Author Topic: Anti-Antimagic: How to cast in an area where magic won't normally function!  (Read 37511 times)

Endarire

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
Anti-Antimagic: How to Cast in an Area Where Magic Won't Normally Function!

Credits & Version History
[spoiler]Credits
Jesus.  Yes, THAT Jesus!: Father, thank you for encouraging me in this, and granting me enough time to have this succeed!

awaken DM golem: He reminded me that instantaneous Metacreativity powers can be manifest into an antimagic field due to transparency.

Lycanthromancer: He reminded me of the Tinfoil Hat/Cone Head trick.

Ramaloke: He pointed out the Initiate of Mystra fine print.

snakeman830: He reminded me of Shadow Jaunt and that instantaneous Conjurations cast outside an antimagic field are unaffected..

SorO_Lost: He reminded me of using an Indigo Veil (Initiate of the Sevenfold Veil6) to deter a No Magic Zone.

Version History
1.4 (December 10, 2010)
-Added a specific section on null psionics field.
-Added a section on deterring a No-Magic Zone.
-Added credit in each section for whoever reminded me or discovered a trick.

1.3 (November 24, 2010)
-Added Shadow Jaunt and its cousins Shadow Stride and Shadow Blink.  They're all under the "Shadow Jaunt" heading.

1.2 (November 21, 2010)
-Added a link to the Order of the Stick comic that made me think an antimagic field trumped a forcecage.

1.1 (November 19, 2010)
-Instantaneous Conjurations can't be cast in an antimagic field, but their effects can be cast into one.
-Formatting changes.

1.0 (November 16, 2010)
Initial release.  This project was bigger than I expected![/spoiler]

Intro: Casting in a No-Magic Zone
A Dead Magic Zone is meant to stop magic.  As a caster, I want to ignore the "Dead" part of that phrase and be able to at least escape the place where I can't use magic normally.

If escaping the Dead Magic Zone were easy, I'd do that instead.  That isn't the problem.

Let's assume I'm already stuck in an antimagic field, a Dead Magic Zone, or some place where magic normally doesn't function.  I want to be able to cast my spiffy spells.  Here's how!

[spoiler]Credit for Discovery (Instantaneous Metacreativity Powers)
awaken DM golem

Effect
Antimagic field is known as a caster-stopper, but even it has a variety of exceptions.

The biggest exception is instantaneous Conjurations.  (Due to Magic-Psionics Transparency, instantaneous Metacreativity powers also work.)

Instantaneous Conjurations and Metacreativities
You can cast instantaneous Conjurations and Metacreativities into an antimagic field from outside the field.

Here's the deal:  An antimagic field normally prevents you from casting while inside.  If you're outside, you can safely cast instantaneous Conjurations and Metacreativities that appear in or take you into an antimagic field.

Do you know how many of those there are, even in core?

Short answer: Lots!

Sample Instantaneous Conjurations[spoiler]
-cure light wounds and other cure spells, including heal
-dimension door
-gate
-Orb spells (Spell Compendium 150-151)
-plane shift
-raise dead and other revival spells
-restoration and its lesser and greater versions
-teleport
-wall of stone[/spoiler]

Other Instantaneous Effects
All instantaneous effects remain in an areas where magic won't function.  It's just part of their nature.  That simulacrum?  Instantaneous.  Creatures you got via planar binding and planar ally?  Instantaneous.  Golems you made?  Instantaneous.  Undead you animated or created?  Instantaneous.  A gate with its interplanar transport abilities and the creatures it calls?  Instantaneous.  Seeing a trend here? 

Dimensional Anchor & Dimensional Lock
Remember, dimensional anchor and dimensional lock are suppressed in an antimagic field.  It's a niche tactic, but you can warp safely into an antimagic field instead of being stuck wherever dimensional lock would put you.

Other Noteworthy Effects
Antimagic field makes 3 notable exceptions for spells that can remain in it.  Due to how antimagic field is worded, these spells must be in effect before they enter the antimagic field!

