Author Topic: What if prereqs were instead HD-based?  (Read 3985 times)

Mixster

• Grape ape
Re: What if prereqs were instead HD-based?
« Reply #20 on: November 19, 2010, 04:26:52 PM »
Isn't the scaling feats a little like what the Tome house rules are trying to do?

If so, I think I'm against this system.
Why?

Because tome has the idea of buffing all the classes, by making feats better, but mainly buffing the martial classes.
Now a lot of tier 3 and above classes already laugh when you come with "level appropriate" encounters. A level 12 wizard have little problems taking out anything that is level 12.
If you just buff the martial classes, you've just made the gap between player classes and monsters bigger. Or you need to re-write all monster entries.

A better solution would be to make the casters worse, instead of making the martials better. That would create an even ground with the monsters, making encounters more deadly.

The issue with 3.5 is IMO not that the fighter is to weak compared to monsters. But that the wizard is to strong compared to the monsters.

Make the fighter better and you just skew this more in favor of the Player Characters, which makes the game rather stupid IMO, making the DM have to use CR15 mobs to make the encounters fair, thereby messing up the experience system.
Monks are pretty much the best designed class ever.

JaronK

Meep Meep - Mixster out

bearsarebrown

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #21 on: November 19, 2010, 04:33:52 PM »
The CR and experience system never worked in the first place, as you admitted in your post.

Bozwevial

• Organ Grinder
  • Developing a relaxed attitude to danger.
« Reply #22 on: November 19, 2010, 04:44:49 PM »
Tome addresses the CR and experience system at the same time as feats and classes.

X-Codes

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #23 on: November 19, 2010, 04:56:48 PM »
I prefer the Tome feats to this, and I also prefer not allowing [Combat] or [Skill] feats as bonus feats, ever.  I also favor having some feats using these feats as pre-reqs, as a refinement of the abilities granted by the feat that a character may or may not be interested in.  These feats could be taken as bonus feats.

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #24 on: November 19, 2010, 05:07:34 PM »
Rather than scale by [Fighter] feats I'd scale it by BAB for warrior capabilities.
Limiting the advancement to levels in a single class sortof screws over non-Fighter warriors.

What feats do non-fighter warriors commonly take that aren't on the fighter bonus feat list?
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.