Author Topic: Tier System for Classes  (Read 616234 times)

JaronK

• Organ Grinder
Re: Tier System for Classes
« Reply #40 on: July 10, 2008, 06:20:42 AM »
Yeah, well, I'm leaving out the PrCs.  If a build includes PrCs, you'd have to judge what Tier those would be and average things a bit.

It's too hard to do a list for the PrCs though.  There's tons of them, and they have drastically different effects depending on what class you use with them.

JaronK

Kuroimaken

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #41 on: July 11, 2008, 01:19:41 AM »
Kuroimaken:   So, I'm guessing that's sort of standard behavior for those element types.  What would you say is the powered up version?  As in, if you were optimizing that class to be really strong, what would you do, and how would it look, especially compared to an equally optimized similar class?

Also, how would you rate the Fire Shugenja compared to a Warmage, and the Air Shugenja to a Beguiler?  Not really sure if there's easy direct comparisons to other classes though.

JaronK

Well, I'm afraid things are not quite that simple. Basically, Shugenja get quite a few spells from both the Wiz/Sorc list as well as the Cleric list, and even a couple off the Druid's. Their favored element only defines their "main" function, so to speak, and bars some options to him, but the class itself is quite customizable. I think you'd be hard-pressed to find an order with too many useless spells on their lists, and last I checked pretty much every order's list has at least one spell you can't get from being just a regular Shugenja (such as Fireball, albeit at a higher level).

That said, though, between a Fire Shugenja and a Warmage, I'd still put my chips on the former. NOTHING on the Warmage's class abilities outshine the Fire Shugenja's (compared) versatility. As someone once said, if you know THE best way to deliver damage, you don't need 16 other ways to do it. They don't have world-shattering potential, though, so no good for tier 2.

As for Air Shugenja versus Beguiler, they get 9th-level spells, which I believe should speak for itself, even though their choices of such spells may be a bit dull. Whereas the Air Shugenja is a wannabe Illusionist, the Beguiler feels like a pimped-out wannabe Air Shugenja to me. Also, unlike the Beguiler, the Air Shugenja STILL has some offensive options left.

Water Shugenja and Earth Shugenja are harder toss-ups, though, because they don't really have an equivalent class. If I had to hazard a guess, the Water Shugenja could be compared to the Healer (and he still kicks significantly more rear in that regard), but the Earth Shugenja really has no equivalent.

Unfortunately, the real problem with Shugenja is that they didn't really get anything added to their list after Complete Divine came out, and as such they're significantly more gimped than a Favored Soul (who actually chooses spells from the Cleric list). Their real strength comes from access to spells from a mixed list.
Gendou Ikari is basically Gregory House in Kaminashades. This is FACT.

For proof, look here:

http://www.layoutjelly.com/image_27/gendo_ikari/

[SPOILER]
Which Final Fantasy Character Are You?
Final Fantasy 7
My Unitarian Jihad Name is: Brother Katana of Enlightenment.
Get yours.[/SPOILER]

I HAVE BROKEN THE 69 INTERNETS BARRIER!

Operation Shoestring

• King Kong
  • Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
    • Email
« Reply #42 on: July 11, 2008, 07:01:49 AM »
Kuroimaken:   So, I'm guessing that's sort of standard behavior for those element types.  What would you say is the powered up version?  As in, if you were optimizing that class to be really strong, what would you do, and how would it look, especially compared to an equally optimized similar class?

Also, how would you rate the Fire Shugenja compared to a Warmage, and the Air Shugenja to a Beguiler?  Not really sure if there's easy direct comparisons to other classes though.

JaronK

Well, I'm afraid things are not quite that simple. Basically, Shugenja get quite a few spells from both the Wiz/Sorc list as well as the Cleric list, and even a couple off the Druid's. Their favored element only defines their "main" function, so to speak, and bars some options to him, but the class itself is quite customizable. I think you'd be hard-pressed to find an order with too many useless spells on their lists, and last I checked pretty much every order's list has at least one spell you can't get from being just a regular Shugenja (such as Fireball, albeit at a higher level).

