Author Topic: Dread Necromancer... MORE SPELLS!  (Read 3146 times)

JaronK

• Organ Grinder
Dread Necromancer... MORE SPELLS!
« on: July 06, 2008, 09:12:16 PM »
So, I'm playing a Dread Necromancer, currently level 8, in a low magic evil campaign.  So far it's going quite well, but I'm running into an issue... Advanced Learning just ain't enough to get all the nifty spells I want.  My first two advanced learnings went to Ghoul Glyph and Black Sand... very useful long term spells (I prefer spells with long lasting effects, especially on a spontaneous caster).  However, the next Advanced Learning (for 5th and 6th level spells) is going to be one heck of a hard choice.  I really want Haunt Shift, Awaken Undead, and Animate Dread Warrior.  There are others I'd like, but those three are huge for my long term plans of world domination.  So, without assuming access to specific magical gear, how can I get those three spells?  Advanced Learning only gets me one of them.  Spell Stitching is one possible method, but I don't intend to turn into a Necropolitan myself, and finding a Wis 19 minion for Spell Stitching is hard (plus IIRC you need a Wizard or Sorcerer to actually do it, and I lack either one).  So yeah, anyone got any good ideas for getting those spells onto my list?  Note that my Wisdom score is rather poor, so Arcane Disciple is right out.  I'd also prefer to stay pure Dread Necromancer (as turning into a Lich is fun), but if there's some awesome option I might take it.

JaronK

ninjarabbit

• Hong Kong
    • Email
Re: Dread Necromancer... MORE SPELLS!
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2008, 10:28:19 PM »
Liberal interpretation of the extra spell feat?

JaronK

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2008, 10:44:57 PM »
Yeah, I thought about that, but feats are tight (I wasn't allowed to be human, so the first three feats had to be Tomb Tainted Soul, Corpse Crafter, and Sickening Grasp, with Imperious Command coming next, so nothing until level 12).  Also, that only gets me one spell per feat.  Might work, but I was hoping for something a bit better.

JaronK

ksbsnowowl

• Grape ape
  • Wishing I was a raging Norseman
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2008, 12:22:32 AM »
I was just looking through my brother-in-law's Dragon Compendium today, and there was a heritage or bloodline feat meant for sorcerers that was necromancy-based.  It would add 9 or 10 spells to your spells known.  Even though it was meant for sorcerers, the wording would allow a Dread Necromancer to take it.

I don't recall what the spells were offhand, but chances are they were all Core and on your list to begin with.  Not sure if it will help, but it is at least worth a look.

On a somewhat related note, there were similar feats for all the elements, and a few other things (plants, fey, etc.)  I'm pretty sure that the wording would allow you to take any of them, and they were super broken (each feat would grant you 9 more spells known [1 for each spell level]).
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist.

KSB Snow Owl's Archer Build thread

ksbsnowowl

• Grape ape
  • Wishing I was a raging Norseman
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2008, 12:52:57 AM »
Here is another idea.  If Runestaves can be made with more spells than those in the MIC (I think they can, but could be wrong), you could then use the Use Magic Device skill to emulate having said spells on your class spell list.

It's not perfect, requires an item, and the investment of skill points, but it would work (if runestaves of other spells can be made).
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist.

KSB Snow Owl's Archer Build thread

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
  • You've got one round to give a rat's ass.
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2008, 02:10:36 PM »
Here is another idea.  If Runestaves can be made with more spells than those in the MIC (I think they can, but could be wrong), you could then use the Use Magic Device skill to emulate having said spells on your class spell list.

It's not perfect, requires an item, and the investment of skill points, but it would work (if runestaves of other spells can be made).

There is a section in the MiC that has the rules for crafting new Runestaves.

[spoiler][/spoiler]

JaronK

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2008, 06:02:06 PM »
The Runestaff solution might work, but the problem is that it's such a low magic campaign.  As such, getting a custom staff is extremely difficult, even before we deal with the issue of needing UMD on a class that doesn't have it as a class skill (due to the low magic issue, my Charisma is only 20 at level 8... I've yet to find a Charisma boosting item).

Now, one option for making new magic items is that I could Planar Bind a Midguard Dwarf, kill him, and raise him, then force him to make what I want, but they only have Craft Wonderous Item, Craft Arms and Armour, and Craft Ring.

JaronK

Chemus

• Donkey Kong
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2008, 07:51:24 PM »
Do undead have XP to spend?
*waves hand* This is not the sig you're looking for...
The freely downloadable and searchable 3.5 SRD I prefer (Web)
Camlen, Enniwey

JaronK

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2008, 07:52:05 PM »
Well, I've never seen anything to indicate otherwise.  They're intelligent Undead after all (I was going to make them as Bone Creatures).

JaronK

Brainpiercing

• Hong Kong
  • Thread Killer
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2008, 07:13:17 AM »
Well, I've never seen anything to indicate otherwise.  They're intelligent Undead after all (I was going to make them as Bone Creatures).

JaronK
Well, you'll probably still have to ask your DM for an undead under your command to GAIN XP while under your command. Normally as long as they do stuff for you it's you getting the XP for the stuff they kill.
Maybe your Midguard dwarf will still have a bit of XP left over, but that will be used up after a while.

JaronK

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2008, 07:20:57 AM »
That's the joy of necromancers.  If he gets used up... get a new one!

JaronK