-Wall of Force: Note how forcecage debatably applies!  (Influential Pic)
-Prismatic Sphere
-Prismatic Wall

Antimagic Field  Full Text
[spoiler]Abjuration
Level: Clr 8, Magic 6, Protection 6, Sor/Wiz 6
Components: V, S, M/DF
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: 10'
Area: 10' radius emanation, centered on you
Duration: 10 min/level (D)
Saving Throw: None
Spell Resistance: See Text

An invisible barrier surrounds you and moves with you. The space within this barrier is impervious to most magical effects, including spells, spell-like abilities, and supernatural abilities. Likewise, it prevents the functioning of any magic items or spells within its confines.

An antimagic fieldantimagic field. They reappear in the same spot once the field goes away. Time spent winked out counts normally against the duration of the conjuration that is maintaining the creature. If you cast antimagic field (The effects of instantaneous Conjurations are not affected by an antimagic field because the conjuration itself is no longer in effect, only its result.Dispel magic does not remove the field, though Mage's Disjunction might.

Two or more antimagic fields sharing any of the same space have no effect on each other. Certain spells, such as wall of force, prismatic sphere, and prismatic wall, remain unaffected by antimagic field (see the individual spell descriptions). Artifacts and deities are unaffected by mortal magic such as this.

Should a creature be larger than the area enclosed by the barrier, any part of it that lies outside the barrier is unaffected by the field.

Arcane Material Component: A pinch of powdered iron or iron filings.

Rules Compendium Addendum
An antimagic field does not block line of effect.[/spoiler][/spoiler]

[spoiler]Credit for Discovery
Ramaloke

Requires
-Patron Deity: Mystra AND one of these:

-Archivist3 (Heroes of Horror 82)
-(Cloistered) Cleric3
-Favored Soul3 (Complete Divine 6)
-Rainbow Servant10 (Complete Divine 54)
-Anyone with 3 levels of a class that grants Cleric spellcasting.  3 racial HD may work if they provide Cleric casting.  Perhaps polymorph any object into a planetar to get its Clerical casting and take Initiate of Mystra.  It probably won't fly in your games, and even if polymorph grants casting, it's still debatably legal.

Initiate of Mystra Fine Print
Quote from: Ramaloke
Initiate of Mystra can be taken by any class that can cast off the cleric spell list as per this:
Quote from: Dragon Magic, Page 15
Any character of a class that must select a deity and that uses the cleric spell list for spellcasting can treat his level in that class as if it were a cleric level for the purpose of qualifying for an initiate feat. For example, a favored soul (see Complete Divine) who had chosen Bahamut as his deity and who had reached 3rd level could select the Initiate of Bahamut feat. The character would then gain the benefit of the feat and would add the given spells to his favored soul spell list. Since the favored soul casts from a limited list of spells known, he still must add those spells to his spells known list as normal to cast them.

So Favored Souls and Archivists can pull it off too.

Initiate of Mystra Full Text (Player's Guide to Faerun 81)
[spoiler]
You can attempt to cast spells even within a dead magic zone or an antimagic field. In a dead magic zone, you must make a successful caster level check against a DC equal to 20 + the level of the spell you are trying to cast. In an antimagic field, you must make a successful caster level check against a DC equal to 11 + the caster level of the antimagic field. If this check is successful, your spell functions normally.

In addition, you may add the following spells to your cleric spell list.
  • Level
  • 2nd Spell Shield
  • 3rd Anyspell
  • 5th Spell Phylactery
  • 6th Anyspell, Greater
  • 6th Spellmantle
  • 7th Holy Star
  • Special: The anyspell and greater anyspell spells also appear on the Spell domain list. With this feat, you can cast them as regular cleric spells, not just domain spells.
[/spoiler][/spoiler]

Invoke Magic (Sor/Wiz9, Lords of Madness 212)
[spoiler]Effect
By RAW, you can debatably cast this in areas where magic won't function.  Since the point of this spell is to let you cast something in an area where magic won't work, I assume you can cast invoke magic anywhere.