That said, though, between a Fire Shugenja and a Warmage, I'd still put my chips on the former. NOTHING on the Warmage's class abilities outshine the Fire Shugenja's (compared) versatility. As someone once said, if you know THE best way to deliver damage, you don't need 16 other ways to do it. They don't have world-shattering potential, though, so no good for tier 2.

As for Air Shugenja versus Beguiler, they get 9th-level spells, which I believe should speak for itself, even though their choices of such spells may be a bit dull. Whereas the Air Shugenja is a wannabe Illusionist, the Beguiler feels like a pimped-out wannabe Air Shugenja to me. Also, unlike the Beguiler, the Air Shugenja STILL has some offensive options left.

Beguilers get access to Program Memory (or whatever that spell was called), which, depending on the campaign, may outweigh the Shugenja's advantages alone.  And they get the Shadow conj/evo spells.  They're versatile enough.  And isn't beguiler a possible entry class for Shadowcraft mage?

Water Shugenja and Earth Shugenja are harder toss-ups, though, because they don't really have an equivalent class. If I had to hazard a guess, the Water Shugenja could be compared to the Healer (and he still kicks significantly more rear in that regard), but the Earth Shugenja really has no equivalent.

Unfortunately, the real problem with Shugenja is that they didn't really get anything added to their list after Complete Divine came out, and as such they're significantly more gimped than a Favored Soul (who actually chooses spells from the Cleric list). Their real strength comes from access to spells from a mixed list.

That's why the Wu Jen is poorly regarded as well, They're neat, but their spell-list was never updated.  For that matter, neither was the beguiler's.

Kuroimaken

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #43 on: July 11, 2008, 01:50:29 PM »
Beguilers get access to Program Memory (or whatever that spell was called), which, depending on the campaign, may outweigh the Shugenja's advantages alone.  And they get the Shadow conj/evo spells.  They're versatile enough.  And isn't beguiler a possible entry class for Shadowcraft mage?

They don't. I checked. Unless they got their spell list updated in another book.

That's why the Wu Jen is poorly regarded as well, They're neat, but their spell-list was never updated.  For that matter, neither was the beguiler's.

And Shugenja get 9th-level spells, which Beguilers don't.

For proof, look here:

[SPOILER]
Final Fantasy 7
Get yours.[/SPOILER]

NineInchNall

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
  • I am NOT a cat.
    • Email
« Reply #44 on: July 11, 2008, 03:33:06 PM »

They don't. I checked. Unless they got their spell list updated in another book.

Beguilers have dominate monster and use advanced learning to snag mindrape.  Beguilers have greater invisibility at its appropriate level.  Beguilers have mind fog.  Beguilers have glibness.

Beguilers win at mind control.

And Beguiler is a fantastic entry into Shadowcraft Mage, so there's always that.

False.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2008, 03:37:12 PM by NineInchNall »

awaken DM golem

• Organ Grinder
  • PAO'd my Avatar
« Reply #45 on: July 11, 2008, 05:35:22 PM »
Quote from: JaronK
1)  To provide a ranking system so that DMs know roughly the power of the PCs in their group.

:review ... thinks ...
You know, it occurs to me that even a total noob can Gestalt NPC classes, considering the rules are available in the SRD.
Throw in Forlorn flaw - the one that turns the Adept's Familiar into a feat - and Limited Set Optimizing is available.

Any Class worse than straight Gestalted NPC classes gets a zero (0).
Any Class worse than optimized Gestalted NPC Classes gets a one (1).
Any Class worse than an un-Gestalted NPC Class gets a negative one (-1).

The old TO-board had a thread on Adept Vs. Fighter. If the Fighter started out of range, it always lost. Ouch.

