Author Topic: What type of Mini's do you use.  (Read 10110 times)

Dragon Snack

• Curious George
    • Dragon Snack Games and Entertainment
    • Email
Re: What type of Mini's do you use.
« Reply #40 on: August 06, 2008, 12:24:44 PM »
So post some pics then...
Visit my Message Boards (they're strangely familiar) and my Blog...

If you look at the entire history of the RPG industry, you'll see the same, long, sad story: a mountain of conventional wisdom, usually backed by selective listening, that leads to a long chain of failed games and bad ideas. - Mike Mearls

BowenSilverclaw

• Organ Grinder
  • Walking that fine line between genius and insanity
    • Email
« Reply #41 on: August 06, 2008, 01:39:31 PM »
Agreed, now you got me curious, Bobismyrhino :)

"Weakness? Come test thy mettle against me, hairless ape, and we shall know who is weak!"

Quote from: J0lt
You caught a fish.  It was awesome.   :lol

PhoenixInferno

• Hong Kong
« Reply #42 on: August 06, 2008, 02:23:49 PM »
Pics, or your minis are still unpainted! :)

BobismyRhino

• Hong Kong
  • *baby Bob kiss* MUAH!
    • Email
« Reply #43 on: August 06, 2008, 07:51:13 PM »
Tell aftercrescent to fix my battery charger for my camera and I'll post some pics!  :P

People usually think that I've lost my mind. I haven't lost it, I know exactly where it is: the gutter.

My body is a temple. That is why I make chocolate sacrifices in it every day.

brokenoakleys

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #44 on: August 07, 2008, 11:33:12 PM »
I volunteered to DM on 'game day' for the 4E debut.  Since I was the only DM I got to keep the whole box of minis that came with the set.  After giving a few away I still have 5 white dragons and more skeletons than I can turn with a natural 20.  :D

I also have an old bag of lead minis I painted back in the days I had 20/20 vision.  They are my favorite.   :)

I also have some Heroscape figures, but their stands are too big for the battle grid.  Odd, given they come from Hasbro.  They are also fairly expensive.   :-\

For d20 modern I use flat paper figures mounted on cardboard.  You can get those real cheap online, and either make them into standup '3d' paper triangles or mount them flat like the old wargaming pieces.  I'd recommend the flat option over standup version, as one sneeze will tend to simulate a tactical nuclear warhead.   :o

For 'bloodied' and 'marked' in 4E I'm going to experiment with colored squares I cut out of foam doorhangers bought at Hobby Lobby. 
« Last Edit: August 07, 2008, 11:37:15 PM by brokenoakleys »

CountArioch

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • I <3 termites
« Reply #45 on: August 08, 2008, 01:12:04 AM »
Pics, or your minis are still unpainted! :)

She hasn't come to crush your bones, nor tear your flesh
She has come to steal your sanity with just one glance

Sacrapos - At First Glance, Eluveitie

BobismyRhino

• Hong Kong
  • *baby Bob kiss* MUAH!
    • Email
« Reply #47 on: August 09, 2008, 08:12:57 AM »
Jeeeeeez! You guys are really fucking bossy! I kinda like it

Here:
[spoiler]
My (dusty) Nightmare:

My silver dragon:

So yeah, no being too critical. I dropped the dragon the MINUTE after I had finished it... A ton of paint chipped off and part of the fucker's wing went into my toe. It hurt. I was pissed (and bleeding). I just recently managed to put my anger aside and patch him up... but he'll never be the same. You can tell where the paint chipped off... But I at least made an effort to patch him up. Yes the dragon is a he.

And the Nightmare... I just haven't been taking care of it so it's dusty and some paint's missing. It was my first mini ever, YAY! [/spoiler]

Now, if you'll excuse me! I'm running on VERY little sleep and I have to work all day tomorrow and tomorrow night. Zzzz!
« Last Edit: August 09, 2008, 08:16:33 AM by BobismyRhino »

People usually think that I've lost my mind. I haven't lost it, I know exactly where it is: the gutter.

ZeroSum

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #48 on: August 25, 2008, 01:32:00 PM »
I've used dice and beads, Reaper/Ral Partha, D&D Minis and Mage Knight in different campaigns.  I'm liking Mage Knight right now because you can buy lots of them on eBay at 25 cents a piece shipped, total.

TheChrisWaits

• Honorary Moderator
  • Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #49 on: December 16, 2008, 08:37:35 PM »
Sorry to be such a thread necromancer, but I figured it would be better than posting a new topic on the subject.

I think I'm going to start using Legos for my minis. I just bought a 1.5" grid, and the 4x4 lego plates fit perfectly in the squares. They'll make great bases for the minifigs. Has anyone else tried this, and are there recommendations for approximating some common D&D creatures (goblins, kobolds, orcs, drow, etc.)?

wO-_-OdrOw

• Bi-Curious George
  • "I do not exist," we faithfully insist.
    • Facebook
« Reply #50 on: December 17, 2008, 12:13:23 AM »
Let's all post some pics (but don't forget about the Lego question above). But seriously, DragonSnack, let's see something. Mine probably won't come for a week or so; I don't keep my minis with me.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2008, 01:00:33 AM by wO-_-OdrOw »
Mine's been a yard carefully surface-tended, foxes burrowed underground.
<--Warlord CCG, NOT DnD

BobismyRhino

• Hong Kong
  • *baby Bob kiss* MUAH!
    • Email
« Reply #51 on: December 17, 2008, 03:52:22 AM »
I never realized how simple and unimpressive my minis were until I met someone that was AMAZING at painting minis. He does warhammer minis... And they are gorgeous.

He told me about putting rods into the minis to make them stand better, how to make the minis look more lifelike, and even showed me how he put moss and small rocks on the bases of his minis to make them look more awesome than they already are!

I want to be awesome too.  :(

As for the LEGOs used as DND minis... I honestly wouldn't know how to work that out. But AC did something similiar (for a short while) using Megaman figures. He and our mutual friend spent like, 12 dollars on cheap plastic figures that you get from those 25 cent vending thingers... But for bigger creatures, I believe he used objects like coke cans, etc. I think. My other friend who's a DM has done that too.  :rollseyes DMs...

TheChrisWaits

• Honorary Moderator
  • Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #52 on: December 17, 2008, 04:35:02 AM »
My intent is to make them actually look similar to what it's supposed to be.

BobismyRhino

• Hong Kong
  • *baby Bob kiss* MUAH!
    • Email
« Reply #53 on: December 17, 2008, 12:36:33 PM »
Use Sculpey (I think that's how you spell it) to make the creatures?

Sculpey's a clay that you can mold and then bake so that it hardens. The only issues that would arise is that they would be fragile figurines-they break really easily, and depending on your molding skill... you might have been better with just using the coke can.  :p

Or you could use aluminum foil to shape out the creatures you need. "A gargantuan swan attacks!"  :lol I amuse myself. 

Dragon Snack

• Curious George
    • Dragon Snack Games and Entertainment
    • Email
« Reply #54 on: December 20, 2008, 10:07:09 PM »
But seriously, DragonSnack, let's see something.
I started another thread over on the Kitchen Sink forums, since this isn't only D&D related (and I actually don't even use most of those minis I'm showing off)...

And I'm going to burn your hot pants for calling me out.  Nothing personal, I just have to set some ground rules here or pretty soon everybody and their mother will be calling me out...
Visit my Message Boards (they're strangely familiar) and my Blog...

If you look at the entire history of the RPG industry, you'll see the same, long, sad story: a mountain of conventional wisdom, usually backed by selective listening, that leads to a long chain of failed games and bad ideas. - Mike Mearls