If you've been subjected to an antimagic field, use dimension door, teleport, or plane shift to get out.  Alternatively, you can try to block the field's line of effect to you via wall of force, wall of stone, or stone shape.  As prudent, apply Sanctum Spell (Complete Arcane 82).

Invoke Magic Full Text[spoiler]
Evocation
Level: Sorcerer/wizard 9
Components: V, S, M
Casting Time: 1 swift action
Range: Personal
Target: You
Duration: 1 round
You cause a flicker of magic to momentarily exist in a place where magic cannot normally function, such as within the area of an antimagic field, a dead magic area, or a null-magic plane.invoke magic is a swift action, like casting a quickened spell. You can perform only one swift action each round.

Normally, you cast invoke magic and then immediately follow it by casting another spell as a standard action.

Material Component: A diamond worth at least 1,000 gp.[/spoiler][/spoiler]

Iron Heart Surge (Iron Heart3, Tome of Battle 68)
[spoiler]Requires
-Initiator Level 5
-One Iron Heart maneuver

Available To
-Eternal Blade1 (Tome of Battle 109)
-Martial Study feat takers (Tome of Battle 31) if they have at least initiator level 5.  Anyone with at least 10 HD qualifies.
-Warblade5 (Tome of Battle 20)
-Anyone with Iron Heart access and initiator level 5.

Effect
Depending on the GM's interpretation, this either removes the antimagic field (Whoa!) or prevents it from affecting me (more reasonable).

Iron Heart Surge Full Text
[spoiler]Iron Heart
Level: Warblade 3
Prerequisite: One Iron Heart maneuver
Initiation Action: 1 standard action
Range: Personal
Duration: See text

By drawing on your mental strength and physical fortitude, you break free of a debilitating state that might otherwise defeat you.

Your fighting spirit, dedication, and training allow you to overcome almost anything to defeat your enemies. When you use this maneuver, select one spell, effect, or other condition currently affecting you and with a duration of 1 or more rounds. That effect ends immediately. You also surge with confidence and vengeance against your enemies, gaining a +2 morale bonus on attack rolls until the end of your next turn[/spoiler][/spoiler]

[spoiler]Effect
Null psionics field works almost exactly like antimagic field except it's psionic.  Exceptions are noted here.

Instantaneous Conjuration (Creation) and Metacreativity (Creation Effects
You can cast or manifest these instantaneous effects into a null psionics field from outside the field.

Most intantaneous Conjurations also work in a null psionics field.

Sample Instantaneous Metacreativity (Creation) Powers[spoiler]
These are all the official powers I found, aside from greater psionic fabricate.  Metacreativity is a small discipline!

-amethyst burst (Dragon Magic 75)
-crystal shard
-crystalstorm (Complete Psionic 81)
-genesis, psionic
-fabricate, psionic
-hail of crystals
-quintessence
-swarm of crystals
-true creation, psionic
[/spoiler][/spoiler]

Shadow Jaunt (Shadow Hand2, Tome of Battle 79)
[spoiler]Credit for Reminding Me
snakeman830

Requires
-Initiator Level 3

Available To
-Ruby Knight Vindicator1 (Tome of Battle 122)
-Shadow Sun Ninja1 (Tome of Battle 126)
-Swordsage3 (Tome of Battle 16)
-Martial Study feat takers (Tome of Battle 31) if they have at least initiator level 3.  Anyone with at least 6 HD qualifies.
-Anyone with Shadow Hand access and initiator level 3.

Effect
Teleport up to 50' within line of sight and line of effect as a standard action.  This is an Extraordinary (Ex) ability.  Really.