JaronK

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #46 on: July 11, 2008, 05:50:07 PM »

Um... what?  Yes they do.  Beguilers are full casters.

JaronK

Tshern

• Clown Prince of Crime
  • Organ Grinder
  • Aistii valoa auttavasti
    • Email
« Reply #47 on: July 11, 2008, 08:39:20 PM »
the old TO-board had a thread on Adept Vs. Fighter. If the Fighter started out of range, it always lost. Ouch.
I think you are overestimating a bit. Fighter held his own for, I recall, three or four first levels.

Handy Links

SorO_Lost

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • I'll kill you before you're born.
« Reply #48 on: July 11, 2008, 11:02:32 PM »
Online vestiges? Link please (its not in the web enhancements).
Tiers explained in 8 sentences. With examples!
[spoiler]Tiers break down into who has spellcasting more than anything else due to spells being better than anything else in the game.
6: Skill based. Commoner, Expert, Samurai.
5: Mundane warrior. Barbarian, Fighter, Monk.
4: Partial casters. Adapt, Hexblade, Paladin, Ranger, Spelltheif.
3: Focused casters. Bard, Beguiler, Dread Necromancer, Martial Adapts, Warmage.
2: Full casters. Favored Soul, Psion, Sorcerer, Wu Jen.
1: Elitists. Artificer, Cleric, Druid, Wizard.
0: Gods. StP Erudite, Illthid Savant, Pun-Pun, Rocks fall & you die.
[/spoiler]

Chemus

• Donkey Kong
« Reply #49 on: July 11, 2008, 11:19:06 PM »
There are a lot of links in the Consolidated Binder Handbook thread, by jameswilliamogle.
*waves hand* This is not the sig you're looking for...
The freely downloadable and searchable 3.5 SRD I prefer (Web)
Camlen, Enniwey

Kuroimaken

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #50 on: July 11, 2008, 11:58:40 PM »
Are we talking about the same class here? The Beguiler I refer to is in PHB2.

For proof, look here:

[SPOILER]
Final Fantasy 7
Get yours.[/SPOILER]

AfterCrescent

• Honorary Moderator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Here After
« Reply #51 on: July 12, 2008, 12:01:10 AM »
Are we talking about the same class here? The Beguiler I refer to is in PHB2.
I hope so. Since the only other Beguiler is a race in the Shining South supplement.  But let's double check.

Player's Handbook II? Check
Page 7? Check
Table 1-1? Check
9th level spells? Check
The cake is a lie.
Need to play table top? Get your game on at:
Brilliant Gameologists' PbP Forum. Do it, you know you want to.
The 3.5 Cleric Handbook
The 13th Guard - An alternate history campaign idea.
Clerics just wake up one morning and decide they need to kick ass, and it needs to be kicked NOW. ~veekie

Kuroimaken

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #52 on: July 12, 2008, 12:02:24 AM »
Okay, that's just plain freaky. I can't find its spell list anywhere. There's only a reference to it in the "new spells" chapter.

Edit: Ah, found it. Though the location is quite bizarre.

For proof, look here:

[SPOILER]
Final Fantasy 7
Get yours.[/SPOILER]

Kuroimaken

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #53 on: July 12, 2008, 12:13:58 AM »
I retract my previous statement. A Beguiler has a much better spell list than the Air Shugenja -- though the Air Shugenja still gets a few utilitarian spells that the Beguiler doesn't have in his regular list. I suppose I'd rank the Beguiler higher than the Air Shugenja if anything due to sheer number of spells known and because there are practically no Divine PrCs that would enable them to expand their repertoire (or at similar ranks with the air shugenja lagging a bit behind). Although, they serve quite different roles, so I'm still a bit torn.

Awww, if only for the lack of shadow spells on his class list, the Shugenja could be in for Shadowcraft Mage too (although the skill requirements make that awkward).

For proof, look here:

[SPOILER]
Final Fantasy 7
Get yours.[/SPOILER]

JaronK

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #54 on: July 12, 2008, 06:38:19 AM »
Online vestiges? Link please (its not in the web enhancements).

