to sign up there, make them sign up here.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2008, 05:22:42 PM by SorO_Lost »
Tiers explained in 8 sentences. With examples!
[spoiler]Tiers break down into who has spellcasting more than anything else due to spells being better than anything else in the game.
6: Skill based. Commoner, Expert, Samurai.
5: Mundane warrior. Barbarian, Fighter, Monk.
4: Partial casters. Adapt, Hexblade, Paladin, Ranger, Spelltheif.
3: Focused casters. Bard, Beguiler, Dread Necromancer, Martial Adapts, Warmage.
2: Full casters. Favored Soul, Psion, Sorcerer, Wu Jen.
1: Elitists. Artificer, Cleric, Druid, Wizard.
0: Gods. StP Erudite, Illthid Savant, Pun-Pun, Rocks fall & you die.
[/spoiler]

Runestar

• King Kong
« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2008, 11:49:41 PM »
The sudden exposure here to what you can truly be capable of in 3e may be too much for them to handle at one go. Should we try to ease their transition somewhat? Even my foray into the old CO boards was slow and controlled, rather than me hurling headlong into it... :P
A clear conscience is the surest sign of a failing memory.