Note
There are 2 other maneuvers- Shadow Stride (L5) and Shadow Blink (L7)- which do the same thing, but are used as a move action and a swift action respectively.  Neither has a maneuver prerequisite.

Shadow Jaunt Full Text
[spoiler]Shadow Hand
Level: Swordsage 2
Initiation Action: 1 standard action
Range: 50'
A cloud of shadow energy engulfs you, spins into a tiny mote, and disappears. A moment later, this shadowy cloud appears across the battlefield and expels you

As part of this maneuver, you disappear in a cloud of darkness and teleport up to 50 feet away. You must have line of sight and line of effect to your destination.  If you attempt to use this maneuver to move into an occupied space, you do not move, and the maneuver is expended but has no effect.[/spoiler][/spoiler]

Intro: Deterring a No-Magic Zone
Sometimes, you can prepare, and set up a defense so the No-Magic Zone doesn't affect you.  If this preparation fails, you're stuck relying on tactics in the first section.

In this section, I assume you start in an area where magic functions normally, but eventually move into a No Magic Zone.

Indigo Veil - Initiate of the Sevenfold Veil6 (Complete Arcane 46)
SorO_Lost

Requires
-Initiate of the Sevenfold Veil6.  Being able to cast your spells and SLAs out while not being affected by others' spells and SLAs requires a lenient DM.

Effect
Surround yourself or an area with the Indigo Veil   This blocks an antimagic field if cast as a spell or a spell-like ability.  It does not affecf supernatural abilities!

Debatably, the Indigo Veil lets you cast your spells and spell-like abilities out, but there's a greater case for not.  Regardless, you can still polymorph or shapechange or buff yourself into something brutal and have a greater magic immunity than most golems!

Oh yes, your foes and allies are stuck without magic.  So there.

Indigo Veil Full Text[spoiler]
Veils: When an Initiate of the Sevenfold Veil creates a warding, she can choose to imbue the warding with any one veil she knows how to create.  These veils duplicate the layers of a prismatic wall and are described below.  An Initiate's caster level for these veils is equal to her arcane spellcaster level.

Indigo Veil: A 6th-level initiate can create the mighty indigo veil. This veil prevents the passage of all spells or spell-like abilities. Any creature crossing an indigo veil must succeed on a Will save or become confused, as if by an insanity spell. A daylight spell negates and is negated by an indigo veil. A warding with this veil is the equivalent of a 7th-level spell.[/spoiler][/spoiler]

Tinfoil Hat / Cone Head - Shrink Item on a Durable Hat
Lycanthromancer

Effect
Yet another use for my Tinfoil Hat Trick.

Take a metal (or wood, or plastic, or stone, or whatever) cone/dome/box that's big enough for you to stand inside of comfortably. Cast shrink item on it. Now wear it as a hat.

When it's subjected to an antimagic field, the shrink item effect is suppressed, thereby returning the 'hat' to its normal size, which blocks the emanation effect of the AMF. This allows you to cast freely. (see: dimension door.

ED: See also teleport, plane shift, time stop, or another means of escape.  Alternatively, activate your Indigo Veil described above.)

Shrink Item Full Text[spoiler]
Transmutation
Level: Sorcerer/wizard 3
Components: V, S
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Touch
Target: One touched object of up to 2 cubic feet/level
Duration:shrink item spell can be returned to normal composition and size merely by tossing them onto any solid surface or by a word of command from the original caster. Even a burning fire and its fuel can be shrunk by this spell. Restoring the shrunken object to its normal size and composition ends the spell.

Shrink item can be made permanent with a permanency spell, in which case the affected object can be shrunk and expanded an indefinite number of times, but only by the original caster.[/b][/spoiler][/spoiler]
« Last Edit: December 10, 2010, 10:05:08 PM by Endarire »
Hood - My first answer to all your build questions; past, present, and future.