Hopefully Chemus's link gave you all of them (I believe it does).  The big one that bumps the Binder up a Tier is the one that lets you cast Summon Monster every five rounds as though you were a Sorcerer of your Binder level (so a Binder 16 could cast Summon Monster 8 once every five rounds, and it would last 16 rounds).  You can get tons of effects out of that, and one feat brings it down to one every four rounds, so said 16th level Binder could have 4 such creatures up at once by continually casting at every chance.  It's seriously scary to watch.

Also there's the vestige that gives you any item creation feat you want at the beginning of the day... very handy with the Anima Mage PrC.

JaronK

Sunic_Flames

• Organ Grinder
  • The Crusader of Logic.
« Reply #55 on: July 12, 2008, 11:15:31 AM »
I'm not that familiar with the Binder. Is there a way to Extend that? 8 summons at once (or 8d3 or 8d4+8) = yes please.
Smiting Imbeciles since 1985.

If you hear this music, run.

And don't forget:

There is no greater contribution than Hi Welcome.

Huge amounts of people are fuckwits. That doesn't mean that fuckwit is a valid lifestyle.

IP proofing and avoiding being CAPed OR - how to make characters relevant in the long term.

Friends don't let friends be Short Bus Hobos.

[spoiler]
Sunic may be more abrasive than sandpaper coated in chainsaws (not that its a bad thing, he really does know what he's talking about), but just posting in this thread without warning and telling him he's an asshole which, if you knew his past experiences on WotC and Paizo is flat-out uncalled for. Never mind the insults (which are clearly 4Chan-level childish). You say people like Sunic are the bane of the internet? Try looking at your own post and telling me you are better than him.

Here's a fun fact: You aren't. By a few leagues.
[/spoiler]

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #56 on: July 12, 2008, 11:44:41 AM »
You forgot that everything you summon gains the pseudonatural template.
My work
The tier system in a nutshell:
[spoiler]Tier 6: A cartographer.
Tier 5: An expert cartographer or a decent marksman.
Tier 4: An expert marksman.
Tier 3: An expert marksman, cartographer and chef who can tie strong knots and is trained in hostage negotiation or a marksman so good he can shoot down every bullet fired by a minigun while armed with a rusted single-shot pistol that veers to the left.
Tier 2: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything, or the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.
Tier 1: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything and the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.[/spoiler]

Kuroimaken

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #57 on: July 12, 2008, 03:12:25 PM »
I'm not that familiar with the Binder. Is there a way to Extend that? 8 summons at once (or 8d3 or 8d4+8) = yes please.

Extend Supernatural Ability can do it 1/day. Can be taken multiple times but you can't extend the same supernatural ability more than once.

For proof, look here:

[SPOILER]
Final Fantasy 7
Get yours.[/SPOILER]

awaken DM golem

• Organ Grinder
  • PAO'd my Avatar
« Reply #58 on: July 12, 2008, 05:35:18 PM »
the old TO-board had a thread on Adept Vs. Fighter. If the Fighter started out of range, it always lost. Ouch.
I think you are overestimating a bit. Fighter held his own for, I recall, three or four first levels.
hmm ... http://forums.gleemax.com/wotc_archive/index.php/t-831774.html

Variously, the Adept can stick a save-or-suck on the Fighter.
Stretching things, an Adept can get a Scroll of Polymorph = ouch on Fighter.

But this is just 1 on 1.
In a party I'd rather have the Fighter.

Arisocrat / Adept gestalt with Mercantile feat, has enough dough to buy the Scroll of Polymorph, without cheesy discounts.

Cyrocloud

• Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #59 on: July 13, 2008, 01:43:58 PM »
You forgot that everything you summon gains the pseudonatural template.

I remember before I got CArcane and only had the ELH and saw this, damn was I dissapointed when I found out the truth.