Author Topic: Warhammer Quest  (Read 1688 times)

RobbyPants

• Organ Grinder
Warhammer Quest
« on: November 17, 2010, 04:55:01 PM »
I'm not saying I'm going to try to set one of these up or anything (yet  :smirk), but two questions:

1) Has anyone ever played Warhammer Quest?

2) If so, how doable do you think it would be as a PbP?

It seems simple enough.  It's relatively rules-lite (even if you go into the expanded version, it's still more simple than D&D), and it's heavily map-based, so with a way to represent it, it seems like it could work really well.

Man, this just got me thinking.  I need to take all that home-brew stuff I made over a decade ago and put it on the computer and post it here!  :plotting
My balancing 3.5 compendium
Elemental mage test game

Quotes
[spoiler]
Quote from: Cafiend
It is a shame stupidity isn't painful.
Quote from: StormKnight
Totally true.  Historians believe that most past civilizations would have endured for centuries longer if they had successfully determined Batman's alignment.
Quote from: Grand Theft Otto
Why are so many posts on the board the equivalent of " Dear Dr. Crotch, I keep punching myself in the crotch, and my groin hurts... what should I do? How can I make my groin stop hurting?"
Quote from: CryoSilver
I suggest carving "Don't be a dick" into him with a knife.  A dull, rusty knife.  A dull, rusty, bent, flaming knife.
Quote from: Seerow
Fluffy: It's over Steve! I've got the high ground!
Steve: You underestimate my power!
Fluffy: Don't try it, Steve!
Steve: *charges*
Fluffy: *three critical strikes*
Steve: ****
Quote from: claypigeons
I don't even stat out commoners. Commoner = corpse that just isn't a zombie. Yet.
When I think "Old Testament Boots of Peace" I think of a paladin curb-stomping an orc and screaming "Your death brings peace to this land!"
Quote from: Orville_Oaksong
Buy a small country. Or Pelor. Both are good investments.
[/spoiler]

Flay Crimsonwind

• Hong Kong
  • Watching the World Burn in Magnificence
    • Email
Re: Warhammer Quest
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2010, 05:57:00 PM »
Not that I'm 100% clear on what warhammer quest is, but wouldn't it be really easy to avoid the whole spending out the ass for figurines thing to do a very chesslike map-based warhammer game over pbp? Just occurred to me how simple it is...

Assuming this is a dnd sort of rpg crossover from the warhammer universe, (internet too slow to use google fu! not enough mana!) I think it sounds like an interesting addition to the boards. Might have to... acquire those books soon.

jolt

• Domesticated Capuchin Monkey
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2010, 07:03:10 PM »
1. I loved Warhammer Quest. We played it every summer as a tradition!

2. It would be very doable on PbP.

VennDygrem

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2010, 11:35:10 AM »
Is it anything like Warhammer Fantasy RPG? A friend of mine really wanted to play that, but wouldn't run it unless he had a copy of the book physically present (which are hard to get ahold of).

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
  • You've got one round to give a rat's ass.
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2010, 11:41:04 AM »
I'm not saying I'm going to try to set one of these up or anything (yet  :smirk), but two questions:

1) Has anyone ever played Warhammer Quest?

2) If so, how doable do you think it would be as a PbP?

It seems simple enough.  It's relatively rules-lite (even if you go into the expanded version, it's still more simple than D&D), and it's heavily map-based, so with a way to represent it, it seems like it could work really well.

Man, this just got me thinking.  I need to take all that home-brew stuff I made over a decade ago and put it on the computer and post it here!  :plotting

Yes, I have. And yes, it would be doable.

If you've got a copy, could you upload the original rules to a file sharing site? Its been forever since I played, so I've forgotten most of the character building basics and the rules.

Is it anything like Warhammer Fantasy RPG? A friend of mine really wanted to play that, but wouldn't run it unless he had a copy of the book physically present (which are hard to get ahold of).

Its set in the same time and 'verse, but the playstyle is a bit different. Its designed so you can transfer your characters from Quest to Warhammer Fantasy (the wargame, not the RPG) without error. It would take forever to translate a WFRP character over.

So if you are familiar with mainstream Warhammer you're set, but if you are only familiar with WFRP you've got just bare-bones to work off of.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2010, 11:44:00 AM by Sinfire Titan »

[spoiler][/spoiler]

RobbyPants

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2010, 11:46:53 AM »
I've just been thinking about this game a lot lately.  I don't know if I have time to run a WHQ game or not.  I remember using a number of house-rules to make the game more D&D-like, but I don't remember where the printed rules ended and mine began.

It's like a very crude version of WHFR.  Have you ever played Milton Bradley's Hero Quest?  It's basically a cross between those two.  You even play the same four heroes (barbarian, dwarf, elf, wizard).

The crudest form of the game can actually be played without a GM.  You simply draw rooms off a stack as you open doors, encounters and treasure are random, and monsters all appear next to heroes (evenly distributed) and auto-attack until dead.  They have a 90-or-so page role playing guide which adds levels to the game, more equipment, a new hero type (troll slayer) and adds rules for a GM.

Basically, it's a pure d6 game.  It wreaks of old-generation RPG mechanics, but it's still a really fun beer and pretzels game.  The trick is to not take your characters too seriously as a giant rat can just rip your throat out in one hit if it gets lucky! :p
My balancing 3.5 compendium
Elemental mage test game

Quotes
[spoiler]
Quote from: Cafiend
It is a shame stupidity isn't painful.
Quote from: StormKnight
Totally true.  Historians believe that most past civilizations would have endured for centuries longer if they had successfully determined Batman's alignment.
Quote from: Grand Theft Otto
Why are so many posts on the board the equivalent of " Dear Dr. Crotch, I keep punching myself in the crotch, and my groin hurts... what should I do? How can I make my groin stop hurting?"
I suggest carving "Don't be a dick" into him with a knife.  A dull, rusty knife.  A dull, rusty, bent, flaming knife.
Quote from: Seerow
Fluffy: It's over Steve! I've got the high ground!
Steve: You underestimate my power!
Fluffy: Don't try it, Steve!
Steve: *charges*
Fluffy: *three critical strikes*
Steve: ****
Quote from: claypigeons
I don't even stat out commoners. Commoner = corpse that just isn't a zombie. Yet.
When I think "Old Testament Boots of Peace" I think of a paladin curb-stomping an orc and screaming "Your death brings peace to this land!"
Quote from: Orville_Oaksong
Buy a small country. Or Pelor. Both are good investments.
[/spoiler]