Speaking of which:
Don't even need TO for this.  Any decent Hood build, especially one with Celerity, one-rounds [Azathoth, the most powerful greater deity from d20 Cthulu].
Does it bug anyone else that we've reached the point where characters who can obliterate a greater deity in one round are considered "decent?"

snakeman830

• Organ Grinder
  • BG's resident furry min/maxxer
Correction: Instantaneous Conjurations cast outside are unaffected.  If you're inside an AMF, your casting is suppressed (with an obvious exception of Invoke Magic).  You can't Dimension Door out of there.

You can, however, use the Shadow Jaunt line of manuvers: the only Extraordinary teleportation that I know of.
I am constantly amazed by how many DM's ban Tomb of Battle.  The book doesn't even exist!

Quotes:[spoiler]
By yes, she means no.
That explains so much about my life.
hiicantcomeupwithacharacterthatisntaghostwhyisthatamijustretardedorsomething
Why would you even do this? It hurts my eyes and looks like you ate your keyboard before suffering an attack of explosive diarrhea.
[/spoiler]

If using Genesis to hide your phylactry, set it at -300 degrees farenheit.  See how do-gooders fare with a liquid atmosphere.

Endarire

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
I quote antimagic field:
"The effects of instantaneous Conjurations are not affected by an antimagic field because the conjuration itself is no longer in effect, only its result."

I see this as meaning, "You can cast instantaneous Conjurations in an AMF."

Speaking of which:
Don't even need TO for this.  Any decent Hood build, especially one with Celerity, one-rounds [Azathoth, the most powerful greater deity from d20 Cthulu].
Does it bug anyone else that we've reached the point where characters who can obliterate a greater deity in one round are considered "decent?"

Bozwevial

• Organ Grinder
  • Developing a relaxed attitude to danger.
I would read that as "their effects are not suppressed by the field, but the act of casting is." So a healed wound doesn't reopen when you walk into an AMF, but you can't conjure the positive energy to heal another wound inside the field.

betrayor

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
Agreed, you can not cast inside the antimagic field.....
But if you are outside the field you could use an instant conjuration which effect extends into the anti-magic field....
For example you could create a wall of stone that extends into the field or you could even use an orb of acid to target someone inside the field if you cast it from outside....

zugschef

• Curious George
I quote antimagic field:
"The effects of instantaneous Conjurations are not affected by an antimagic field because the conjuration itself is no longer in effect, only its result."

you cannot cast at all in an antimagic field. the quoted sentence simply means that an existing result of an instantaneous conjuration is not affected by an antimagic field, which is logical, since there is no magic involved anymore. it's the same as if lighting a campfire with one of your firespells: if you cast antimagic field and said campfire is within the field, the fire will continue to burn.

something that is questionable: what happens if you teleport into an antimagic field? do you remain on the astral plane as long as the field covers your destination, or are you shunted to a random place or does the antimagic field not bother you at all?

(and you should really work on the formatting. i totally lost track due to the intransparent structure.)

Endarire

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
How do you advise I fix the formatting?

Speaking of which:

zugschef

• Curious George
How do you advise I fix the formatting?
use numbered paragraphs, lists, a table of contents, spoilers and so forth. the headlines are too big in general and the space between two paragraphs too small. maybe you should even rethink the order of the single items.

Bastian

• Bi-Curious George
I quote antimagic field:

I agree with the others, the effects of an instantaneous conjuration are not affected but the instantaneous conjuration itself still is. Thus you can't cast them in an anti-magic field.

Endarire

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
Updated to 1.1 with corrections, clarifications, and clearer formatting.  (|=^)

Speaking of which:

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
Re: Anti-Antimagic: How to cast in an area where magic won't normally function!
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2010, 02:42:00 AM »
Forcecage

This powerful spell brings into being an immobile, invisible cubical prison composed of either bars of force or solid walls of force
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

SorO_Lost

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • I'll kill you before you're born.
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2010, 02:57:19 AM »
It should be noted antimagic doesn't block spells (well instantaneous spells fail), it suppresses them. A minor detail at a glance sure.

