Author Topic: The Shared Experience  (Read 3249 times)

Josh

• Brilliant Gameologist
  • Grape ape
    • Email
The Shared Experience
« on: May 01, 2008, 01:35:23 AM »
In the Brilliant Gameologists Podcast one of the things we talk about is the "Shared Experience."

We have all played a number of classic DnD adventures and a future classic is coming out soon, Keep on the Shadowfell.

My proposal is that everyone who is interested plays it and then posts about the experience.
Ennies Nominees - Best Podcast 2009

PhoenixInferno

• Hong Kong
Re: The Shared Experience
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2008, 01:54:35 AM »
Absolutely.  I plan to play it on both sides of the screen, so I'll get a little summary for both tries.

PhoenixInferno

• Hong Kong
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2008, 04:24:43 AM »
:bump: I heard a lot of stores started selling Keep on the Shadowfell early - did anyone get a chance to play it yet?

Josh

• Brilliant Gameologist
  • Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2008, 05:41:35 AM »
:bump: I heard a lot of stores started selling Keep on the Shadowfell early - did anyone get a chance to play it yet?

I have it but have not played it yet.  Still reserving judgment until I see the whole rules set.

Josh

• Brilliant Gameologist
  • Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2008, 04:32:30 AM »
Upon further consideration, I can't run it without the rules.  There are too many holes, my players aren't retarded. 

PhoenixInferno

• Hong Kong
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2008, 04:12:35 AM »
I spent like 9 hours playing Keep on the Shadowfell as the Tiefling Warlord.  I couldn't roll a d20 worth a damn.  We had the Dragonborn Paladin, Half-Elf Cleric, Human Wizard, and Halfling Rogue.  The first two encounters weren't that dangerous, but the 3rd encounter we had was very hard -actually a TPK.  But when we broke for dinner, I discovered that somehow, a corrected Warlord become available so we decided to rerun the encounter we TPK'd at, with different characters.  I switched to Wizard and Paladin->Warlord, Rogue->Paladin, Wizard->Fighter.  I didn't feel like we needed a Rogue, although the tougher enemies might have gone down faster, but I thought more staying power was more useful.

brislove

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2008, 05:09:47 AM »
I have run about 5 hours of just plain encounters (with a couple friends for play-testing) and another 3 hours with a full group of players. I DMd the whole time.

I like it from a DMing aspect, I love minions, LOVE THEM. they are a rules abstraction, but they do damage, they are dangerous, and they help the baddies tactically. I also think they make players feel more heroic.

Too many minions may be unbalancing to the party, I don't think you should use more than 2.5x PCs. if you have 5 I think 8-10 minions with 3-4 normal guys is about the most you can use without danger of impending doom because your wizard missed with scorching burst.

really if you never have more then 4 minions per normal monster, and you stay in the encounter design XP range you should be fine.

Sleep is still an encounter winner, it pretty much owned the elite that we fought. slowed him so he couldn't get to us, then he fell asleep, and everyone surrounded and blew their highest damage abilities on him while he was prone. then he stood up, took some AOOs, and got tripped by the fighter the next round and damage ensued once again.

The rogue is excellent, but his damage didn't seem outlandish for a striker, the other strikers (from the D&D exp) do comparable damage to sneak attack (less, but not massively so) however they don't need to have combat advantage, and rogues can only sneak attack once per round.