But, consider this. The wizard wins initiative and casts Maw of Chaos. It's the warblades turn and he uses Iron Heart Surge to remove the antimagic field. Field vanishes and Maw of Chaos is no longer being surpassed. Pick and mix to your delight.

And a submission, Iot7FV's Indigo Veil is powered from the inside and it blocks all spells, Antimagic Field is a spell and is coming from the outside. Interaction? Sounds like it's blocked to me. Sure you can't warp reality, but you can still run around as as shapechanged nero-empowered bitten by a werebear ____ while everyone else is using masterwork weapons & armor.
Tiers explained in 8 sentences. With examples!
[spoiler]Tiers break down into who has spellcasting more than anything else due to spells being better than anything else in the game.
6: Skill based. Commoner, Expert, Samurai.
5: Mundane warrior. Barbarian, Fighter, Monk.
4: Partial casters. Adapt, Hexblade, Paladin, Ranger, Spelltheif.
3: Focused casters. Bard, Beguiler, Dread Necromancer, Martial Adapts, Warmage.
2: Full casters. Favored Soul, Psion, Sorcerer, Wu Jen.
1: Elitists. Artificer, Cleric, Druid, Wizard.
0: Gods. StP Erudite, Illthid Savant, Pun-Pun, Rocks fall & you die.
[/spoiler]

Endarire

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email

Speaking of which:

Endarire

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2010, 04:11:58 AM »
1.3 is up with Shadow Jaunt.

Speaking of which:

awaken DM golem

• Organ Grinder
  • PAO'd my Avatar
« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2010, 05:53:34 PM »
Huh? Oh.

The CPsi nerfs included the Crystal Shard 1st level power.
Now I get it. And it's stoopitder than I thought.

For the purpose of psionics-magic transparency, metacreativity powers are equivalent to powers of the conjuration school (thus, creatures immune to conjuration spells are also immune to metacreativity powers).

It "ought" to function the exact same.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2010, 06:04:43 PM by awaken DM golem »

awaken DM golem

• Organ Grinder
  • PAO'd my Avatar
« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2010, 06:04:22 PM »
Ardent (or Divine Mind) with Magic Mantle = interesting and maybe

Initiate of ... interactions with Psi:

Discipline Erudite can get Cleric Spells, but not the whole list. Shaky.
Monastic Servant of Auppensser is Cleric already, but gets weird Psi extras going. Might be good.

awaken DM golem

• Organ Grinder
  • PAO'd my Avatar
« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2010, 06:06:20 PM »
The proper Discipline Erudite can get the Invoke going.
Erudite S2P can get it perhaps level 22.

Others via research ... maybe.

JaronK

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2010, 08:59:02 AM »
Shadow Jaunt (and all other teleport maneuvers) is Su.  What's it doing there?

JaronK

snakeman830

• Organ Grinder
  • BG's resident furry min/maxxer
« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2010, 10:04:29 AM »
Shadow Jaunt (and all other teleport maneuvers) is Su.  What's it doing there?

JaronK
Wrong.  Those manuvers don't have any text saying they are Supernatural and all manuevers are Extraordinary unless stated otherwise.
I am constantly amazed by how many DM's ban Tomb of Battle.  The book doesn't even exist!

Quotes:[spoiler]
By yes, she means no.
That explains so much about my life.
hiicantcomeupwithacharacterthatisntaghostwhyisthatamijustretardedorsomething
Why would you even do this? It hurts my eyes and looks like you ate your keyboard before suffering an attack of explosive diarrhea.
[/spoiler]

If using Genesis to hide your phylactry, set it at -300 degrees farenheit.  See how do-gooders fare with a liquid atmosphere.

zugschef

• Curious George
« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2010, 10:18:55 AM »
btw, i'd even use the optional rule from the planar handbook and say that the teleport-maneuvers don't even use the astral but the plane of shadow, analog to the shadowdancer.